WiFi problems? Want a faster network? Try Powerline Adapters!

by Simon 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Petraglyph
    Petraglyph

I tested something like this in the office in the early 1990's and it tripped the power all the time taking most of the floor out so we quickly abandoned the idea.

I suspect they have improved things somewhat?

Thanks for the heads up Simon, I've been considering moving my office to one of the back bedrooms and was concerned about the wifi speed for video conferencing etc.

I think you may have just proposed the solution :)

• Dagney
    Dagney

I think I need this. Is this the gadget that I can connect my TV to for better streaming?

• Listener
    Listener

We just bought one and any are still trying to connect it. It does not have WiFi capabilities so you need a cable to connect it to a device. My son is trying to connect t it to another modem which has WiFi but hasn't figured out how to do it yet.

Our is only 500mbs and won't reach anywhere near that speed but he says that is sufficient for what we need. There are some good reviews for the gigabit ones.

• Simon
    Simon
    Is this the gadget that I can connect my TV to for better streaming?

Yes, this would easily do 4K video from a media server (your internet connection is likely the bottleneck otherwise)

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Simon

Many thanks for the information.

Definitely will investigate it.

Rub a Dub

• never a jw
    never a jw
    Thanks. Few minutes ago I was precisely trying to solve exactly the same problem, and my solution was to run an ethernet cable that would be about 45 to 55 feet long. This, for me, is the most fortuitous thread of the year.
  • Dagney
    Dagney

I heard about this from my nephew who has dreadful internet speed. He said his GF bought a gadget that used the electric wiring to bump the speed for streaming Netflix, which is all I want it for.

So I just bought one from Amazon. I hope it works with my particular Motorola modem. I'll keep you posted. It will be delivered Sunday.

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd
    Another option is ethernet over coax adapters. They seem to be a little more stable and reliable. Power line adapters can be problematic if there is noise on the line from certain electrical devices like motors or cheap transformers (like phone chargers).
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Gee Simon, that sounds great that there's a way to add faster speed to slow computers, etc. Now if only I understood what the heck you were talking about, the different parts and all that since I'm not a tech person !

• the girl next door
    the girl next door
    Does one device need to be hardwired to the modem/router via Ethernet cable? Is the second device located anywhere, and will it transmit wirelessly to boost signal or must it be hardwired into the computer, tv, console, etc?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit