counting time

by Sabin 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 4thgen
    4thgen
    Love? Unconditional love? NOT!
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Honestly, guys, is this really so surprising?

Afer all, we called it that even when we were still in. :smirk:

• 4thgen
    4thgen
    Well, with the new counting time arrangement, they can legitimately count their time as good works. Just wondering if they made the change in counting time because they know their publisher hours will continue to decrease and they needed to boost their volunteer numbers to keep their tax status. Surely with all the overspending and lawsuits they need to be tax exempt. If not they are screwed.
  • Tenacious
    Tenacious

Top Notch illustration Island Man.

Thanks.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

4thgen, my EXACT opinion. It is all about the necessary reporting to keep the tax free status.

Well, and also to keep those under mind control of the WTBTS thumb.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Matthew 6:1 "Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven."

Matthew 6:5 "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full."

When visited by a pioneer at my door about 2 years ago, I asked her to read this whole passage with me, and explain why she felt it was right to report her efforts to men. This practice appears to be in violation of Christ's commands.

She argued that she was not getting recognized by men for her good works. When questioned further, she told me that she was in fact, a pioneer, and that required 70 hours of field service each month. (although being a "pioneer" is not recognition or special treatment either, in her view...)

I then asked her what would happen, if she didn't turn in her time card. She panicked for a few seconds, then explained that they would just call her and get her report.

The only explanation she could come up with for the necessity of field service reports, was so that they could keep track of how many people they were reaching... and I suggested that God could probably keep track.

At the end of our discussion, she offered her magazines to me. For once, I refused, explaining that I would let God reward her for trying.

To my surprise, this same woman came to my door about 2 weeks ago! It's been a VERY long time since I've had a JW at the door. I had assumed that they'd blacked out my house on the map...

• Heaven
    Heaven

As a teenager back in the 1970s, I started noticing just how frequently Botchtower went beyond the scriptures. It was one of my issues with this group. Counting time was definitely one of these things.

But one of my first memories that something wasn't exactly right with this group was as a pre-teen. Back then, they used to pay a subscription for the ragazines and I thought it hypocritical to demonize money but then ask for it for their publications.

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman
    Rutherford 14:10 Service time only counts, while talking to the nonbelievers!
  • onightdivine
    onightdivine

Honestly, this counting of time is what hurt me way back.

I was a young lonely too naive of a woman who thought that those sisters kept studying with me because they cared about me.

But in one instance the bible study conductor cut the study and had to rush to a meeting. She mumbled something to another sister but I overheard her saying she already MADE THE HOURS.

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

Counting time makes liars of all JWs, pioneers being the worst. I submit around the average hrs every month whether I even preached at all that whole month or not.

The practice is hated by all JWs alike.

SL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit