Is There Life After Death

by Brokeback Watchtower 62 Replies latest social entertainment

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

This only took 4 pages to devolve into the standard “whats reality?” Discussion.

• cofty
    cofty
    The body is the actuality and the soul is the potentiality - Brazil

What is a soul exactly, and how do you know?

This only took 4 pages to devolve into the standard “whats reality?” - Morpheus

Indeed! It's a way of looking profound while avoiding all burden of proof. I cannot count how many threads have been ruined by the same tedious sophistry.

Nobody can PROVE that we are not brains in a vat. So f***ing what?

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Indeed! It's a way of looking profound while avoiding all burden of proof. I cannot count how many threads have been ruined by the same tedious sophistry.

Exactly so.

please note: i enjoy a good philosophical debate, a good question reality story and in general the idea that we dont know everything... but when taken seriously as concrete reality it gets tedious trying to find the ‘way out’, so to speak.

Everything we experiance can in fact be defined and repicated amongst individuals and is therefore accepted as “real”. We all see and feel the chair in a similar way and therefore accept it as real. Questioning the chairs reality is a fun mental exercise but dont mistake it for “deep thinking”.

• Brokeback Watchtower
  • Brokeback Watchtower
  • Brokeback Watchtower
  • Half banana
    Half banana

There is no reason to believe there is life after death.

There is no evidence for us to believe that humans have been singled out for this extraordinary experience.

There is not one securely recorded instance of any of the one hundred and five billion people who have ever lived who are known to have lived after they have died.

To believe in a resurrection you have to believe in magic events and explanations which defy common sense and everyone's collective experience. Books which have characters coming back from the dead are called fairy tales.

To live after you die is wishful thinking sustained by the human terror of death and the snake oil teachings of religion.

• Brokeback Watchtower
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    There is no evidence for us to believe that humans have been singled out for this extraordinary experience.

Really? As far as we know we are the only beings that have ever contemplated the origins of the universe and its purpose. The very fact we can pose the question, and apparently make sense of the universe, puts us in an extraordinary and unique position. Why did the universe give rise to beings that can pose these questions? Just random luck and for no reason? Maybe, I guess. But even that possibility seems utterly mysterious and awe inspiring.

• Brokeback Watchtower

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit