Is it Possible to Love More than One Person?

by Robdar 64 Replies latest social relationships

• Introspection
    Introspection
    Would you, if possible, have sexual intercourse as an expression of your loving feelings with any other than the "one" you are "in love" with? Can it be done without becoming confused, emotionally? Should it be socially required that we choose only one? Or is it time for a love revolution?

Hi Robyn,

From the perspective of love itself, these questions are meaningless. From a personal level, it just depends on the person. All the 'shoulds' aside, what we're talking about is sexual intercourse apart from love, just in terms of what it is. What it is is also that you only "love" this person in a limited way, if it is just sexual attraction. Again, this is just calling it what it is, not a matter of good or bad judgement. The question, then, is whether these are two separate things for you or if it's one, since if it does go together you cannot have one without the other. You asked if it should be socially required that we choose one, (by that I assume you mean one person for all aspects) but then you ask if it is time for a 'love revolution'. My question to you is do you think we should have a 'love revolution?' Clearly different people feel differently about this, I don't see why the feelings of others are relevant other than if you are in relationship with them. What we need to do is accept ourselves, rather than seek others to accept us. If you do this, you can then accept others. Anything less is just not love.

Edited by - Introspection on 14 February 2003 11:49:54

• Robdar
    Robdar

Yes to all the questions!

Greven,

Thanks for your response!

But it depends on the person some people see sex as recreation and never take it to the deepest levels that can be achieved.

Sheila,

Interesting comments. I have felt this way before. And I still feel that way to a point. But, I think that love, like other things, evolves and that perhaps some of our sentiments are becoming out dated. It's just a thought that I have. I am not saying that I am certain about it. But then again, I am certain about little and ambiguity seems to be a feeling that I am becoming more and more acquainted with.

I chose not to act on every feeling I have.

JG,

Good call. It does come down to choices, doesn't it? And of course, choices lead to outcomes that may make us reconsider at a later date. I will try to find the book you mention.

All the 'shoulds' aside, what we're talking about is sexual intercourse apart from love, just in terms of what it is

Intro,

Whereas I can see your point, I believe that it is a little more complicated than this. Not everything can be reduced to such black and white points. Or at least not for me. I have never been able to do this in my life. But hey, I have been accused of thinking way too much.

I don't see why the feelings of others are relevant other than if you are in relationship with them. What we need to do is accept ourselves, rather than seek others to accept us.

If what you say is true, then why ever discuss anything with anybody? You have heard of making conversation, yes? To me, conversation is another art form. What have I said in my above questions that make you think that I asking others to accept me? This is a cyber conversation, my friend. And I thank you for your input.

I want to thank everybody for your participation in my Valentines day musings. I have enjoyed reading all your comments. Gives me more stuff to think about and for that I am always appreciative.

Love,

Robyn

• Introspection
    Introspection

I don't see why the feelings of others are relevant other than if you are in relationship with them. What we need to do is accept ourselves, rather than seek others to accept us.

If what you say is true, then why ever discuss anything with anybody? You have heard of making conversation, yes? To me, conversation is another art form. What have I said in my above questions that make you think that I asking others to accept me? This is a cyber conversation, my friend. And I thank you for your input.

Rob,

One of your original questions took the form of should things be this or that way, and as I've said I think it just depends on the individual. I made a point, if you don't think it applies to you, then there's no problem right? I'm not only posting for you, it's this topic I'm addressing, you just happen to be the one that brought it up. I mention that because it may be relevant for some, it's just a natural feeling for human beings to want to be accepted.

In terms of why ever discuss anything with anybody, that is not what I was addressing. You had mentioned if it is possible to do this without being emotionally confused, and that's what I was addressing. Like much of what I post about, I am simply addressing the internal perspective from the individual point of view. Certainly on one level it's all relevant because we are in some kind of relationship with other people, even if it's not a very intimate one. From that perspective of course it's relevant to an extent, but if this is a personal issue then that doesn't ultimately bear on it directly. We can make conversation all day long, but my guess is most people will agree that it is something we each decide for ourselves.

All the 'shoulds' aside, what we're talking about is sexual intercourse apart from love, just in terms of what it is

You're right about this one, I should have qualified it more specifically. As you said yourself, it's a matter of sharing sexual intercourse with someone you are not 'in love' with, so it's fair to call that what it is, yes? So the question is simply one of are you personally okay with that being separate from the one you are in love with. If it is unclear, it's just unclear. By saying this I don't mean to reduce your experience or anyone elses to these words, I am only describing basically what's going on. Certainly there may be a lot of feelings that we are not capturing here, but we gotta start somewhere. In any case, the feelings around this will no doubt be different for each individual, if we're going to talk about the issue then it's going to be more general.

To go back to another question you brought up, I say never mind what society accepts or not, it's just a matter of the individual's (again this is in general now, I am not speaking about you personally) own feeling and how the people in their lives feel. Whether society accepts it or not, the fact is there are people who feel differently.

Maybe I can sum it up this way: There is a difference between our love for a person and our love for our relationship with that person. To me, loving a person is pretty much unconditional - you pretty much love them for who they are. Loving our relationship with a person would bear more on whether it is of a sexual nature and what have you, so there's that. If we love the person then we'll just accept and respect whatever lifestyle they happen to choose, because the relationship is only a limited aspect of the people involved. So again, I am just making general observations, I don't know how this might relate to your own life situation in terms of this issue, but I suppose there's a place for everything, both the old and the new.

Edited by - Introspection on 14 February 2003 13:23:38

• Robdar
    Robdar

Intro,

Thank you for shedding more light on what you were explaining.

As you said yourself, it's a matter of sharing sexual intercourse with someone you are not 'in love' with, so it's fair to call that what it is, yes?

I never said that. Or, I don't think I did. I am talking about the many feelings of love that we have for others in our life. I was asking others for their opinions as to if they could or would share sexual intimacies with others that they have these feelings for. I was not speaking of sex for sex's sake.

And in your previous post you asked me if I thought that we should have a love revolution. My answer is yes. We have had the sexual revolution and IMO that has caused some confusion for us as a society. It's time to bring the love, in whatever form that may take, back into the sexual equation.

Love ya (but not in "that" way)

Robyn

Edited by - robdar on 14 February 2003 13:43:6

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm inclined to think that it is possible to be romantically in love and intimate with more than one person at a time. I think it is the fear of loosing someone that causes most people to not like the idea of their lover loving someone else at the same time. Most people want to settle down into a stable relationship that will be there for a long time, if not for the rest of their life, and having that other element could be seen as a possible disruption.

Just my opinion.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

I absolutely believe it is possible to love more than one person at the same time and I have no problem with expressing sexual love to more than one person at the same time. I would and have had sex with friends. But when I married my husband we decided it was a pledge of committment and sexual fidelity to each other exclusively. This does not mean we dont feel the desire to still express love in a sexual way with others, but we choose not to. Basically becoz it is not all that safe, and also WE have an understanding of the emotional repercussions of sexual expression and love of each other's hearts...but to assume someone else has the same set of rules is risky. What I mean is just becoz I can emotionally handle having sex with someone I love other than my husband--does not mean that that person is capable of the same thing or of leaving it at that, so I would not do it, if I truly loved that person, becoz it could hurt them. I believe love means knowing the other persons limits and vulnerabilities and respecting them and protecting them. I am not sure if my husband and I would ever agreed to let someone else in on our committment--ours is enough for us.

Ravyn

• Introspection
    Introspection

Robyn,

It's time to bring the love, in whatever form that may take, back into the sexual equation.

I certainly agree with this statement. In fact, if we are talking about the "big love", then that should be the case with everything else right? I think it is really just a matter of allowing that love to naturally shine, and whatever form it will take will basically take care of itself. This is what I meant by love for the person - not so much their personality, but just all of how they are as a living being. If you really do love them certainly you'll know them for who they are, and if you know them that would avoid any hurt feelings by way of how you relate with each other.

• wednesday
    wednesday

Agree, open marriages have been tried, and don't work. i think , however, that u do not have to have sex with someone to betray your marriage partner An emotionally intimate relationship with someone other than your spouse can lead to the same feelings of betrayl. Also, leaving betrayl of your spouse out ot the equation,do u really want to complicate your life with more than one sexual relationship? Sometimes sex can ruin a really good friendship.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I think it is the fear of loosing someone that causes most people to not like the idea of their lover loving someone else at the same time

Elsewhere,

I agree. I think that this is particularly the case when the couple is married and have children together. Also, economic ties.

What I mean is just becoz I can emotionally handle having sex with someone I love other than my husband--does not mean that that person is capable of the same thing or of leaving it at that, so I would not do it, if I truly loved that person, becoz it could hurt them. I believe love means knowing the other persons limits and vulnerabilities and respecting them and protecting them

Ravyn,

That was well said. Thank you for adding depth to this thread.

I think it is really just a matter of allowing that love to naturally shine, and whatever form it will take will basically take care of itself. This is what I meant by love for the person - not so much their personality, but just all of how they are as a living being. If you really do love them certainly you'll know them for who they are, and if you know them that would avoid any hurt feelings by way of how you relate with each other.

Intro,

That was beautiful.

Thank you all for your responses.

Love yas,

Robyn

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Wednesday said:

Sometimes sex can ruin a really good friendship.

I totally agree!

Robyn,

I haven't read all of the posts on this thread but from my personal perspective, yes you can love many people at the same time; however, I don't believe we can truly be "in love" with more than one person. I could be mistaken, that's certainly not outside the realm of possibility , but judging from my own experience, the two times in my life that I've truly been in love, there was absolutely no desire or need to be with someone else. There was no room in my emotional landscape to extend to another the depth of feelings I had for that one person. I wonder sometimes (and I sincerely am not directing this at any particular person) if people who use this argument are not attempting to find some way to rationalize the betrayal (emotionally, sexually, etc) of their significant other. OTOH, I do try to keep an open mind and realize that my experiences are purely subjective and cannot be generalized to others.

Thanks for an interesting topic,

Dana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit