Why are there more sisters than brothers at the Kingdom Hauls?

by Sour Grapes 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Aren`t their more "Nuns" than "Brothers" in the Catholic religion ?

Jehovah`s Witnesses have copied the R.C.Church on every thing else so why not this ?

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

It is not unique to JW's but the phenomena appears to be a little more pronounced than any other Christian religion. Here is a bit of data I downloaded from the Aust 2016 census:

So 56.48% of JWs in Aust are women.

Interestingly, it does not start out that way. For some reason, the "Return to Jehovahs" (what I label POMIs who return to the Borg after having kids) are more likely to return if they bring a male child with them, than a female child. Here is the same chart, but only filtering out all those under 10 years of age:

It is an interesting phenomena. I have my suspicions why, but I will leave that to others to comment.

What happens after? I won't produce lots of charts, but essentially, boys outnumber girls, but as they go through the teenage years and early 20's, the boys leave in slightly greater numbers.

If I filter out everyone under 50 years of age (ie include only those 50 and above) the chart looks like:

• James87
    James87

While i can not answer that i do think Sour Grapes is on to something. Lets think about this logically. A guy typically will be drawn in by the girl here. Another thing to consider depending on if both spouses work, if its just the man, if he was born into the "organization" he will not the skill set to be well off or have stability in his live via work typically then add a wife and kids maybe so imagine the stress . So more undue pressure is placed on them which can contribute to a shorter life span. The wife is happy walking with other older women, making her circle of friends etc. So for many women i think they are ok with a divorce because they get to stay in and keep there circle of friends. I get the impression the bonds between women here is strong than the one among the males, for males it just seems so superficial, fake might be the best way to put it. Just first hand observance. There is more but for now i think this helps explain it.

• Steel
    Steel

It's easier to suck a bored house wife into an absolute time wasting soul sucking cult, than a man living in the real world , making a living to support his family.

My hall is literally a female social club.

• Fred Franztone
    Fred Franztone

Perhaps women are generally less rational?

• TD
    TD

I would guess that a big part of the gender disparity within JW's (and other lay-ministry groups) ultimately comes down to cost verses return.

JW males are told in subtle and not so subtle ways that they are a failure among their peers and no woman will have them if they are not at least a "ministerial servant." I hear this stuff at JW conventions and it makes my skin crawl. I can't even imagine what it would be like to hear it all the time.

The sad part is that it's not completely untrue, as loss of social status in any closed group does have tangible consequences.

A man can either choose to participate in this system or he can accept the fallout.

Choosing the former means an endless treadmill of thankless, boring tasks that he may not have either the time or the talent for.

Choosing the former means kowtowing and just generally kissing the rear ends of other men he may not like or even actively hate.

Choosing the former means sacrificing a lot of time he could be spending with his wife and children.

I don't know if it's still the case or not, but JW "Circuit Overseers" at one time were given to verbal abuse behind closed doors. A older JW cousin once told me about a dressing down he received and I was shocked at how vile it was. Basic training in the military is the only parallel I can think of were a man would tolerate that.

With all this in mind, it is small wonder that men choose to either opt out or not get involved in the first place.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I think it's interesting that there are more religious 'non affiliated' men than women.

So there are more men who likely consider themselves 'spiritual' or have faith - yet don't belong/attend any particular denomination/church.

Which leads me to believe it's the social aspect that plays a big role for women.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Religion is an Emotional Crutch for women that can be used 24X7 and that is the reason that there are more women than men in most religions.

Hinduism for Example, has more female worshipers who are more dedicated to their religion than men. Most Hindu men are namesake religious.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

It's an interesting irony that there always seem to be more females than males in patriarchal cultures.

• Nambo
    Nambo

I like Jesus a lot, he did a great thing for us, but I wonder if it's easier for Women to "Love" him to the extent required to sacrifice your life for him?

Would there be a higher percentage of men if God had sent a daughter?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit