Did you leave the Borg 'in search of truth' or 'freedom from rules'?

by BLISSISIGNORANCE 45 Replies latest jw friends

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

This question is not to offend anyone, it's just that I have noticed people have many different reasons for leaving the Borg and I thought it would be interesting to find out why some of you left.

For example:

• some leave because they want to be free to smoke, drink, gamble, fornicate, grow beards, celebrate Xmas, take blood and drugs, etc.
    • some leave because they never believed and now are old enough to do as they want.
    • some leave because they have seen that they can be happy living life free from any religious organization, yet still feel safe in God's love.
    • some have been hurt by the Borg and have taken their wounds away to lick them, waiting to see justice.
    • some have trusted the Borg with their lives, time and money...........only to discover recently that there has been lies, cover-ups and hypocracy in the Borg. Now they have left but need to belong to another organization to feel happy.

I left the Borg because I found out about the cover-ups and lies. My family was abused by it, my child was sexually abused and I was DF'ed. The hypocracy of the UN scandal, the wealth of the organization while sincere people give up everything, the unloving people who are self-righteous and judgemental, the class distinctions, the pressure they put on families while in and then out of the borg.............splitting families up, and the anger I feel because I was told I could expect one thing if I became a JW yet received the very opposite once I came in. I didn't want to be associated with it any longer.........I was ashamed of it.

So where do you fit in?

Why did you leave?

I look forward to your replies.

Cheers,

Bliss.

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

I must say that my reasons were split between both. I was tired of all the sad rules which had no scriptual backing (no beard for the men for example). I was also seeing the elders of the congregation doing the very things that they were condemin from stage.

I was also not happy with certain so called explination as to some of their beliefs. Also, when I asked questions about 1974 I never got a straight answer.

Eric

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Good question!

I left because I was miserable, and so tired, that I did not care whether it was the truth or not. I was trapped in a miserable JW marriage, and I could see that everything had to go. At that point I was still thoroughly brainwashed to hate all other religions, and I thought if Armageddon came, I would be killed, I wouldn't suffer anymore, and jolly nice for the survivors.

Now I really regret that I was df'd for "immorality". How I wish that I had the knowledge than that I do now! On the other hand, free is free, you don't complain about the shape of the key that has opened your prison door.

• some leave because they want to be free to smoke, drink, gamble, fornicate, grow beards, celebrate Xmas, take blood and drugs, etc.
  • This sounds like JW speak. It is a recurrent theme that "opposers" and "apostates" are people who resented the rules. I think the reality is more complex by far.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Hey Bliss,

I am out because of my immorality. but I remained out because I never fit in anyway. I was never in the IN crowd, never had true real friends in the org. and even after being reinstated I was still a weak sister with children not good association for them.

Lisa

• blondie
    blondie
    some have trusted the Borg with their lives, time and money...........only to discover recently that there has been lies, cover-ups and hypocracy in the Borg.

Bliss, this fits our family. With enough time and congregations, we have found that lying and covering up is the pattern throughout the organization EXCEPT we don't have the need to belong to another organization to feel happy. That we would be falling out of the frying pan into the fire.

Instead this applies,

some leave because they have seen that they can be happy living life free from any religious organization, yet still feel safe in God's love.

Blondie (I saw the light)

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE
    I was tired of all the sad rules which had no scriptual backing
    I was trapped in a miserable JW marriage, and I could see that everything had to go.
    I remained out because I never fit in anyway. I was never in the IN crowd, never had true real friends in the org. and even after being reinstated I was still a weak sister with children not good association for them.

Thanks for the replies so far.

It's interesting that all 3 responses show the WTS, it's members and it's false teachings are the underlying cause of people leaving. If it was the loving, honest organization it claims to be we would probably still be associating, even if not fully committed.

I look forward to more replies.

cheers,

Bliss.

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

Hey Blondie.....................keep those sunnies on, the light is bright out here. I've seen the light too!

My family feels the same as you. We are happy to maintain good principals in our lives, yet not needing another organization to make us feel close to god.

cheers,

Bliss

• PurpleV
    PurpleV

I left because being a jw is all-consuming, every waking (and sometimes sleeping) moment you are aware you are a jw, every action and conversation has to be filtered through WT rules, every infraction producing guilt, I was suffocating and I thought if I didn't get away I would die.

I wanted to live however many more years of my life without that horrible weight on my shoulders and out of the constant cloud of oppression and misery. I decided I'd rather be dead and nothing than live forever trapped that way.

*shudder*

• caligirl
    caligirl

I left because of the hipocracy that I saw from the time I was old enough to define the word. I knew that what was being taught was not what the bible said.There are clear, simple truths in the bible that were being perverted and twisted to fit the agenda of an organization of men. I lost all faith when I started learning first hand about the reality of what this "united" organization really represented and stood for vs. the fantasy world vomited from the mouths of speakers on the platform every week. Freedom from rules in and of themselves had nothing to do with it. To be free from the heavy oppressing load of regulations and thought control heaped on us every week at the " upbuilding" meetings, yes - but freedom from what the bible teaches should govern our actions, no.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

" and you will know the TRUTH and the truth will set you FREE". John 8:32

I think by leaving to find the truth, I also found freedom. Two for one,,,,,,,these two qualities play off of each other , to give you peace.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit