my son is O+

my eldest daughter is A+

and my youngest daughter is O+

• teejay
    teejay

Do I know my blood type? Yes.

• Scully
    Scully

Bumping this for someone looking for info.

• JH
    JH

I don't know if this was treated in this long thread, but can couples have problems if their blood types are incompatible as far as having children goes?

• JH
    JH

My mom told me that her doctor told her back then that if she had another baby, it could be a blue baby...??? as if her blood type and my dad's were incompatible

• Dimples
    Dimples

O + for me.

DIMPLES

• Joel Wideman
    Joel Wideman

I'm AB something. Negative, I think.

• Scully
    Scully

Yes there are two conditions that are dangerous for newborns:

Hemolytic Disease of the Newborn is the result of a baby with Rh+ blood being born to a mother with Rh- blood. The mother requires an injection of a blood fraction (WinRho, Anti-D, Rhogam) usually at 28 weeks gestation and within 72 hours of the birth to protect future pregnancies. The firstborn child usually has no symptoms, but the condition is more dangerous with each untreated pregnancy.

ABO incompatibility is the result of a mother with Type O blood giving birth to a baby with either type A or B blood. These babies usually become jaundiced within 24 hours of birth and require treatment with phototherapy to neutralize the bilirubin (yellow pigment that causes jaundice) that is increasing in the baby's bloodstream. Bilirubin increases as the result of red blood cells (and the hemoglobin they contain) breaking down.

• Scully
    Scully
    My mom told me that her doctor told her back then that if she had another baby, it could be a blue baby...??? as if her blood type and my dad's were incompatible

"Blue baby" is the term that was used to describe Hemolytic Disease of the Newborn (also known as erythroblastosis foetalis). It wasn't until the 70s that phototherapy was used to treat these babies. Prior to that babies required total blood replacement to survive, and sometimes in severe cases it is still required. Now, mothers receive the Rhogam injection and the babies are protected from developing this condition.

• xjwms
    xjwms

Good question

I should find out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit