My old computer is dead: long live my new CHROMEBOOK

by Terry 34 Replies latest jw friends

• GodZoo
  • Simon
    Simon
    MS Office is a standard

It's not a standard in the "conforms to a standardized body's spec", it's just very common.

You really can't go wrong with a Chromebook. Unless you need serious Oomph for creative / design apps or serious games then it will do all you need without all of the frustrations of running a Windows machine. I can even develop on them using cloud based IDE's (although most of the time I use my mac book).

You can reset it any time to default state and it's always kept up-to-date. Having everything on the cloud means it's instantly switchable so even if it blows up you just sign on to another one and boom, everything is there.

The low-management overhead make them fantastic for education and they are also good if you are the "IT Person" in your family. No more having to support relatives copies of Windows and deal with their computer issues - always tell them to get a Chromebook.

• Simon
    Simon
    BTW: If you have Windows 8+ you can switch Chrome to run in a Chromebook-like mode so you can try it out and see if you'd be happy with it before switching completely.
  • Terry
    Terry

Punishment for installing Windows 10. . .

Ha-ha, I love the punishment!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNgvfM1X6wU

• under the radar
    under the radar

Congratulations, Terry, on (1) not losing anything when Zeus took out your Toshiba and (2) getting a shiny new laptop that can do everything you want and is much better than its predecessor, but most of all (3) having a wonderful son who obviously loves you.

You just won the trifecta of good karma, my friend! You deserve it. Enjoy!

(Now put that new Chromebook to good use and tell us some more of your wonderful stories.)

• GodZoo
    GodZoo

Acer? lol, they make the worse products in the entire IT industry. Throwaway junk.

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/laptop-brand-ratings

• compound complex
    compound complex

Wonderful, Terry, but what about your drawing deeply from the writer's inkwell, as pen goes to parchment?

CC

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

GodZoo...why did you even post that? Did you even read it? Or see how old the article is? Aheesh. Acer computers have come a long way, have many top rated computers.... and Terry sounds like he is very happy with it.

Congrats on the new computer Terry!

• Terry
    Terry

Acer? lol, they make the worse products in the entire IT industry. Throwaway junk.

Acer has made its share of junk, to be sure. But, Consumer Reports gave it top marks and they are a testing lab I trust. Plus, I watched about a dozen reviews from various sources on YouTube.

I super happy with the performance so far, having spent a good solid eight hours doing everything I can think of.

• kaik
    kaik
    The best laptop I ever owned, was Toshiba. My mom's husband managed to drop it from the table on the floor and cracking the motherboard. I replaced it with Samsung, and this was the worst laptop ever. On my second year, it caught on fire by the charger. While I backing up data regularly, I lost collection of JW files that I downloaded couple days earlier. I use also Cloud so, I have now my school projects stored there. One things I learned that paying $$$ for laptop is not that worth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit