My mums dying she refuses blood transfusion...the horror.

by Witness 007 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

This whole situation saddens. Wondering if the "bloodless industry" has no answer for LEUKEMIA. Acess to free Stemcells therapy for all JW at Englewood?

Is there a treatment of Leukemia without blood transfusion?

http://noblood.org/forum/threads/7121-Is-there-a-treatment-of-Leukemia-without-blood-transfusion

If you have relative which is a Jehovah's Witness, we would recommend that you get the local Hospital Liaison Committee (HLC) involved.

I have a leukemia (ALL T).
    I have been put in remission in just 2 weeks with an old chemiotherapy : Oncovin (Vincristine) and cortisone.
    I am waiting for someone maybe in Europe to give me a non-myeloablative or an myeoloablative stem cells transplant without blood transfusion. This is possible (see Cedar Sinaï in Los Angeles). But Ask the CLH before doing any consults. ???

Oh I am sorry.. I didn't have read all.. well, technics used for transplant without blood transfusion could be used :
    - against l'anemia : Pediatric phlebotomy tubes, Adequate volume resuscitation , epogen,
    - against bleeding : vitamine K, antifibrolytics. When platelets< 5000 : desmopressin, vasoconstrictors, factor VIII

Ethics of blood less medicine

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-ethics-of-bloodless-medicine#

In Ian McEwan’s novel “The Children Act,” a judge must decide whether to insist upon transfusion for a seventeen-year-old Jehovah’s Witness who has leukemia and who cannot receive two critical drugs without also accepting donor blood, according to his doctors.

Tailored therapy of adult acute leukemia on Jehovahs witnesses

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15089764

This small series of adult patients with leukaemia illustrates difficulties in treating patients who are practising JW, yet nevertheless provides a significant argument against the prejudicial decision leading to evasion of treatment in these patients.

https://transfusionfree.usc.edu/case-studies/case-study-transfusion-free-leukemia-treatment/

In addition, scientists are continuing to look into ways to turn even this one exception around, to be able to treat leukemia bloodlessly. And they’ve begun to find their way, least in the treatment of one condition called acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL).

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I know this is a cold thought, but I think if I had a parent that was doing this I would wash my hands of the situation and just no longer come around. Why put yourself through This misery for a person that completely delusional and not willing to even think or use some common sense.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Which hospital are you at mate?

I am actually working at one of the Sydney hospitals today....

• Faded
    Faded

This really touches my heart. I lost a parent to leukemia, but the issue of blood vs. no blood wasn't a real factor (the strain had a 3% recovery rate in the age group and by the time diagnoses was made, there was no treatments available. Blood would have just prolonged things for a bit but there was no saving).

The HLC were there in the beginning when it was clear there was a major red blood cell deficit and there would be a lot of pressure for blood. But once we had a diagnosis, they pretty much went away and we were left to let our loved one die (a tortured painful death but at least we didn't have the vultures hanging around).

I'm so sorry you're going through this. These are terrible times you are dealing with and I'm sending you strength and healing thoughts.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I can really feel your pain in the words of your original post, and I'm very sorry that you're facing this. I wish there were some wise words to make you feel better, but all I can muster is to let you know that people here care and that we're all sorry about this. It was a fear that so many of us had, or still have.

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

I am very sorry to hear you are going through this. There is nothing worse than watching a loved one pass away without any power to change it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I support people's own decisions to decide that they won't go through medical treatments. But it is sad that we all know your mum isn't deciding this on her own, but is supporting the cult.

My condolences. Say your goodbyes the best you can, assume she won't be able to respond to you by tomorrow.

Strength to you and I wish you good thoughts of her.

• Are you serious
    Are you serious

Wow I am very sorry to hear what you're going through. No one should have to experience that. Last year while still serving as an elder I had to deal with the blood issue when a 20 something year old sister in the hall lost alot of blood from a very curable bleeding ulcer. Her blood levels dropped dangerously low. She almost died a few times but pulled through thank goodness. There I was "helping" as an elder so she would stay strong and not take blood while at the same time wishing I could tell her the truth about the blood issue. Glad to say the excellent doctors were able to stop the bleeding with a last minute last desperation procedure. She would've died if that hadn't worked. I'm so glad she pulled through or my conscience would be killing me. That was one of the final straws for me.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I'm so sorry this is happening to you.

I agree with On the Way Out's post though. I'm sure it is hard to think that way right now, but it's true.

This is an adult who is acting upon sincerely held beliefs. She has had plenty of opportunities to find the truth and change her thinking, and she hasn't. Even now, she doesn't--this is happening in the present tense.

It seems clear she has made her choice, even though it's baffling to us.

To her, accepting blood is disgusting, reprehensible, as bad as rape. Even if she were to magically change her beliefs right this second, that repulsion about blood would not disappear.

In the end, she has made her choice to abdicate critical thinking.

I am glad you are bringing her favorite things and being so kind. I'll bet she couldn't ask for more. :)

• Ding
    Ding

Very sorry.

Would blood fractions help?

You can show her that the WT considers blood fractions to be acceptable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit