Why are there more sisters than brothers at the Kingdom Hauls?

by Sour Grapes 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

I have always wondered why there are more females than males in all of the congregations that I have visited? Some of these females are in their 70's so maybe their husbands have died and women just live longer. Or could the reason be that years ago men were the breadwinners and women stayed home to raise the children thus they were home during the week when the JDubs came a knocking? They enjoyed the JW weekly visits to break things up during the week.

Could it be that women are wired differently than males and have a stronger leaning toward spiritual things compared to males?

Are women more prone to want to help other people to lead better lives by preaching to them?

• sparky1
    sparky1

According to Pew Research, that seems to be the case across the board for most Judeo-Christian belief systems. As to why this is so, who knows? Some say biology, some say nurture, and some say social structure that the individual (male or female) are exposed to. Probably a combination of all three.

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

Good information Sparky. Thanks

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

In some congregations the ration might be different, but overall what sparky posted is very accurate by other sources too. The last congregation I attended had a lot more (rather desperate to mate) women than men.

• Simon
    Simon

Women's life expectancy is certainly a factor but it extends to other age groups too.

I think most families who are recruited tend to begin with the wife, then the husband just goes along with it. Women were traditionally more likely to be at home when they call during the day etc...

On the flip side, it seems to be that many times it's the husband that decides to leave first while his wife still attends (more invested in 'people').

All stereotypes of course and there will be lots of exceptions. No one thing may be major, just accounting for slight differences, but they all combine to produce the final result.

• Boredposter
    Boredposter

They are an army of large women.

• Boredposter
    Boredposter

They are an army of large women.

• Not_Culty
  • TD
    TD

Women are more religious than men across all cultures, income and education levels, but that doesn't completely account for the 35/65 ratio in the JW faith.

I don't know the answer except to say that as a man, I find the JW faith to be emasculating.

Maybe I'm not alone here

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

Simon...I like your comment about women being more invested in people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit