Are we losing our way a bit at JWN?

by nicolaou 80 Replies latest forum suggestions

• humbled
    humbled
    When we discuss these things we should always try to reaffirm what the other person actually believes, and discuss from there because many times we all share the same big principles. —sir 82
    Good point.

We can be massively defensive, Sir82.

certainly our training was to never build on an existing good in the preaching work. It was destroy the existing belief and rebuild— never remodel.

l believed fundamentally before l became JW that there is a common sense of what hurts one person likely hurts another. A careful search for the point at which the branch conversational branch divides is worth the conversation. A conversation that finds its common root can find a solution to a shared problem.

Unless we decide it’s easier to destroy the opposition. Mow it down. Assume that there is nothing that other person agrees with in the least.

Unless we really want blood

we may have to settle for persistent good faith discussion —

assimilation !

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

That was actually me that said that not Sir lol

If we all applied the Socratic method we would find we have far more in common than we think, then we just debate the little stuff. It's not as offensive

• humbled
    humbled

When we discuss these things we should always try to reaffirm what the other person actually believes, and discuss from there because many times we all share the same big principles. —sir 82 —Freemindfade

Well , howdy doo!

I hate to take that back from from Sir82( l bet that is a sentiment he can go with) but it is yours, Freemindfade.

it’s been awhile since we were so closely allied. I will mark this and continue in this vein.

People do go from zero to 60 in some exchanges. As easily as not checking to see who posted that last thought.

Nice thought

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Fink I'm smacking my head right now... what are you doing

Clearing the matter up as it were.

Whats the problem ?

• mentalclarity
    mentalclarity

I think part of it has to do that there are more people actively commenting on the political posts. Maybe we can think of a way to keep those separate and not show up in the latest/hottest topics because it tends to bury all the jw posts that not too many comment on.

Personally I don't mind the politics - they might interest me more than a post on scandals/doctrines/whatever JWs are doing now because I frankly I don't really care too much what JWs are doing now. But I've been out for almost a decade.

I think this site is important for all ex jws at different stages- those lurking/those who have just awoken/those of us who have been out a while. We can all share some of our experiences and let people know "hey, there is a light at the end of the tunnel...it's all going to be ok. and provide support to those that have been literally abandoned by everyone they know.

But we all have different interests and posts that grab our attention- again, maybe it's a question of not including the political posts in what's been commented on last. I guess that would be a whole change in the system on how topics are listed so I'm not even sure that can be done.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

All these political topics become non productive pissing contests. I'm done with them.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

Nicolaou.

I was going to write something similar to your OP. I tend to watch YouTube these days as more and more issues are discussed around watchtower. Occasionally, I come to Jwn, but find a lot of 'other stuff' being discussed and can't be bothered. Not sure if topics running dry as a result of the slow lack of change within the watchtower society, resulting in other topics out with watchtower being raised instead?

• new boy
    new boy

All I can say is I guess "free speech" is tricky stuff.

Does everyone want free speech....sure

If there true speech in our society? Not really

Is there free speech on this forum? Not really.

They have a definite set of topics that are not permitted here.

So now the question were do you draw the lines?

I'm glad it's not my job to figure this out.

I guess censorship as always is a matter of opinion.....which is all free speech is a matter of opinion.

Everyone really has the right to through up in pubic....that doesn't everyone wants to watch it.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    nicolau - "Are we losing our way a bit at JWN?"

Wait, we have "a way" at JWN?

How come no one told me???

• flipper
    flipper

NEW BOY- Your comment, " Everyone has the right to through up in pubic....that doesn't mean everyone wants to watch it. "

Hilarious. God forbid I ever throw up in " pubic " . I am quite sure no one would ever want to watch that. I'm pretty sure you meant " public " ? Correct me if I'm wrong. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit