What If The Tower Fell?

by Big Dog 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    There has to be a time when we have got too far away from 1914 that it must have been a wrong teaching

That time has come! I'm certain WT has a number of think-tanks working on the pros & cons of how to solve the problem of 1914. It's a prickly thorn in Mother's side for sure!

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

ExB: It’s absolutely unfathomable that the Borg have lasted this long.

They survived 1925, which is when Rutherford got a prediction (that Biblical characters would be resurrected and become princes on Earth) utterly and completely wrong. This was the end of a string of predicted dates (1914, 1915, 1918, 1920, 1925) and it seems like the followers had heard enough. They may have lost as much as 3/4s of the membership.

When you think about religions like Mormonism and Scientology, you have very recent creations with some very wild ideas and beliefs along with unreasonably strict control of people's lives. And not only did they survive, they are thriving. Human minds are far too easy to manipulate this way, alas. There are a lot of religious groups that really have no business existing, yet they continue to grow and prosper.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The Borg has lasted this long is unfathomable.

Largely in part because,, a sucker is born every minute.

They rely on their birthrate to keep it going.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Largely in part because,, a sucker is born every minute.

They rely on their birthrate to keep it going.

This religion will be around long after we all assume room temperature. But it's going to shrink to an insignificant size. It will eventually assume the rightful size of what we would consider a "fringe group". Just like all the other Bible Student shoot-offs that are still around, but unimportant, their membership will get to about 50k, maybe even less because of their added lunacy.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I've maintained for a long time that if the WTBS collapsed a significant number of JW's would just go find somebody else to tell them how to live. They would be low-hanging fruit for a charismatic leader to harvest.

When you think about religions like Mormonism and Scientology, you have very recent creations

Scientology yes, Mormonism no, depending on what time frame you use. The Mormons predate the Watchtower.

The Watchtower, Christian Science, and a slew of Adventist groups sprang up in the mid-to-late1800's, all of them with their roots in the Millerite movement of the 1840's. Miller (and later his imitators) left behind a lot of broken predictions of the End, and a good number of disappointed followers. None of that stopped people from joining other, similar, religions. That might be a useful example of what happens when a religion collapses.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

"Added lunacy" is what these groups rely on.

People cant develop critical thinking skills and have to have every waking moment spelled-out for them.

Lunacy.

• pepperheart2
    pepperheart2

the watchtower is falling now in 2012 the watchtower closed 20 branch offices around the world and have cut back vastly on the magazines rather than new ones every month they are only 4 times a year or so and on the carts these past few week they were giving out magazines printed in 2021 and 2020.and of course they have sols of 1,000s of kingdom halls off

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Some of my family are extremely hardcore when it comes to the Tower. I can imagine them having a complete break with reality. They would be like the crazy cat lady petting the cat that has been dead ten years going on about how they are just napping.

I would give a lot to be a fly on the wall in their homes if things really went south to hear just how they would work themselves through the cognitive dissonance and realign their reality.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Some of my family are extremely hardcore when it comes to the Tower. I can imagine them having a complete break with reality. They would be like the crazy cat lady petting the cat that has been dead ten years going on about how they are just napping.

I would give a lot to be a fly on the wall in their homes if things really went south to hear just how they would work themselves through the cognitive dissonance and realign their reality.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I just don't know how hardcore JW will wrap their heads around such a mess of this if the gb disappear and WT crumbling

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit