Calling Cofty and others regarding evolution

by dubstepped 340 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

Actually panpsychism posits that any aggregate - humans or chairs - is conscious in exactly the same way. The only difference is in degree of awareness.

It contributes nothing. It is nothing but desperation on the part of a few philosophers who are afraid that neuroscientists will eventually claim the prize.

It is unscientific woo-woo

• cofty
    cofty

Your right Tononi suggests that IIT lends credence to panpsychism but the quote you just posted says the exact opposite of the conclusion you came to that 'rocks and humans are fundamentally different in terms of consciousness'.

I'm bored with this. It is a non-scientific fantasy. If anybody ever comes up with a shred of evidence let me know.

• hothabanero
    hothabanero
    @cofty: Actually panpsychism posits that any aggregate - humans or chairs - is conscious in exactly the same way.

Not true. read the article dammit. the entire point of stuff like integrated information is to distinguish conscious systems from those that are not in a scientific manner.

It is nothing but desperation on the part of a few philosophers

proof you didn't read the article which cite neuroscientists...

you are stuck discussing a straw version of the idea. either educate yourself a bit or admit you are not really interested in learning something new...

• cofty
    cofty

Rocks will be conscious, spoons will be conscious, the Earth will be conscious. Any kind of aggregation gives you consciousness.” - David Chalmers, a philosophy of mind professor at New York University

• hothabanero
    hothabanero
    @cofty: Your right Tononi suggests that IIT lends credence to panpsychism but the quote you just posted says the exact opposite of the conclusion you came to that 'rocks and humans are fundamentally different in terms of consciousness'.

this makes no damn sense. Rocks and humans are fundamentally different (fundamentally different: fundamentally different in terms of Phi) because one has a brain and the other does not, something which is fundamental to Professor Tononis theory.

Are you seriously suggesting that according to his theory a rock and a human are the same in terms of consciousness?

• cofty
    cofty

Rocks will be conscious, spoons will be conscious, the Earth will be conscious. Any kind of aggregation gives you consciousness.” - David Chalmers, a philosophy of mind professor at New York University

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

@cofty: yah I cite the neuroscientist, you cite a philosopher, after bashing philosophers lol.I hope you appreciate the irony LMAO

good luck with your straw man, just don't complain when a creationist attack Darwins ideas about evolution...

• cofty
    cofty

So you want to promote the article about panpsychism but you also want to dismiss the clearly stated views of the lead source.

Okay.

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

no @Cofty, I read the article and found it interesting. I promote one of the views (which I consider more serious) in the article as worthy of consideration by ppl who are genuinely interested in the subject.

you, being desperate to throw out your favorite tagline ("tables are not conscious") ignore the science I refer to (from the article) and jump directly to the single line (NOT related to the science I brought up) and throw that around like it is some great accomplishment on your part.

Care to discuss integrated information theory or not?

• cofty
    cofty

It appears that you can only tolerate 'panpsychism lite'.

Full-blooded panpsychism pushes your bullshit meter off the scale does it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit