Did you leave the Borg 'in search of truth' or 'freedom from rules'?

by BLISSISIGNORANCE 45 Replies latest jw friends

• AlanF
    AlanF

I began a long process of leaving about 25 years ago, after vaguely realizing that the failure of 1975 was diagnostic of the future of JWs. During college I inadvertantly discovered that the Watchtower was scholastically dishonest, and pretty much quit activity as a JW. After college my JW wife pestered me into giving it another shot, and I did for about a year and change. Finally the dishonesty was too much, and I've been inactive ever since. I tried to find a reason to become an active JW again but never could. I kept doing research, and every time I suspected there was a problem with JW teaching or policy, there turned out to be a much bigger problem than I expected, usually centered around their gross dishonesty. Finally, about 1994, after a good deal of trying to get the Society to answer a number of hard questions, I realized that it was about as useful as trying to get the Pope to accept cannibalism, and so I mentally made the final break.

AlanF

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I left because I realized that the pervasive attitude in the organization was all wrong for a supposedly Christian religion. The two witness rule is just plain evil. Evil cannot co-exist with a God of love, ergo this is not where I belong.

SheilaM

YOU are just as valuable as your hubby and kids. You need to be just as angry at how badly they treated you. You are worth your weight in gold. Never forget that.

• gumby
    gumby

Alan,

During college I inadvertantly discovered that the Watchtower was scholastically dishonest,

How did this happen?

Gumby

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I left because I found the coochie, and the coochie set me free.

Later, God chose to enlighten me as to the truth, and I have been happy in his real service ever since.

CZAR of the happily engaged class

• gumby
    gumby

God chose to enlighten me as to the truth,

Would you bet your life on the statement......god enlightened you?

Could it be it was something you read and YOU chose to believe it?

I thought God enlightened me on two occasions and I found out I was wrong.

Gumby

• Eppie
    Eppie
    some leave because they want to be free to smoke, drink, gamble, fornicate, grow beards, celebrate Xmas, take blood and drugs, etc.

Well I must say that that was my original reason to leave, at least that is what I always believed. But already mentioned by others, it was more a nice side-effect that those things happened. The real reason I left was the fact that I went from a 'protected' high school in which I only had JW friends to a college far away from house and I started to think for myself. For the first time I took sociology and psychology classes etc. and I saw the world the way it is, through MY eyes, not through JWs eyes. I realised that stuff that happened within the JW religion is not correct and their claim that your only true friends can be JWs is just BS! I made great friends in college (and still am) and after 2 or 3 years I still have them while my JW friends immediately shunned me. College is a good place to start thinking (even though a bit late ), I wish more JW kids would go there (that's prob why the org doesn't want that).

Eppie

• gumby
    gumby

Eppie,

I went from a 'protected' high school in which I only had JW friends to a college far away from house and I started to think for myself. For the first time I took sociology and psychology classes etc. and I saw the world the way it is, through MY eyes, not through JWs eyes.

Hi eppie,

Thats quite the intresting comment and made me wonder if that isn't at least "some" of the reason the society discouraged college. Studying factual history, and science, religion in school........beats to a different drum than the info. you recieve on the printed page from bethel. Reality and spirituality seem to conflict many times don't they? ( especially from a dubs point of view)

Gumby

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hi Gumby,

:: During college I inadvertantly discovered that the Watchtower was scholastically dishonest,

: How did this happen?

In my sophomore year at MIT, I took an anthropology course and had to do a term paper on something related to anthropology. I decided to write about how the spread of language from a central source in the Middle East was strong evidence for Noah's Flood. I used WTS publications to get as many source references as I could, since this had long been a mainstay of Society arguments for the veracity of the Bible's Flood account. MIT has an extensive library and so I thought this would be easy. When I started looking up the references, however, I quickly found that hardly any of them supported, much less proved, what the Society claimed. In other words, the Society was quoting out of context and otherwise often misrepresenting the source references. I realize that I had to abandon my topic. So I figured that I'd delve into a much more solid topic and try to find some anthropological evidence to disprove evolution, again using the Society's many source references such as in the 1967 Evolution book. But I found the same pattern of misrepresentation of sources. This just blew me away.

For example, the Society had often touted the famous frozen Siberian mammoth, the Berezovka mammoth found in 1901 and described in a 1903 Smithsonian Institution annual, as proof of the Flood. According to the Society, this mammoth was "quick-frozen" and all of its internal organs and meat were so perfectly preserved that not only dogs, but humans could eat the meat. So I found the old Smithsonian report and read all of it. It was quite long, and it described quite the opposite of what the Society claimed. Mr. Herz, who went on the 8-month expedition that excavated the mammoth and brought it back to scientists in western Russia, described the stench of rotting meat as absolutely pervasive, even to the extent that it permeated the frozen dirt in which the mammoth was buried. The internal organs were quite rotten, as was much of the inner meat. The only meat that was well preserved was that on the very outside of the beast. This evidence completely disproved the Society's claims, but was fully consistent with the prevailing opinion of scientists that the mammoth died a quite natural death after falling into a cold tundra bog. After that I looked at anything the Society printed about evolution, or any other science-related topic, with an extremely critical eye. I found that I was unable to use 99% of the Society's references in my term paper. I did find an anti-evolution book in the MIT library and used its references, which were fairly quoted, as the basis for my paper.

Needless to say, these discoveries made me thoroughly distrust what the Society said about virtually everything from then on. Many of the misrepresentations could be attributed to ignorance, but this -- coming from a group of supposedly divinely guided men claiming to represent God -- was simply unacceptable. How can anyone trust such ignoramuses? But a number of the misrepresentations were obviously deliberate, such as the claims about frozen mammoths. They were obviously deliberate because the Society selectively quoted material that supported its claims, such as articles in popular magazines, but suppressed information that did not support them, such as the Smithsonian report. This is flat out dishonest, and is why I don't hesitate to state that Watchtower writers are, on the whole, gross liars.

AlanF

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

AlanF, that is a fascinating story. Wish I'd have been of a keener mind when I was college age (which was when I first came into contact with JW's.)

I probably left to be free from the rules. I started wondering whether I would "keep my integrity" in a situation where I needed a blood transfusion. My conclusion was always "no". I also missed being around my family during holidays. And of course the relentless pressure to "do more do more do more".

• neyank
    neyank

I left because I found the WTS to be a man run and man made orginization that made a LOT of mistakes and yet claimed that God was using them and noone but them with NO truth to back up that claim.

The teachings that have had to be changed, the dates that the WTS had set that proved to be false, the fact that people have died due to some of the WTS teachings only to have those teachings changed.
    So that those people died for NOTHING.

The un-Christian way they treat their fellow man, The fact that the works that a JW must perform to maybe, posibly, there's a slight chance to earn points with God has NOTHING to do with the teachings of Jesus.

Meetings, selling, placing,distributing WORTHLESS magazines is the JW idea of trying to earn points with God.

They don't believe in the teaching of the Good Samaritan or that they should feed the hungry, cloth the clothless, take care of the poor.

Their total structure, what they stand for almost goes against what Jesus stood for and taught.

I don't believe the WTS should be listed under Christianity because they do not seem to worship Christ.

neyank

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit