Calling Cofty and others regarding evolution

by dubstepped 340 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

Hothead - You clearly have no interest in sincere conversation or the possibility of learning anything from anybody. It's the arrogance of youth to a degree rarely achieved. I blame the internet where kids can watch a few YouTube videos and quickly check stuff on Wiki and think they then understand something.

If anybody disagrees and presents reason and fact to the contrary - no problem. 'Support' is only a click away. Why bother actually giving a fuck about gaining knowledge or understanding of complex subjects when you can join a ideological tribe and have endless resources at your fingertips?

Shallow point scoring is all that matters to you - the search for truth is irrelevant. Until/unless you mature you are doomed to live in a thought bubble all your life.

You are no better than the SJW Millennials you despise. You just happen to belong to a different tribe.

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

Cofty:

You clearly have no interest in sincere conversation or the possibility of learning anything

Dude it is like you are in my head, knowing my motives and shit!

AFAIK everything I have posted on this thread has been factually true. If I wrote something false do tell, otherwise get over yourself & stop with all the "I know your motives better than yourself young man" preaching.

I blame the internet where kids can watch a few YouTube videos and quickly check stuff on Wiki

..and the hippety hoppety music and the bumbum blasters and the way young ones today don't wear suspenders and premarital sex and how ppl no longer go to the barber on Saturdays and NTV and how a man can no longer feed his family for a month on a dollar...

OFCOURSE you blame wikipedia, after all, you know better than wikipedia lol. Oh how I pine for the day I will attain your level of wisdom!

• TD
    TD

Old Navy

I wonder if the "Creation Model" is an accurate depiction.

I was referring to immutability of species, which is a mainstay of creationism. You seem to have your own perspective on this, but I can't argue against that, without knowing what it is.

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Quote from TD:

I was referring to immutability of species, which is a mainstay of creationism. You seem to have your own perspective on this, but I can't argue against that, without knowing what it is.

I'm not locked in to any simplistic Creation Model which lacks flexibility and/or potential for numerous Creative Options on the part of the Creators. Too much of either theory (Evolution or Creation) is based upon presumption; and who are we to pass speculative judgment on life processes which are so mysterious and so remarkable? To claim that thoughts and the "spark of life" itself are naught more than electro-chemical activities within cells or the brain is insufficient.

However the Creators did it, they left us a "record" to stimulate thought and to pursue comprehension. We have been given mental powers to try to figure it all out. I believe that is an aspect of the Plan of Creation as well. Challenging our capabilities.

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Quote by Coded Logic:

Evolution says nothing more about "thought" than it does any other aspect of our physiology - that is to say that it is "useful". Having legs is useful. Feet allows us to get around while foraging for food or running from predators or finding mates - etc. Likewise, the ability to process information is "useful". Creatures that can understand and make sense of their environments have a distinct survival advantage. Other than that - why should evolution explain the "origins" of thought (whatever the hell that means). Evolution may explain "why" we have thought. But it's absurd to think that it should explain what thought is.

Evolution chooses not to go there while Creation does. Can thoughts or the processing of environmental conditions to make decisions be separated from the entirety of living? Each species does seem to be "hardwired" to perform certain necessary tasks. Creation offers a plausible solution to the mystery in that it encompasses each and every characteristic in the design of life. The whole enchilada.

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

"okay I am confused. you say evolution do explain the origin of thought; @Coded Logic say evolution should not explain the origin of thought and wikipedia treat it as an unsolved problem." - Hot.

Evolutionary theory does explain the origin of thought. We all share a common ancestor and over time what we describe as 'thought' has evolved to what we see today. Remember what a scientific theory is and what it is not...

Evolutionary theory does not have to explain the origin of thought. The theory works anyway, even if we don't know everything yet.

The origin of thought has not yet been solved...

All 3 are accurate statements.

"Perhaps you too should write to wikipedia and provide your solution for how thought evolved?" - Hot.

Perhaps you should try to understand what a scientific theory is...

• cofty
    cofty
    Too much of either theory (Evolution or Creation) is based upon presumption; - Old Navy

This is yet another lame attempt to make a false equivalency between the scientific fact of evolution and the superstitious fantasy of creationism.

and who are we to pass speculative judgment on life processes which are so mysterious and so remarkable?

We are post-enlightenment humans armed with the tools of science. Mysteries are things to be solved not treated with reverence.

To claim that thoughts and the "spark of life" itself are naught more than electro-chemical activities within cells or the brain is insufficient.

There is no 'ghost in the machine'.

'Life is nothing but an electron looking for a place to rest'. - Albert Szent-Györgyi

• hothabanero
    hothabanero
    Evolutionary theory does explain the origin of thought. We all share a common ancestor and over time what we describe as 'thought' has evolved to what we see today

Dude, if you think that is actually a scientific explanation for something I get why you don't think I know what science is.

It's like saying: Physics today know what dark matter is. It is some kind of field or particle which interact with other particles and pull them around, and at the same time they are hard to see in a telescope. This is my very scientific explanation, nothing to see here.

Ain't no scientific explanation...

Origin of thought is an open problem in evolutionary theory. deal with it. I for one am happy to admit there are things I don't know & can learn about.

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

For starters, to explain the origin of thought, we got to know what thought is. Hint: "it is some kind of thing that occurs when neurons do stuff with each other" isn't a proper explanation either.

• cofty
    cofty

Hothead try reading the context and intent of your interlocutor before replying. That way you will avoid waging war with a strawman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit