2017 Convention Video To Be Shown Regarding The 1975 Failure

by pale.emperor 162 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO3ARNNSfKk&feature=youtu.be

No mention whatsoever that it was Watchtower themselves that strongly hinted towards this date. Instead they blame those who "put their trust in a date, not Jehovah".

Let's recap...

"Does God's rest day parallel the time man has been on earth since his creation? Apparently so. In what year, then, would the first 6,000 years of man's existence and also the first 6,000 years of Gods rest day come to an end? The year 1975. It means that within a relatively few years we will witness the fulfilment of the remaining prophecies that have to do with the "time of the end"." Awake! 1966 Oct 8 pp.19-20

"It did not take the brothers very long to find the chart beginning on page 31, showing that 6,000 years of man's existence end in 1975. Discussion of 1975 overshadowed about everything else. "The new book compels us to realize that Armageddon is, in fact, very close indeed," said a conventioner. Surely it was one of the outstanding blessings to be carried home!" .. Brother Franz. 'Does it mean that Armageddon is going to be finished, with Satan bound, by 1975? It could! It could! All things are possible with God. Does it mean that Babylon the Great is going to go down by 1975? It could. Does it mean that the attack of Gog of Magog is going to be made on Jehovah's witnesses to wipe them out, then Gog himself will be put out of action? It could. But we are not saying. All things are possible with God. But we are not saying. And don't any of you be specific in saying anything that is going to happen between now and 1975. But the big point of it all is this, dear friends: Time is short. Time is running out, no question about that." Watchtower 1966 Oct 15 pp.629,631

"Well now, as Jehovah's Witnesses, as runners, even though some of us have become a little weary, it almost seems as though Jehovah has provided meat in due season. Because he's held up before all of us, a new goal. A new year. Something to reach out for and it just seems it has given all of us so much more energy and power in this final burst of speed to the finish line. And that's the year 1975. Well, we don't have to guess what the year 1975 means if we read the Watchtower. And don't wait 'till 1975. The door is going to be shut before then. As one brother put it, "Stay alive to Seventy-Five"" - 1967 District Convention, Wisconsin Sheboygan District Overseer Brother Charles Sunutko

"The immediate future is certain to be filled with climactic events, for this old system is nearing its complete end. Within a few years at most the final parts of Bible prophecy relative to these "last days" will undergo fulfillment." Watchtower 1968 May 1 p.272

"With the appearance of the book Life Everlasting-in Freedom of the Sons of God, and its comments as to how appropriate it would be for the millennial reign of Christ to parallel the seventh millennium of man's existence, considerable expectation was aroused regarding the year 1975. ... Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility ." Watchtower 1980 Mar 15 p.17

I rest my case m'lord.

• sir82
    sir82

Why on earth would they voluntarily bring up that topic?

People who lived through it (as I did) will recognize the sleight of hand, blaming "some" when in fact it was the WTS itself which introduced, then hyped, the date.

People who didn't live through it are capable of googling to find out about, or even if they are utter JW loyalists, looking up info on WT Library on it. Those Watchtower quotes are on the CD / DVD.

It's a stupid unforced error. What possible good comes from bringing up the most embarrassing teaching* in the past 50 years?

* Edit - maybe "2nd most embarrassing" - the "overlapping generations" thing is on the same order of magnitude.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

People who lived through it (as I did) will recognize the sleight of hand, blaming "some" when in fact it was the WTS itself which introduced, then hyped, the date.

People who didn't live through it are capable of googling to find out about, or even if they are utter JW loyalists, looking up info on WT Library on it. Those Watchtower quotes are on the CD / DVD.

It's a stupid unforced error. What possible good comes from bringing up the most embarrassing teaching* in the past 50 years?

* Edit - maybe "2nd most embarrassing" - the "overlapping generations" thing is on the same order of magnitude.

Only reason i can think of is maybe people are talking about 1975 and researching outside JWorg and the org want to nip it in the bud now. When i was "in" i did research 1975 on the WT Library CD Rom. Read what it said and did think to myself "if i were alive back then i'dve thought it as well". But thought no more about it.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

As already stated, I am astonished they would bring this up. Their stupidity knows no bounds.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

of course we never mentioned a specific date it was some of our brothers acting presumptuously!

• skin
    skin
    Instead they blame those who "put their trust in a date, not Jehovah".

What a nerve, yet another double meaning. Today if I were to say that the end will not come within the next 10 years, I will almost get my head biten off by my JW family for not being spiritual enough, because we all know that the end is so near now.

• Splash
    Splash

What monsters:

1:38 "Years later another test came our way. You see, back then, some were looking to a certain date as signifying the end of this old system of things. A few even went so far as selling their homes and quitting their jobs."

Yes, a few did do this, BECAUSE WT ENCOURAGED IT!
    Look at the pre-1975 evidence:

*** Kingdom Ministry, 6/69, p. 3 ***
    "In view of the short time left, a decision to pursue a career in this system of things is not only unwise but extremely dangerous."

*** w71 4/1 p. 214 Preach God's Kingdom with the Right Viewpoint ***
    "In modern times, among the many examples that might be cited is that of the young American couple that had settled down in a fine home and were planning to raise a family. Then one day the husband came home and said to his wife: 'Just what difference is there between us and the people of Christendom? We are contenting ourselves with mere token service when there is nothing to keep us from being in the full-time ministry. Let's quit our secular jobs, sell our home and enter the full-time pioneer ministry.' His wife gulped, for she had been looking forward to the joys of motherhood, to bearing and rearing a number of children. But she went to Jehovah in prayer and asked his help. And he did help her. So they entered the pioneer ministry and in a few years were invited to attend the Gilead missionary school."

*** km 5/74 p. 3 How Are You Using Your Life? ***
    "Yes, since the summer of 1973 there have been new peaks in pioneers every month. Now there are 20,394 regular and special pioneers in the United States, an all-time peak. That is 5,190 more than there were in February 1973! A 34-percent increase! Does that not warm our hearts? Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world’s end."

WT will send you down dead end life choices then deny it was them who said to do so.
    I've never seen such unscrupulous shamelessness for casually destroying peoples livelihoods.

And with this recent history still impacting people they demand that you trust them??????

• scotsman
    scotsman

Prepping their audience for another disappointment? He was "dedicated to Jehovah, not a date". What other dates might they rethinking?

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

Prepping their audience for another disappointment? He was "dedicated to Jehovah, not a date". What other dates might they rethinking?

That's what I'm thinking.

• Splash
    Splash

How any JW who lived through the 1975 shambles can tolerate this deception and blaming is beyond me.
    They know what was said. It was the central message at meetings, conventions, in the WT and from door to door.
    Newspapers and reporters repeated their stance and there's a ton of their own articles exposing them.

Unlike their catastrophic 1975 failure in which God had nothing to do with their false prophesy, the WT also printed this which still remains true:

"True, there have been those in times past who predicted an 'end to the world,' even announcing a specific date. Yet nothing happened. The 'end' did not come. They were guilty of false prophesying. Why? What was missing?...Missing from such people were God's truths and evidence that he was using and guiding them," (Awake, Oct. 8, 1968).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit