Suicides

by new boy 61 Replies latest jw friends

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

Is dedicating a book to victims of suicide really that repulsive?

• sir82
    sir82

Is dedicating a book to victims of suicide really that repulsive?

No, unless you publish the names of the victims without permission of the surviving family, who very well might wish to retain their privacy.

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

Yeah fair one. I didnt consider that.

• mentalclarity
    mentalclarity

@scruffmcbuff You could just make a general dedication without putting specific names.

I know someone in my extended family who committed suicide and he was a well known JW. I don't think most were aware he died of suicide. I think it would just bring more pain to his family if his name was published in a book dedicated to suicide victims and I don't know if it was the organization or other issues that made him do that.

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

The other problem with dedicating it to suicide victims is the approach that is taken to publish their names on the basis of second hand information. Newboy says he want the book to be accurate and correct and factual. Publishing a list of suicide names without knowing or being able to confirm if they were actually JW related is not meeting the stated standards of accuracy. Though it is probably very often related, just because a JW committed suicide does not automatically mean they took that action because of JW related issues. It may be completely unrelated, depression, mental health issues, tragic love life, who knows.... it could be anything. Every circumstance is unique and it is not fair or accurate to paint every case with the same brush and attribute every JW suicide to problems with the org.

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

Having said all that I have appreciated Newboys contributions here and his experiences on Bethel life. I think they are valuable to know about.

• new boy
    new boy

"I think it's better if people know what you're up-to."

What I'm up too?

Since no one here has read this book in its entirety, thanks for the judgement.

It's about real people with real names who have been who killed themselves while they were Jehovah's Witnesses.

What were the reasons they did this, I guess we'll never know. Do you think that guilt in some form could be responsible? The point is the organization who claim to be "The happiest people on Earth" are really just like all the other religions out there.

No that's no true they are not like most religions out there they are way worst.

Why is that? Because of the the amount of guilt they discriminate. Can you think of any other modern day religion that uses this kind of guilt? The Catholics use to. The Mormons....no. The society has fine tuned this guilt into an art form.

There is so much guilt and fear that the vast amount of members here (and many here have been out for years) are still scared to death about what this organization can still do to them or their families. Yes repercussions for standing up and speaking the real truth. So yes you think you are out but you are not really are you? Because of your friends families you are still roped and tied it. In truth most of you will never be out completely, how can you be?

You don't believe that is true? How many posters here have the courage to post their real names? Maybe a hand full. So yes in a sense they do still have control over you don't they. You are forced to play by their rules. That kind of power is terrifying!

That being the case, my guess is that they have a much higher rate of suicides among their members because of this factor.

You didn't like the way I gathered this information by talking to Jehovah's Witnesses. Like so many JWs they were willing to bend the rules and talk to me.

Now you are worried about repercussions they may receive for doing this.

True this may happen on the other hand maybe when they are hauled into that back room and interrogated. They too might get the epiphany "wow this is big brother from 1984" and maybe its time to leave Nazi Germany!

The bottom line is guys is every day people dying because of this nasty and toxic religion. I by myself can't stop this but I'm going to do everything in my power to slow up the process.

Keith Casarona

• Exelder
    Exelder

"It's about real people with real names who have been who killed themselves while they were Jehovah's Witnesses.

What were the reasons they did this, I guess we'll never know."

Exactly. There could be any number of mental issues involved...and here you are wanting to post their names in a book for everybody else to see without doing any research or having access to medical files etc.

It is so insensitve.

You just don't 'get it' do you.

• Simon
    Simon
    What were the reasons they did this, I guess we'll never know. Do you think that guilt in some form could be responsible? The point is the organization who claim to be "The happiest people on Earth" are really just like all the other religions out there.

The sad fact is that there will ALWAYS be individuals who commit suicide, in any large-enough group of people.

AFAIK they don't claim that they have a zero suicide rate. I don't know if they have a higher or lower rate than the normal population but that isn't what you're trying to establish is it - you just want to point at some tragic incidents and shout "see, see!!" which IMO is simply using those deaths for your own 'getting back' at the WTS.

Did those individual JWs and families of those who killed themselves personally do anything to you? If not, leave them the hell alone. Talking to people in nursing homes etc... doesn't come across as being honest and open about who you are, what you are doing and how you intend to use the information they give you.

• zophar
    zophar

How many suicide names might you add to your book once you expose someone who has talked to you and is mentally struggling right now?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit