1975 all over again!!!

by John Aquila 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

ok so the end is nigh,

so,

they take more money, and make no sacrifice for the people?

how about close down all the buildings and pay off all the kingdom halls lessening the need for donations for anything other than what is needed to have electric and water at a k hall? why spend all the donations maintaining grounds of a huge estate when any printing needs can be outsourced to another company???

and all these years without media attention, NOW so close to the End, they need to be in the spotlight?

stop keeping track of peoples service and save paper. stop printing literature and use a bible.

why build when its going to be 'destroyed' ?

why is it ok for individuals to give up their homes and employment ?

thereby making themselves unavailable for the congregations who are obviously lacking in elders ministerial servants and pioneers?

so dumb.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I know two prominent elders who quit very good jobs in the run up to '75; one lived off his cash for a while, then went back to full time, but as a housepainter (no benefits, etc).

Another elder quit a good job with the state; he died broke, for a time he and his wife had moved to a state that had a home that offered free care for veterans (WWII).

The latter told me once he just didn't save enough for retirement; I was embarrassed to hear him say it. We both knew that he didn't need to, right? The end would come and solve all our problems.

It's why he had quit the job, he believed the end was near (because those 'in the know' KNEW it was coming by '75), but he couldn't say it out loud and instead had to put the blame on himself.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Diogenesister, that is very interesting to me, so this lady you mentioned has traveled all over the world and probably done a lot and is now unhappy and lonely. I've met people who have not traveled at all, have not done much in their life and have lived in the same place all their life with the same person and yet are extremely happy in their 80s -90s

Hey JohnA

re: the Walkill folks I think what I mean is that belief may not even be an issue anymore. As is often pointed out its the social thing that attracts them.

My elderly friend has a lot going wrong with her physically and hates it. Getting old if you are sick is lousy, lets face it, and as you mentioned she has done a lot and she is railling against losing her health and old age which she did not expect to happen.

In her case though, I think what really hurts is she lost her husband & daughter to alcoholism many years ago and I think the thought of never seeing them again, which has always been her hope, is worrying her very very much.

She has been through a lot. She came to england from Jamaica, following a husband that she loved in the days when it was hard for a black person to find work or a place to live. She told me she cried many tears. She worked washing dishes at first, even though she was a seamstess, as it was the only job a black person could get, and brought her five brothers and sisters over. They all paid her back in full. She told me told me the only people that would employ you in better jobs where Jewish, and eventually got a job as a seamstress.

Added to her daughters death and bad health I think her sadness comes from the changes in the org and having to face a death she was promised to be exempted from.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

This was the scariest thing around in 1975:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I91DJZKRxs

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

Diogenesister

re: the Walkill folks I think what I mean is that belief may not even be an issue anymore. As is often pointed out its the social thing that attracts them.

Yes, it is tough when you get old and you lose all your family and friends. And at that point, what’s the use if you can’t share your thoughts and feelings with someone? That’s when life starts to become meaningless and any social thing will do to get your through the day. I don't look forward to that day.

• life is to short
    life is to short

We did this in 1990. Sold everything, drove back to Brooklyn to work on 90 Sands with only what our 1984 high milled used Honda Civic could hold. The high miles came from driving 35,000 miles a year in the county pioneering. It was the same push back than with the same wordage in the magazines and from the stage.

What the car could hold was all we had to our name. We gave up everything. Two and a half year latter it was goodbye hope you make it somewhere but expect nothing from us,, don't let the door hit you in the butt. We took a vow of poverty, gave up some of the best money earning years of our life, years that cannot be replaced.

We came back to the congregation and everyone treated us like we were stupid, dumb and lower than scum for being so stupid as to not have jobs and a place to live. NO ONE HELPED US AT ALL. I totally felt like everyone in the "truth" felt we were idiots.

We did have a few elders offer us jobs working for them minimum wage which was $ 4.00 an hour where we were. $32.00 a day or $640.00 a month. Just to get a cheep rental was $800.00 a month.

It was so scary and terrifying. I was still a believer stupidly and I prayed and prayed and prayed my brains out. NOTHING from Jehovah. I worked three jobs and my husband got a full time job so much for going back into pioneering like we were told to do from Bethel.

All I can say is these stores are either made up or those people are in for a huge, massive let down.

LITS

• life is to short
    life is to short

Oh and I remember one time Don Underwood went on a rant about temporary's expecting help. How the Society was not there to help ones get back to NY to work, and that the ones in charge such as himself expected them to pay for at lest their first time coming back to work and then and only then would the Society think about paying for airfare in the future. While we were there some very well do do elders came back all expenses paid. That NEVER happened to any of the rank and file JW's only those who were had money and were connected so someone at Bethel. None of those who had their way paid for needed money to get back. It really, really bothered me but I again tried not to think about it too much.

Also the very first week we were there Gill Nazoroff ( not sure if I am spelling his name right ) went on a rant saying how sick he was hearing from ones who had come back to work and then left and were struggling to make it on the outside and blaming Bethel for their problems. I so clearly remember him saying no one forced them to come and they should have counted the cost.

At the time Gill's comment really bothered me hugely but like everything I tried not to think of it and keep my blinders on like the good little JW I was raised to be.

LITS

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

life is to short

I believe everything you are saying! The "organization" is all take, no give. They will use you up and spit you out. I will NEVER give a second of my time or a cent of my money to this life sucking cult.

Enjoy your freedom!

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

Sounds to me like they need HVAC, engineers, electricians and machinists

why no paragraphs about unskilled High School only educated labourers?

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    Sell your house and go volunteer at Wall--KILL The End is coming!!!!!

Oh, and don't forget to bequeath your nest egg from the sale of your house to the organization when you die.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit