WiFi problems? Want a faster network? Try Powerline Adapters!

by Simon 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

WiFi is great. It's so easy and convenient. But it can be slow.

Years ago when it first came out you maybe had a PC and a couple of other devices at most. Nowadays you can have so many WiFi enabled gadgets you can struggle to identify them when you look at your router. WiFi devices outnumber people in our house at least 3 or 4 to one.

Nest thermostat, Dropcam's, PCs, Consoles, Phones, Tablets, Printer, Scanner, SLR etc...

Not only are you competing over channels with your neighbors (esp. if you have idiot ones who set their router wrong) but worse still, every device you add reduces the speed for all of them because the signal is divided up.

I run Tomato firmware on our router which helps give performance a boost but the room furthest from it never got a great signal and unfortunately, that was where our most avid gamer lived. I was trying to push him to use the XBox streaming option to his PC so we could watch programmes instead of Halo but it was too laggy even though it worked amazingly well from other machines (both PC and XBox using WiFi).

I'd looked at Powerline Adapters before but they didn't get great reviews and even the notional speeds weren't stellar, often 20Mb-ish. But it seems time has moved on and the latest models now offer connections upto Gigabit speed (theoretical).

For those who don't know what they are - they use the mains power cabling in your house to send a network signal. It's like getting the benefit of a hard-wired network but without the cabling ... the wires are already in your walls.

I got some ZyXEL adapters (PLA5456KIT) which come in a kit of 2 (because you need one at each end initially). I'd never heard of them before but they got tended to do better in reviews than the big name brands (e.g. Linksys). Each has a passthrough for the main as they should be plugged directly into the wall, not any extension strip that may filter out the signal. They also each have 2x gigabit ethernet ports so if you have a PC and a games console it works out great.

So do they work? Yes! Now the PC has the fastest connection in the house. I don't know if they are providing the full speed as promised yet but it's plenty fast enough and maxes out any broadband speed test (unless you are streaming video internally in your house, your connection to the outside will always be the bottleneck).

The only downside is when plugged into a double socket, the top one can no longer quite fit a plug that has a ground pin on it. The passthrough power plug saves this being a huge issue but it's worth knowing.

Overall I'd highly recommend them though. The other plus is that the devices you remove from the WiFi network mean better speeds for the ones that are left - phones, tablets and lesser used devices.

Now we just need Google to give us Gigabit internet ...

• Giordano
    Giordano
    Thanks Simon going to look into it.
  • StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    Powerline ethernet has been around for a while. There has been attempts to make use of the standard to actually distribute internet traffic thru the power grid to home and businesses. As with every potentially disruptive technology, the big players found a way to shelf the idea. It has come a long way now compared to then (about 2005 was when we first experimented with them). It used to have very weak encryption and the signal could leak thru meters to the next house or apartment.
  • Simon
    Simon
    There has been attempts to make use of the standard to actually distribute internet traffic thru the power grid to home and businesses.

They actually use it to send signals to meters et... to control cheap rate and such things but yeah, the telecoms companies are a powerful lobby and electricity suppliers aren't setup to compete in that space.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Thanks Simon, I was interested in this option for my old PC but this one works well on wifi so I didn't pursue it . Seemed a good idea though
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Been using a cheap Maplin powerline adapter for the last couple of years to give me WiFi in my garden and summerhouse. Setup was a snap and the signal is excellent. I can apsotasize while I BBQ!
  • FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Interesting, need to check on limitations. I have an office separate from the main house, but the wifi signal is weak so when I am working at home, I usually work in the house. The electricity from the house powers the remote building (underground cable).

Could be an option or only works on main circuits in the house?

• Simon
    Simon
    I can apsotasize while I BBQ!

"and nicolaou proceeded to offer up a burnt offering ... it was a sausage"

(probably not true, I'm sure your BBQ-ing is better than mine)

Could be an option or only works on main circuits in the house?

That sounds like it should work but maybe buy from a place with a decent returns policy just in case. You can also get WiFi range boosters (there was one power-line adapter that also did double duty to extend WiFi as well)

• WasOnceBlind
    WasOnceBlind
    Yeah I use it since I have my wifi router in the bedroom and my media pc in the living room seperated by a cement wall. It works really good, the only thing I wouldnt use it for is for something that requires a fast ping response time like online gaming.
  • Simon
    Simon
    the only thing I wouldnt use it for is for something that requires a fast ping response time like online gamin

What model do you have? He's tried some gaming and seems to like it saying it's improved. Maybe that's the new spec MIMO / AV2 making a difference? I didn't look too much into the tech to be honest - trying to make decisions without 3 months of analysis and a spreadsheet first, LOL.

I just checked and it's giving a rate of 686 Mpbs which is much better than I was expecting (the numbers on the box are a theoretical max that only happen in a lab with perfect signal etc...). I should try the latency though to check what it's like.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit