Did you leave the Borg 'in search of truth' or 'freedom from rules'?

by BLISSISIGNORANCE 45 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

Alan,

Thanks so much for writing this.

This is an area that isn't discussed enough. So many try to disprove the dubs in various ways.....but few use misquotes from them to prove they lie.

I don't know if a book has been published that deals with this specifically, but a book dedicated entirely to misquotes and outright lies would be interesting.

I remember one of the things that helped me realize the society purposely cherrypicked sentences and REALLY misquoted various writers......was the proof I had seen regarding Justis Liptis 16th century book on the cross. I saw where the society used an illusration that he used of the method Jesus was impaled on. The society used an illustration of a stake in his book but failed to show the picture of the cross and that the author himself admitted the cross was used. That was an outright lie that the author of that material surely knew.

Gumby

• Eppie
    Eppie

Dear Gumby and AlanF,

I am quite positive that this is exactly the reason why they discourage JWs going to college, of course besides the obvious reasons that you see all the things you miss out on. It really made me furious one day when I went to the book study (in the first semester of my college I never went anymore after that) and a sister who was, sorry to say, not very clever, answered one of the first question in that Jehovah book of two years ago. It was about the forces of nature, and about what molecules and atoms are etc. She said something about gravity that was so plane stupid but the elder leading it just said: 'yes, and this gravity law is so clever invented that of course it is designed by Jehovah and that it could not just have evolved....yadiyadiya'. This made me furious! I raised my hand and said: as a science-student I would like to correct that answer and started explaining it in very common words and very shortly, but after say 20 seconds the elder interrupted me and said: 'well the scientific knowledge is not really important here the paragraph just shows the importance of Jehovah's creations.' and he continued. I just stood up and left and never returned again.

AlanF your story is so amazing! Im sure that every JW that woud really look up everything would leave. Unfortunately no one ever seems to do that.

Eppie

• gumby
    gumby
    Im sure that every JW that woud really look up everything would leave. Unfortunately no one ever seems to do that.

Hi eppie,

Once you are convinced the Organisation is Jehovahs channel directed by the slave class who oveersees(supposedly) what is fed to the congregation.......you really feel "no need" to look any thing up. Your mentality is that the society is directed by Jehovah and what is written is correct.

Most witnesess usually never complete the assignments for the week....let alone dig deep for anything beyond that.

I wish I had thought differently sooner.....but I didn't.

Gumby

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hi Gumby and Eppie,

If you really want some documentation on how the Watchtower Society misquotes and misleads, take a look at my essays here http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/index2.htm , but especially the essay "The WTS View of Creation and Evolution" in which I document more than 100 examples of misquotation, misrepresentation and misunderstanding in the Creation book. You can also find more about my personal journey out of the Watchtower (I have a lot to say about intellectual dishonesty) in a somewhat outdated bio here: http://www.geocities.com/h2obiographies/bios/bio-af.html

AlanF

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

I just want to say thanks to everyone who replied to my question. Your honesty is appreciated. Your answers show that the saying is true:................

'YOU CAN FOOL ALL OF THE PEOPLE SOME OF THE TIME AND SOME OF THE PEOPLE ALL OF THE TIME, BUT YOU CAN'T FOOL ALL OF THE PEOPLE ALL OF THE TIME'

We can be happy we are free from mind-control, brain-washing and all the other things the WTS is known for.

Cheers,

Bliss.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

Nope, I didn't like their rules...the rules to shun others.....the rules to keep quiet about wrongdoing and wrong teaching....the rules to not think and analyze what the scriptures really say......the list could go on. I especially didn't like the way they were always ragging on "worldly" people. Jesus didn't act like that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit