Comments You Will Not Hear at the 3-16-03 WT Study

by blondie 55 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

WT Study March 16 Have Love Among Yourselves from WT Feb 1, 2003 Can You be Happy and Secure in Your Work?

How is a good JW to feel towards these weak brothers and sisters? Blondie covered very well the obvious contradiction WT members have just been put in to. Over and over JW’s have been told to avoid "worldly" association, avoid “worldly” family, avoid “bad association” - even from within the congregation. The evidence that this message has been received and assimilated is evident by a visit to any congregation. Once a brother or sister is caught in a sin, they are overnight pariahs. That this article has the gall to state “...this outstanding love is observable today among genuine disciples .” is astounding. Only devout JW’s could swallow this whole. Since their only association is other brothers and sisters in good standing, how could they ever find out there is more love outside the organization? (See above)

Demand Brotherly Love

There is potential, however, for xJW’s to use this article to their advantage. I wonder if this article would be handy for anyone attempting the fade and fearing the next elder’s visit will catch them in a disfellowshipping offence.

para. 3 ...

take Paul’s admonition to heart and endeavour to show love for one another “in fuller measure.”

para. 4

In the same inspired letter, Paul encouraged his fellow believers to “speak consolingly to the depressed souls” and to “support the weak.” (I Thessalonians 4:14) On another occasion, he reminded Christians that those “who are strong ought to bear the weaknesses of those not strong.” (Romans 15:1)

para. 9

Just as what was lost remained precious in the eyes of the shepherd and the woman, so those who have drifted away and lost contact with God’s people remain precious in Jehovah’s eyes. (Jeremiah 31:3) Such individuals may be spiritually weak, yet they are not necessarily rebellious. Despite their weakened state, to some extent they may still be keeping Jehovah’s requirements. (Psalm 119:176; Acts 15:29) Hence, as in times past, Jehovah is slow to “cast them away from before his face.” 2 Kings 13:23

So next time the elders call, just tell them you sincerely love Jehovah, you are just in a weakened state right now. “Um, sorry. Not up to a study just yet. I’m sincerely sorry. But could you come visit again, and check on my spiritual health, say in a month or so? Thank you.”

If they give you a rough time, ask them where their consoling words are. Ask if you might receive love “in fuller measure.” If they suggest that you must take responsibility for your own happiness, remind them that

those “who are strong ought to bear the weaknesses of those not strong.”

Ditto for family that are practicing premature shunning. Ask them to read the article again. Twice if necessary. Tell them you are needful of a little loving.

Unforgivable Sins

The article is tricky, however, in that it manages to suggest that not all those who have drifted away are worthy of attention. para. 18

Had the coin dropped in a large, bushy field or in a deep, muddy lake, she probably would have given it up as lost beyond recovery. Acts 15:29 is taken out of context in paragraph nine, and by inference the society considers the breaking of these few rules unforgivable .

But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees who believed, saying, It is needful to circumcise them, and to charge them to keep the law of Moses.... For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: that ye abstain from things sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication; from which if ye keep yourselves, it shall be well with you. Fare ye well. (Acts 15:5, 28-29 ASV)

(Nevermind that this was written to pacify the most stuck-up of the Jewish Christian congregation and so that Gentile Christian males didn’t have to face circumcision.)

Am I to assume, then, that faded JW’s will not be invited back if they have:

• Had sex before marriage
    • Celebrated a birthday or Christmas, saluted a flag, mounted a crucifix in their home, mounted Christmas lights, or bought items from a garage sale (Abstain from things sacrificed to idols)
    • Taken a blood transfusion or eaten a bloody steak (abstain from blood)
    • Accepted an ex-partner or prodigal child back with open arms (Abstain from things strangled. Well, at least you wanted

to strangle them)

See? Self-righteous JW’s can continue to shun with impunity. All they have to convince themselves is that their faded friends and family are lost in the mud and mire and not worth the time and effort to recover.

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Blondie,

just to congratulate you, again, on another brilliant piece of work.

Nicely written, logically developped and wityh plenty

of quotes - where needed - from the WTBS Inc's own

publications.

I just want to thank you for this gem, really!

Btw, on the part concerning the CO, you reminded

me of an occasion when I said to one of them exactly

what you wrote...see nothing....hear nothing...talk nothing

In the end it's only a business ' trip for most of them.

Don't worry about certain critics...they don't have a leg to stand on..

with this kind of material and presentationthat you make.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

• jgnat
    jgnat

A post script on the muddy lake analogy.

para. 18 The woman who loses the coin knows that the situation is challenging but not hopeless. Had the coin been dropped in a large, bushy field or in a deep, muddy lake, she probably would have given it up as lost beyond recovery.

Really? What of Matthew 13:44-46?

The kingdom of heaven is like unto a treasure hidden in the field; which a man found, and hid; and in his joy he goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field. Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is a merchant seeking goodly pearls: and having found one pearl of great price, he went and sold all that he had, and bought it. Matthew 13:44-46 (ASV)

Every one is of value, and a treasure to Jehovah.

http://www.larchecanada.org/frset1c.html

• Gopher
    Gopher

A belated thanks for your "translation" of the current WT study!!

This general lack of love is the main reason I could never return to the JW's. Like Jesus said, 'if you love your brothers only, you are doing nothing extraordinary'. JW's do nothing extraordinary when it comes to love.

And you are correct, that the congregations view visitors with suspicion, or perhaps fear. They might wonder "why is nobody talking to this person? Maybe he's disfellowshipped!!" And so as a visitor you stand at the back of the hall while the local members stand in their little circles talking to each other at length, refusing to "widen out". I remember standing at the back of a Kingdom Hall I was visiting in Overland Park, Kansas (USA) for nearly 30 minutes before someone finally came over and asked me how I was doing. In another congregation here in Minneapolis, Minnesota (USA), my visiting friends and I had quite a different reaction: the ladies of the congregation (the gossipers) came over and formed a circle around us, essentially trying to find out from us what we were doing there. (Maybe they feared we had come a-courting, LOL.) Once they "interviewed" us, then they went back to their little circles.

Not saying this is true of 100% of American congregations of JW's, but I have yet to come across a congregation where most people came up and talked to you (unless you were the visiting speaker!!).

If these people cannot practice hospitable love in their own Kingdom Halls, where else will they do it?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here are some more thoughts I had overnight. Though there may be individual Witnesses that are loving by nature, it has been my experience that the organization does not foster or encourage that love. Sinners might as well be lepers. The socially inept might as well be lepers. As in times of old, they are cast from the camp until they can prove themselves clean.

WT Study March 16 Have Love Among Yourselves from WT Feb 1, 2003 Can You be Happy and Secure in Your Work?

...and how do we show love to our weak brother? We offer him another book study! Woo Hoo! Blondie is absolutely right. In the WT world, love is a completed time card.

I wonder what other examples of brotherly love the bible can offer? Off the top of my head, stories of the Prodigal Son, The Good Samaritan, the First Century Christians, and serving the Widows, come to mind. In those instances, were book studies offered, or did the early Christians squander their time on more mundane activities? Let’s take a look:

The father gathered up his lost son in an embrace, kissed him, forgave him, clothed him, and fed him. (Luke 15:21-25)

The early Christians visited each other in their homes, eating together, praying together, sharing what they had with each other. (Acts 2:42-47)

The Samaritan bound up the injured man's wounds, took care of him, and gave funds towards his care (Luke 10:33-36)

Godly men were appointed to provide food and wait tables for the widows (Acts 6:1-5)

Neighbours A saw a family down in their luck and invited them over for a home-cooked meal, slipped them a little cash to tide them over, prayed with them, hugged them, and told them they are only a phone call away.

Neighbours B did not notice. They were working their assigned route that weekend, and had no time to waste on gossiping with neighbours. The family persisted, however, and phoned the local congregation for help. The elders, trained in loving provision, assigned Neighbour B to visit with the book study, Draw Closer to Jehovah. They did not stay long, however, because the house was cold and dark. The family did not even offer coffee. Also, the husband was very rude and said a bad word as he showed them to the door. Mr. and Mrs. B congratulated each other on Jehovah’s provision that had spared them a fate as cruel as this poor worldly family.

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello,

just some comments:

Gopher: Excellent description on 'welcome attitude' inside congregations.

I can testify, with my travels that what you do say is true 100%!

If you are not an Elder, CO, DO ...than most would ignore you..!

So much for love ...for strangers.

Jgnat: What you have highlighted is the essence, the core of Christian

love:

"The father gathered up his lost son in an embrace, kissed him, forgave him, clothed him, and fed him. (Luke 15:21-25)

The early Christians visited each other in their homes, eating together, praying together, sharing what they had with each other. (Acts 2:42-47)

The Samaritan bound up the injured man's wounds, took care of him, and gave funds towards his care (Luke 10:33-36)

Godly men were appointed to provide food and wait tables for the widows (Acts 6:1-5).-

All the above is generally far away, as well illustrated by you, from all those

indoctrinated by the mighty and very rich WTBS Inc.

Thanks for the reminder,

J.C.MacHislopp

• rebel
    rebel

Blondie,

I was never a very good student and my Bible knowledge is pretty poor. But I really look forward to your comments on the WT Study. I am starting to find it easier to see these articles for what they really are. I can now pick out the loaded language and sickening terms they use. My husband told me that I must read today's article because it was written especially to help people like me - the lost and spiritually weak. I read it this afternoon, with the help of your comments, and it made me want to puke!

Thanks for your help.

xxRoz

• blondie
    blondie

I see happyman is being disloyal to the GB by disregarding their counsel not to have association with apostates, not to invite them into his home.

Thanks everyone for your comments. This was a difficult article because it is the major reason I know that as an organization JWs do not meet the Christlike qualifications of loving disciples. The majority of the 6 million are eagerly awaiting the demise of the 6 billion who are not dedicated baptized JWs. Not much love in that thinking.

Blondie

• minimus
    minimus

I visited two older brothers in a nursing home this afternoon. Both were in the same room. One asked me what I thought of the Watchtower today. I told them I didn't go this morning. Then I asked why he asked. He said that he thought the WT. was rather hard. When i asked why he felt this way, he said it was because lately, he felt that in trying to give an answer to the study question, you have to read the entire paragraph to give the answer that the Watchtower was looking for. I wanted to say this was part of the dumbing down process that the Society is trying to achieve. but I didn't want to discourage these frail men.

• happy man
    happy man

Blondie.

Yes, I dont follow men, I do was I find in the bibel, try to show love to evry man,and most to this how have been betead and are wonded, or if you want on the Jw backyard.

I some way i feel like the men how saw the wonded mend samaritien, on the way, I can not fore my consiens see this peopel widhout trying to help and in some way, perhaps somedont like that like you when i try to say that you are unfair when you say evry JW is unloving, i now a lot how are not and I am sure you do too, but you daont want to comment that, only tell how bad I am if I are on this sites, i can tell you that I work from inside, not many have this nowlege as I have after over 3 years on internet, reading evrythinh JW related, this have bee a very god terapi fore mee, now I understan things much better, i understand why it is some problem, what stared this was the dfd of one of my children.

Even if much are bad as you say, i see things are much more bad in the world, at least is this my expiriens, the religions here is a mess , widh a lot of trubbel and fighting bettween them.

I must ask you why you dont take upp my points , insted of atack mee fore being here?

widh love from HM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit