Reddit post about elder asking congregation for money to fix his car!

by LongHairGal 37 Replies latest jw friends

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I actually know of a case where this happened. Except it was to buy this elder a car. He then managed to buy a car by applying to the lotteries board, through his sick wife. Yup you got it he got money from the people watchtower slams. I remember it been quite a scandal at the time. I was actually quite relived, at the same time, as I felt uneasy about if.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

All these ones who have been kicked out of Bethel over the last decades due to selling up the expensive city real estate have all been returned to the field.

The congregation has been asked to support these ones. Elders often have a vote to use congregation funds to help these ones

special pioneers get their rent, car and bills paid and get an allowance for living the good life.

they have such an easy life going to ministry groups everyday and then getting invites back for refreshments every day, they have no work to do it’s just a life on easy street

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

Heh, yeah, we had a special pioneer couple, and the elder body (at least it wasn't the whole congregation) were "kindly requested" by the COBE to chip in to buy the guy a car.

Fortunately, it was an extraordinarily wealthy congregation and it was relatively easy for most to contribute. I think they got him an older Toyota Camry.

• fulano
    fulano

Ex Bethelite.

Since when get SP’s their rent, car and bills (what kind of bills) paid?

I have been a SP before being a missionary and all we received was an allowance and we had to pay everything with that money. “Living the good life”? Are you joking? I had two work a day a week just to not starve.

Reading your posts I sometimes wonder ….

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

That's sad. Where I grew up, if someone had a need like that, they just had to let people know they were in a tough spot and there would be brothers and sisters offering help of all kinds. I don't recall any announcements asking for donations for a person's problems. It was a pretty tight-knit group with some fantastic people who took care of each other. To hear some of the experiences people had elsewhere is cringe-inducing. But I guess we all knew peope like that, too.

• hoser
    hoser

By enabling “needy” members of the congregation the begging problem never goes away

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

As LitleRockGuy mentioned, if this was something they did for everyone in need I wouldn't have a problem with it (and if the org - worth billions - didn't keep badgering for cash). But it's only for the privileged company men these days.

(TonusOH yes when I was young we were in a group of good people. As I grew older and moved I was shocked at the cold heartedness)

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

A friend who I only told recently that I had been raised a JW said her brother in law was an Elder and a Pioneer ( small world!), and she knows he doesn't pay for repairs on his Audi, I guess either his Congo. does or rich Bro.

In my Congo. before I left a well off bro. used to fill up the Tanks on Pioneer's cars when he was out with them on the knock-knocks. That seemed kind of wrong to me,that they would accept that, when I was a Reg. Pio. kindly ones used to give me a very small contribution toward petrol which I was embarrassed to accept, but they didn't drive so appreciated me being chauffer. No one ever really covered what it cost me, but a small thoughtful contribution was kind.

Getting back to Elder with Audi, my friend said "He has never worked since he left School " I must find out if she means worked full time, as I guess he must do part time, he is married with two kids.

• Atlantis
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

What's good for the goose.......IE. If the Governing Body(tm) (Pee be upon them), can ponce money off even poor people, then Jobots can follow their 'fine example(tm). The Holy Grift is on!

At the end of the day (or even at the beginning of it....even half way through), we are ultimately dealing with people.

People are a mistake.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit