Did you leave the Borg 'in search of truth' or 'freedom from rules'?

by BLISSISIGNORANCE 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

Technically, I was never "in" (never baptized) but I did adhere to the JW teachings and refrained from the things that they had taught me was displeasing to Jehovah.

Admittedly, I loved the time that I was a part of them. I felt an abundance of love, but perhaps this was because I wasn't yet baptized...of that, I'll never know. I enjoyed spending time with the brothers and sisters, and we were, in our own way, a little family. We did almost everything together. Vacations, leisure time, all except living together (LOL). And I loved it. I loved them. It wasn't until I found out about the UN scandal that the shades slowly began to fall from my eyes. Then Silentlambs. Then I found this site and links to the twisted WT literature...the distortions of quoted remarks, the underlying discouragement of using one's own conscience and of independence, the emphasis of relying completely on the organization for understanding of the bible. I hadn't realized the importance that the WTS (as a matter of fact, our study partners had gone out of their way to downplay the reliance that the R&F have on the WTS) played in these people's lives.

After finding these things out, I was prompted to ask one of the elders about these things. He simply told me that if he believed one way, and they told him that he must ignore what he thought and teach and spread the message as they had taught him...that he would go against what his own conscience was telling him and put his faith in Jehovah. That Jehovah would either correct his thinking on the matter or work things out within the organization. He would continue teach people something he didn't even believe himself. Go into these people's homes and out and out lie. I was floored. I didn't realize the kind of grip this organization had on it's followers until that moment. I stopped attending the meetings and only went back to a couple of my husband's talks (TMS). Only then did I hear things in those meetings that I'd never noticed before. The statements that no one else can come to a true understanding of the bible without the aid of the FDS, the discouragement of helping charities. After the memorial service last year, when I felt I had given Jesus Christ a good slap in the face by rejecting the emblems, I told my husband that I would never set foot back inside a Kingdom Hall ever again. And I haven't.

Yes, I had a problem with the "rules"...but I felt that the witnesses had showed me knowledge that I had never had regarding what pleases and displeases Jehovah. It was a small price to pay if I was making Jehovah happy. It wasn't until I found out what hypocrites the WTS were that I began to really investigate their "scriptural" basis for their rigid rules as well. And I found they were more Phariseeic (sp?) than anything. Paul had stated in his letters that one must use their own conscience regarding these things (sabbath, eating meat, observance of certain days). Heck, even the first century christians weren't handing down commands, but instead were encouraging their followers to use their own conscience and not to stumble their brothers. It wasn't until I re-read the bible without the JW slant, that I felt that Jehovah could care less whether or not my husband had a beard, I put up a Christmas tree, or worked out at the local YMCA.

My husband has somehow convinced himself that I stopped attending meetings just because I wanted to do holidays again. He couldn't be farther from right.

Great thread (sorry so long-winded )

Sadie

• Joyzabel
  • some leave because they want to be free to smoke, drink, gamble, fornicate, grow beards, celebrate Xmas, take blood and drugs, etc.
  • yep, that's my reason BWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

j2bf

• Valis
    Valis

I left because my parents wanted me to pay rent and play by their rules...yeah right! As well I knew from an early age it was just BS and I had no business doing any of that nor did I want to. As far as leaving because I wanted to do anything per se, I don't think so...yes I've had the sex, drugs, and lots of rock and roll, but those things came along in their own time and didn't require me actively persuing them...just like my other experiences and travels...they come to me in various ways the longer I keep working toward finding the reality that suits me best.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I left because they emotionally hurt my Thunder and my kids oh and me, me I could deal with but nobody F****with my family!

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

Bliss, Great question. No, I didn't leave because I wanted to go buck wild. I was burned out, emotionally & physically exhausted. I was guilt ridden about everything, even though I was (and still am) a good girl. I don't drink, do drugs and I don't fornicate! I had doubts about what I believed after I was mistreated by an elder I loved and trusted. It shook me to the core and all the doubts I had and what I truly believed came to the surface. Then I went on the internet, read Crisis of Conscience and I was stunned by the history. I recently found out about the silent lamb coverups and the murder/suicides of disfellowshiped ones and I'm repulsed that I belonged to such a heartless group. I have absolutely no desire to belong to another religion. I love God, I have high personal standards that I don't impose on others or judge them for (like so many in the borg) and I'm happy to be free. Victorian Sky

• roykaye
    roykaye

I left the 'truth' because i found the truth.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

• some leave because they never believed and now are old enough to do as they want.
    That was part of it...mostly because I had a real problem thinking there is only ONE WAY to worship God, and that any imperfect human could claim to stumble upon that formula really irked me. So when I was finally ready to face the fact there is no "Truth", and how objective life is, especially faith...I had to leave.
  • dmouse
    dmouse

I left 'the truth' because I realised it wasn't. It was just another religion.

If you believe it's the truth then you will overlook the imperfections of men, the silly rules, etc. But why put up with all of that if it's just another religion, with no more idea of what truth is than the next sect?

I never wanted to break the 'rules', and even now I've never commited a DFing offense (except, perhaps, apostasy!) like those you mentioned...it's just that truth is more important to me than anything else and the JW religion is based on a bedrock of lies.

I am still looking for 'the truth' about God, if He even exists, but that is now a personal search and I will never be subjected to the whims of any other religion.

• justhuman
    justhuman

My basic reason was in search of the truth.

After leaving the WT my life has changed and my moral rules are higher than before.

• startingover
    startingover

I originally slipped away because I started examining my motives for being a JW. I never felt the joy, I never felt like I had the right "heart" condition, I never felt like I was being myself. I would have been gone in the early 20's but a move cross country and a bunch of new fun witness friends I met kept me in. It was like starting my life over. Finally in my early 40's I couldn't do it anymore. So I lived with the guilt that I just wasn't good enough to be a witness. Then I discovered the "truth". The rest is history...

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit