Calling Cofty and others regarding evolution

by dubstepped 340 Replies latest jw friends

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Each species does seem to be "hardwired" to perform certain necessary tasks. Creation offers a plausible solution to the mystery in that it encompasses each and every characteristic in the design of life.

-Old Navy

I'm not sure I quite follow. How does creationism explain consciousness?

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

@cofty:

lol, you still so salty you can't make yourself write my name! I may begin to call you Salty!

Anyway, if the context somehow contains en explanation for consciousness feel free to join the adult discussion by pointing out out... or you can stay at the kids table & downvote me & grumble ;-).

• cofty
    cofty

Hothead - reread the post you were replying to and notice the context and nuance.

You spend most of your time arguing with and insulting people who actually don't disagree with you.

It's probably a teenage phase.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Theism, deism, pantheism, panpsychism, seem like reasonable explanations for consciousness. (Although they have their own problems) Materialism and atheism struggle to explain consciousness. Most often on this forum what we get is avoidance of such issues: acting as if there is nothing to explain, or it's a stupid question. Basically a lot of bluster and no substance.

Daniel Dennett argued that in some sense consciousness does not exist, but he struggles to explain what he means by that. It's at least an attempt to neutralise the problem of consciousness from a materialist perspective, but it's not satisfactory for many people. Because we do seem to exist.

• cofty
    cofty
    pantheism, panpsychism, seem like reasonable explanations..

Rocks with personalities are not reasonable explanations for anything.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

And misrepresentation.

• cofty
    cofty

It is impossible to avoid misrepresenting you as your opinions are a moveable feast. Despite numerous requests you consistently failed to define 'awareness' over-against consciousness.

You insist rocks are aware but cry foul when anybody suggests that implies they are conscious.

It is literally ridiculous.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I have never said rocks have personalities. And I'm not aware of pansychists who have said rocks have personalities. So one easy way to avoid misrepresentation would be not claiming that rocks have personalities.

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

@Salty: you are hilarious. I didn't start a single argument, rather I posted my opinion and you and a bunch of other people mistook me for a creationist and piled onto me. Feel free to join the discussion at any point!

@slimboy:

And misrepresentation.

lol.. the famous mad @Salty reading skillz are at work!

• cofty
    cofty
    I have never said rocks have personalities

You asserted that rocks are aware. The most that you would say about what that means is that awareness and consciousness are only a matter of degree. It follows that anything that is aware is conscious to some degree. Anything that is conscious exhibits traits that we can call personality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit