6 Reasons The U.S. Should Slow Down

by teejay 43 Replies latest jw friends

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Chill Berten ..... Its just a lively debate. Unlike the Borg, we all can express our opinions. Nutin' personal dude.

• Simon
    Simon

The European countries listed as supporting the USA are hardly the 'leaders' in Europe:

the Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Spain and the United Kingdom

Kind of scraping the barrel? The UK seems to be ready to support the USA in anything no matter what. Tony Blair always seems amazed that he gets to site next to the President and would probably agree to him bombing us if he suggested it.

It's noticable that the big European nations like France and Germany are not as supportive.

• LB
    LB

It's gonna happen kids. Doesn't matter how you feel about it. We didn't activate all those reserve and guard units and spend millions of dollars just to go back home with our tail between our legs.

Yes France and Germany are not supporting things, publicaly. Didn't france once find itself doing the same crap when the germans were goosestepping across their border?

Dakota seems to have complied quite a list there. It's being ignored. Enough is enough. Saddam is going to play public opinion until we break the strings on his violin.

Cry all you want. Bombs will be falling soon. People are going to die. One dictatorship down with a new one in place before you know it.

Think there is a connection with all this and the 40 cent price rise in gasoline prices over the past month?

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

I find it strange that people here want things to slow down in order to preserve life. Face it. Its going to happen. The sad thing is all of this 'slowing down' and 'waiting for inspections' is giving Saddam more time to build defensive positions and produce more weapons. If anything, all of this crap is going to cost more lives. Thanks alot.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

TeeJay,

Let's go point by point.

1. WE NEED TO SEE MORE PROOF ON IRAQ.

Ummmm, Powell's presentation to the Security Counsel was pretty convincing. Then again, for those oppossed to the war NO PROOF would be enough.

2. INSPECTIONS SHOULD LAST LONGER

WHY! LONGER TO DO WHAT? The Inspectors job was NOT to go out and FIND ANYTHING. They were to verify that Saddam had gotten rid of banned weapons, and abandoned weapons programs he had agreed to. Powell presented clear facts that Iraq failed to do this, and was actually hiding things from the Inspectors. Therefore, there's no need to have inspectors there at all. If Saddam ain't gonna play by the rules, the inspection program won't work.

3. THE U.N. MUST BE THE ONE TO AUTHORIZE WAR

The Constitution of the United States NOWHERE mentions the UN being the authority for declaring war, it's Congress, who has already authorized the use of force. Our Treaty with the UN doesn't prohibit the action of Self Defense that this war will be.

4. INVADING IRAQ DISRUPTS THE WAR ON TERROR

Actually, as Sec Powell proved last week, the war with Iraq IS part of the War on Terror.

5. COWBOY BUSH IS BACK, AND HIS STYLE GRATES

This almost doesn't warrant comment, however, if his style grates TOUGH! Get over it, he reflects how most Americans feel.

6. AMERICA'S FOREIGN POLICY IS TOO ARROGANT

Says who? And who's the judge on this issue. France? HA! Germany? Yeah Right! The only three countries in Europe opposing the US in Iraq is France Germany and Belgium. A bunch of Has beens trying to wield power they no longer own on the world stage, which explains why this is grating to them, they're all washed up has beens.

Edited by - Yerusalyim on 10 February 2003 13:14:53

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Doesn't anyone find strange the "faith initiative" that bush is passing right under everyone's noses, while we're all worrying about war?

Great stuff Teejay - & Dakota.....I personally believe we now have no choice but to go in....Bush has pushed us into a corner we can't get out of diplomatically anymore......and I worry the consequences for his arrogance will be severe eventually. We should have listened to the other middle eastern countries when we had the chance - we didn't. We have now thrown Sadam into a situation where he has no choice to band w/his own enemy (Al-Quieda) as he see's there is no choice - he's going down. All he has left is to pass his weapons & what not off to those he knows will do the greatest harm - people the "experts" say he would have probably NEVER used unless he felt that there was no other option.

Edited by - pettygrudger on 10 February 2003 13:25:45

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Petty,

You're right, it's all Bush's fault. Saddam's noncompliance with 17 UN Resolutions and his aggressiveness in the region coupled with his Weapons programs and deciet and the fact that he harbors and lends aid and comfort to terrorists has NOTHING to do with the coming war. Thanks for straightening me out.

Ohh, and the Faith Based Initiative, Bush has been pushing this since jump street. He just had a nationally televised speech on just this subject. Yep, he's trying to "slip it past everyone"

Edited by - Yerusalyim on 10 February 2003 13:31:54

• AlanF
    AlanF

I generally stay out of political discussions, but perhaps someone can answer this for me:

I've read a report or two that France and Germany have sold plenty of weapons to Iraq under the table, perhaps in violation of specific sanctions against doing that, or at least against ethical principles, given that Saddam is nothing more than a common criminal. If so, France and Germany would have a big vested interest in not letting other nations find out about their activities. Does anyone know if France and German have actually sold weapons to Iraq?

AlanF

• Erich
    Erich

I think its too late to change the present situation and to come to a solution without war. There are now about 120,000 US-troops around Irak. It would be an enormous loss in political prestige for Bush to withdraw the troops. No I think they cannot. They are sitting in a self-made trap. On the one side they certainly know, that there is a minimal chance to overrun the Iraq within a very short time. But they know they must win within very short time; because if the war lasts longer than 2 weeks, the opinion of the whole world will turn against the US-troops. Further, a long-lasting war would surely implicate the use of mini-nukes and other extreme weapons, and the Irakian civilists would suffer miserably and horribly. That situation would bring ALL muslims up against USA. Now, in this tribulation, the rest of the US- and NATO-allies will withdraw their consent. The UN anyway, from the beginning.. The United States stand alone then; completely. I think Mr. Bush and his advisers did never consider these aspects carefully enough.

The present world situation is the most dangerous since 1945.

E.

• Erich
    Erich

Alan: Does anyone know if France and German have actually sold weapons to Iraq?

Everyone knows that nearly ALL industrial countries sold weapons to Irak in the 80ies. USA too.

E.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit