Faders Needing a Great One Liner

by Solzhenitsyn 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zophar
    zophar

Wasanelder Once

Great suggestion. Asking the question takes all the pressure off of you.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I like telling JWs that Anthony Morris is horrible and I can’t stand listening to him speak, and it puzzles me that so many nice JWs venerate such a disgusting person.

• Dagney
    Dagney

What has worked for me is to have some responses ready at the quick. In the beginning I wanted to protect my relationship with my elderly JW mother at any cost. I didn't want any judicial action that would cause her more grief than she already felt.

That is no longer an issue. When someone asks "are you still in XXX?" I say, I'm not attending meetings at the moment." They usually change the subject, or tell me about a relative that did the same thing.

I respond as positive and happy as I can at the moment and redirect the conversation to be about them, their work/family/car...anything. That always works.

When they tell me they just got back from RC/SAD whatever, I always say "that's GREAT! How's your wife/kids/car whatever."

And if a former friend dug a little deeper, I've said this:

"I have no issues with elders or anybody. I do have issues with the corporation. And it's between me and Jehovah and I have taken it to him in prayer." This stopped any further discussion. They are not stupid.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

My fade started with a move to another state - 4 congregations later and I was long forgotten. I had no need to say goodbye with a one-liner.

• zeb
    zeb

Tell me, by whose authority do you ask these things?

when they fumble and mumble

'You cant tell me? then i cant tell you'.

please keep in mind with jw once you are off the screen you are mostly forgotten; witnesses live in each others faces and as i say once gone forgotten.

• George One Time
    George One Time

I respond with telling how I started to doubt reading about all the killing in Jehovah's name in the Bible for dubious reasons. How Moses life was saved from a cruel Pharao killing the baby boys and how Moses did the very same thing later with the Midianites (Nu 31)

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I found out how quickly you can be forgotten when visiting UK after being in Spain about 18 months or so.

I went into the hall expecting to be greeted like I had seen others being greeted excitedly and happily at conventions. Most didn't remember me at all so fading in a large city has been a complete breeze.

• Normalfulla
    Normalfulla

I've heard a long serving now ex elder say hes "retired from the organisation"

• Stuck in the middle37
    Stuck in the middle37

A fellow "bro" I was in prison with back 60's moved down into my area from the state of Washington I heard he had some trouble with the organ.up there so I called him up to see how he was. After telling me how he was still coping and hanging on,he ask about me. I said I had taken a step back. That there was some things in the past few years I found puzzling and disturbing and I'd have to see how things work out. So your not saying you quit or that your staying. He didn't press the issue, I would have been more than happy to talk to him but it seem to satisfy him.

• Della Street
    Della Street

when people ask me what congregation I am attending, I say, "I'm not attending right now." If they press it, "I say it's complicated." and don't elaborate further. I remain silent, look away and or change the subject by asking something about them.

It's works. Sometimes its awkward, but it works.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit