6 Reasons The U.S. Should Slow Down

by teejay 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

Regarding the UN and it's credibility and viability in this Iraqi situation:

1. Which Country was recently appointed to chair the UN's Commission on Disarmament?

2. Which Country did the UN recently allow to head the UN's Commission on Human Rights?

Answer to question 1: Iraq

Answer to question 2: Libya

So, given these RECENT appointments, tell me how much credibility I should give to the UN? They are idiots.

Farkel

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    would probably agree to him bombing us if he suggested it.

Said Simon.

LMAO. Now, that would be comedy.

• Erich
    Erich

USA will probably leave NATO - and even the UN - after a war that they had to strike ALONE. Regardless of the outcome... The result then (finally): Europe and similar industrial countries will stand absolutely unprotected against following attacks coming from islamics fundamentalists or other dangerous groups in the future. US can withdraw their troops and flee into "splendid isolation". Europe can not.

E.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed
    Europe and similar industrial countries will stand absolutely unprotected against following attacks coming from islamics fundamentalists or other dangerous groups in the future. US can withdraw their troops and flee into "splendid isolation". Europe can not.

Here I thought Europe didn't want or need anything from the US? Erich, you are describing a perfect situtation of Radical Islam holding you hostage. Knuckle under to the bullies and everything will be alright. Ya'll tried that back in 1937 with Hitler and it failed then too.

I keep saying it, if you really want to avoid war, stand firm against Saddam and demand he comply with the resolutions he has ignored. All he need do is acknowledge what and where his banned weapons are or were destroyed. Compliance will end this before any shots are fired.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hi Erich,

: Everyone knows that nearly ALL industrial countries sold weapons to Irak in the 80ies. USA too.

Of course, but it should be obvious I was asking about arms sales AFTER the Gulf War, since such a big deal has been made about keeping Iraq unarmed with Weapons of Mass Destruction. I've read reports that during 1990s, both German and French companies -- whether with government approval or not -- sold "banned" weapons to Iraq. I'm wondering if anyone can provide concrete proof or disproof, or even point me to reasonable discussions, of these charges.

AlanF

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

CZAR,

How do you propose to "make" Iraq accept things like spy planes. THEY DON'T WANT TO! There is not a diplomatic way to make them do anything. The only way we can is if we whack them. Take 'em out!

Did you read the news today?

• ballistic
    ballistic

It's this fear thing. Bush has fear written all over him. Either it is warrantied and we will thank him later, or fear itself will cause a war we'll all regret.

Whether he's right or not, I don't know, but fear I see as a position of weakness. Fear can control people in it's own right, even to the extent of paranoia. Fear is a state of mind; it is not reality, only how we interpret reality.

I would be happier if he was going to war without his fears.

• Eric
    Eric

Alan,

I have no information one way or the other, but I'm just trying to think logically.

If I had sold weapons to Iraq illegally, wouldn't the last thing I want be extended and more thorough UN inspections of same?

Unless the inspectors were in my pocket, then full speed ahead!

Eric

• AlanF
    AlanF

: If I had sold weapons to Iraq illegally, wouldn't the last thing I want be extended and more thorough UN inspections of same?

Sure, except:

: Unless the inspectors were in my pocket, then full speed ahead!

A related thing I read was that it seems someone is warning the Iraqis of upcoming inspections, apparently giving them time to move stuff away. It was said that the only way for someone to warn them was for inspectors or a small number of government officials, who knew of the upcoming inspections, to leak the information. Of course, it could be that Iraqi intelligence is successfully bugging the inspectors, but I would think that they'd be careful enough for that not to happen.

I can only imagine the embarrassment if French and/or German companies are found, after what seems to be an inevitable defeat of Saddam's regime, to have been selling prohibited weapons to Iraq. Heads would roll big time in both governments.

AlanF

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

The poor French are screwed. They are making a big fuss about all of this and we are still going to go in. I guess that shows the value of their opinion......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit