Verses that bothered you as a JW

by JH 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• starScream
    starScream

actually Solomon prayed to God for Wisdom and he was so wise he knew that the real mother would not allow the child to be cut in half and give it up, its not hard to understand.

Abraham loved God so much he would do anything to please him. God knew Abraham would do what he said. By demonstrating his love for God by willingly sacrificing His son God foreshadows the love it means to sacrifice a Son, who was sacrificed not for God, but it was God's Son for man. God never intended for Abraham to sacrifice his son, that why he told him to stop. It was God's son that was to be sacrificed for people like Abraham, WHO HAVE FAITH. It is one of the most profound prophecies in the bible. A similar one is with Moses putting up a copper serpent and having people look upon it with faith and being healed, gee I wonder what that prophecy refers too.

Your problem with Abraham's obedience to God is rather ironic. It actually validates the Truth of the crucifixion.

also keep in mind God gave Abraham his son after he was unable to have one and when he and his wifer were beyond child bearing years. As The lord giveth So the lord taketh away. It is a different circumstance than yours.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Genesis 1:1 through to the end of Revelation.

• starScream
    starScream

nice Rayzor, that was funny.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hey StarScream...glad you got some of the sarcasm (humour), but without getting into it, I personally do not believe any of the bible.

For those that do and feel the need to discuss scripture, this is a pretty good place to share without any inhibitions.

Right now, the only book I believe in is: Macrame for Dummies

• Brummie
    Brummie

Matthew 8:11 gutted me when I first saw it as a JW, the ancient worthies IN the kingdom of heaven rather than UNDERNEATH as we were teaching people....ugh

and Hebrews 11:11-16 in the KIT, seemed to be saying the same as MATT 8:11.

Then Romans 8:9 about having the Spirit of Christ or being NONE of his, society applied it to anointed but it troubled me since it said ANYONE who doesnt have Christs spirit.

I had the ability to pretend I hadnt seen these scriptures and carry on as a normal JW does.

Brummie

• hippikon
    hippikon

The first one to bother me was the test and punishments for false prophets - ie So if you make a statementin Gods name and it dosn't come true you are put to death - I must admit it sounds good to me now!

BTW What would you think about a man who had at least 13 children to 4 diferent women?

• blondie
    blondie

Women are property. That is why only married and engaged women faced the penalty of death if they did not scream. A single woman's father merely received a fine paid by the rapist because his right to ownership was not as strong.

Deuteronomy 22:22-29 ***

"In case a man is found lying down with a woman owned by an owner, both of them must then die together, the man lying down with the woman and the woman. So you must clear away what is bad out of Israel.

"In case there happened to be a virgin girl engaged to a man, and a man actually found her in the city and lay down with her, 24 YOU must also bring them both out to the gate of that city and pelt them with stones, and they must die, the girl for the reason that she did not scream in the city, and the man for the reason that he humiliated the wife of his fellowman. So you must clear away what is evil from your midst.

"If, however, it is in the field that the man found the girl who was engaged, and the man grabbed hold of her and lay down with her, the man who lay down with her must also die by himself, 26 and to the girl you must do nothing. The girl has no sin deserving of death, because just as when a man rises up against his fellowman and indeed murders him, even a soul, so it is with this case. 27 For it was in the field that he found her. The girl who was engaged screamed, but there was no one to rescue her.

"In case a man finds a girl, a virgin who has not been engaged, and he actually seizes her and lies down with her, and they have been found out, 29 the man who lay down with her must also give the girl’s father fifty silver shekels, and she will become his wife due to the fact that he humiliated her. He will not be allowed to divorce her all his days.

I have seen this applied to say that only men were made in God's image. Wrong!

1 Corinthians 11:7 ***

For a man ought not to have his head covered, as he is God’s image and glory; but the woman is man’s glory.

Why doesn't Paul encourage men to marry in the Lord or would do better to stay single?

1 Corinthians 7:39-40 ***

A wife is bound during all the time her husband is alive. But if her husband should fall asleep [in death], she is free to be married to whom she wants, only in [the] Lord. 40 But she is happier if she remains as she is, according to my opinion. I certainly think I also have God’s spirit.

Because Israelite men could marry outside the Lord (not women because they were only property and belonged to the Gentile man)

Deuteronomy 21:10-14 ***

"In case you go out to the battle against your enemies and Jehovah your God has given them into your hand and you have carried them away captive; 11 and you have seen among the captives a woman beautiful in form, and you have got attached to her and taken her for your wife, 12 you must then bring her into the midst of your house. She must now shave her head and attend to her nails, 13 and remove the mantle of her captivity from off her and dwell in your house and weep for her father and her mother a whole lunar month; and after that you should have relations with her, and you must take possession of her as your bride, and she must become your wife. 14 And it must occur that if you have found no delight in her, you must then send her away, agreeably to her own soul; but you must by no means sell her for money. You must not deal tyrannically with her after you have humiliated her.
  • Mulan
    Mulan
    actually Solomon prayed to God for Wisdom and he was so wise he knew that the real mother would not allow the child to be cut in half and give it up, its not hard to understand.

That is exactly my point. Why is that so wise? It's terribly simplistic. Not wisdom, in my book. And, to set the record straight, I got the point..................I just didn't think it was "wisdom".

The Abraham and Isaac thing is also just dumb. And it prefigured the crucifixtion?....................don't even get me started on that one.

• greven
    greven
    Hooberus: I have never been a JW, but here is an observation: while the situation with Lots daughters is recorded in the Bible (as similar situations are recorded in news papers today, never is it said to be Gods will.

hooberus, the point is that Lot is not punished for it, neither are his daughters. That is strange considering the fact that Lot's nameless wife was killed by God for only looking back, something less profound as incest I would say. When I wasn't paying attention to the speaker I usually found myself reading random chapters of the Bible. I must say that the OT mentality as a whole made me sick. It really puzzeled me as a JW why the OT was so very different from the NT like reading to contradictory books. One book: Burn the infidel! Rape their women! Bash their children! New book: Love your enemies! turn the other cheek! Pray for your opponents! Weird! Greven

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

[quote]When I wasn't paying attention to the speaker I usually found myself reading random chapters of the Bible.[/quote]

LOL....now, that statement brings back memories...

I used to peruse the bible during the talks and find verses such as (during the Isaiah book study) "Jehovah alone is Savior and besides me there is no other"??(paraphrased) But I thought Jesus was the Savior? "Jehovah created the earth by himself" (again paraphrased) But I thought Jesus created the earth and all things in it (Colossians). I came across a verse in 1 Cor 10:1-4, that really blew my mind. IMHO, these are blatant contradictions, unless of course you buy into the whole trinity concept...

Also, the fact that God is just the opposite of my idea of just:

-He punishes the poor old Pharaoh for believing Sarah and Abrahams lie (Gen 12:7) -- talk about misguided punishment. That would be like me grounding my son when my daughter choked the dog. How stupid!

-The entire story of Pharaoh, the ten plagues on Egypt, the hardening of Pharaoh's heart by God, and the punishment that the people received as a result of that hardening, especially those poor little children (What did they do wrong?) and even the stinking livestock (what'd they do? Graze in the field just a little too long? )...just so that Jehovah's "wonders may be multiplied in the land of Egypt." (ie so that he can show everyone just what a big tough God he really is) (Ex 11:9)

-The treatment of women (Gen 19:8, Ex 21:7-8, Lev 19:20)

-The treatment of the lame (Lev 21:16-23. Num 5:1-4)

-Why does an Almighty God need the sacrifice of an innocent animal anyhow? I ask myself, if I were a deity, what would I do with all that blood?

-Witches, homosexuals, disobedient children, adulterers: all of these were considered "stone"-worthy offenses, yet you could own people and beat your slave near to death (just so long as you didn't kill them and they are up and about after 3 days), you could have sex with your daughters, and have a man killed so that you could marry his wife and remain in God's favor. Moses just smacks a rock and he doesn't even get to enter the promised land. How's that for fairness?

A few other things bother me about the bible, most of which I discovered while studying with the witnesse: The thing that Greven mentioned, the NT and the OT seem completely contradictory. The story about the guy carrying the ark of the covenent who grabbed it to keep it from falling and he dies as a result. Abraham willingness to sacrifice Issac. The story of Noah's ark is about as realistic as the Neverending Story.

I could go on and on...but I won't.

Brummie, that verse always got me too. According to the JWs, none of those OT prophets and wise men will be a part of the 144K. Actually the JWs will get the privilege to enlighten these old guys during the 1000 yr reign when everyone is "coming back to life". JW arrogance at it's best!!

Fun thread, really (in an odd sort of way)...

Sadie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit