Calling Cofty and others regarding evolution

by dubstepped 340 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

There is nothing useful to be read about panpsychism. It is admitted by its proponents that there is no evidence for the idea and no evidence against it. There is also no possible way to ever provide any evidence for or against it. It is an unprovable hypothesis and therefore it is by definition 'not even wrong'.

If I propose that an invisible unicorn lives silently in my garage how much time would an intelligent person spend trying to prove I was wrong? Panpsychism is exactly like that. It does absolutely nothing to help us understand human consciousness. It is a pointless distraction.

'what can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence' - Christopher Hitchens.

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Question from What Shall i Call Myself:

When will you get around to telling us just what, in your case, was the deciding factor that swung your opinion towards a creator?

In my case it was my studies of Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Electro-Chemistry and Astronomy which enabled me to see conclusively the Beauty of Creation and all that it effortlessly accomplishes. Attention must be paid to the tiniest of details in each of the life processes, the environmental interactions and the movement and composition of the Universe. The Theory of Natural Selection as a driving force proved inadequate. The design of all things throughout Creation is masterful.

Quote from What Shall I Call Myself:

It can't be an apparent design in nature because, as you know, we do not know how a creator created us therefore we would not know what to look for even if everything was created as you assert.

Creationists and Evolutionists share a paradox: We both truthfully must admit that we do not know "How" any of it came about or changed in our very long and distant past. And it is true that many do not know "where to look" for evidence that would satisfy their curiosity. Therefore, we must look very deeply at all things. Then you are able to "see it." Unless, of course, you really do not want to.

We are free to come to our own conclusions based upon how we "see" things. Although, there may be others who are not happy with how you "see" things. You may be encouraged or pressured to conform your thinking to agree with theirs if you desire to earn a comfortable salary.

Enjoy your freedom while you are able to.

• cofty
    cofty

'oh look complexity - therefore god' - Every creationist who has never read a science book ever.

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

lol @cofty, did u even read the article?

u can't prove how evolution created consciousness... but I don't dismiss any ideas as stupid bc I have an open mind!

you still haven't explained why panpsychism is obviously wrong by the way. you just flail your arms and call it stupid lol.

can u for instance explain why this is any worse than other ideas about consciousness?

http://integratedinformationtheory.org

(science linked from article I posted)

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo
    enabled me to see conclusively the Beauty of Creation

Childrens book don't count mate...

• cofty
    cofty
    u can't prove how evolution created consciousness... but I don't dismiss any ideas as stupid bc I have an open mind!

Rocks don't have personalities. Having an open mind is good but be careful your brain doesn't fall out.

you still haven't explained why panpsychism is obviously wrong by the way.

I said it is incapable of ever being proven right or wrong. Therefore it is 'not even wrong'.

I said that twice - three times now.

you just flail your arms and call it stupid

I never called it stupid.

lol.

Unless you are 14 years old stop say 'lol'.

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

@cofty: did the article say rocks have personalities? --> straw man.

@cofty: "I said it is incapable of ever being proven right or wrong. Therefore it is 'not even wrong'". --> site I linked disagree with you...but I bet you know better lol.

@cofty:" I never called it stupid". -> then what do you call it?

@cofty: "Unless you are 14 years old stop say 'lol'" --> LMFAO you are seriously trying to police what I can find funny!

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

I have read the article and I think it is interesting and worth considering for those with an open mind & genuine interest in the subject. if you are willing to discuss the science, I will be happy to do that. But your straw men isn't really an argument...

• cofty
    cofty
    if you are willing to discuss the science

There is no science involved in the woo-woo of panpsychism. There is nothing to discuss. If you disagree go start a thread and tell us specifically what it is all about, what the evidence is and why it matters. No videos and no copy-paste. Do that and I will treat it with respect.

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

@Cofty: There is no science involved in the woo-woo of panpsychism

ok. so none of this is science?

you don't think the people who come up with this stuff are scientists?

bc it sure looks like they write this stuff in science publications...

http://integratedinformationtheory.org

"If you disagree go start a thread and tell us specifically what it is all about"

you behave like a salty old schoolteacher who can give us homework. I am under no obligation to carry out any silly task you decide to task me with and which would require considerable investment on my part.

before I do that u must clearly specify what your position is on the above research so I even know if there is something to discuss...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit