Do You Know Your Blood Type?

by RAYZORBLADE 83 Replies latest watchtower medical

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

The universal donor/recipient. Scully, thanks for posting that graph earlier, it looks familiar. Very useful.

Generally speaking: Type O is the Universal Donor (as it has no anti-A or anti-B antigens) so it causes no reaction. Keep in mind, we're discussing Rh Positive blood here.

Generally speaking: Type AB is the Universal Recipient (as it has no antigen reaction to Type A or Type B) and Type O has no anti A or B antigens. So persons with Type AB, can receive TYPES: A, B, AB & O safely.

**Important to remember**

If someone is rh negative, they can only receive rh negative blood. This is where being rh negative can have disadvantages, and people whom are O Negative, can ONLY receive O Negative. Interestingly enough, their blood is the MOST valued, as it can be given to anyone: both Rh Positive or rh negative regardless of type.

Interestingly enough, an rh negative person, can safely give their blood to an Rh Positive person (within same blood type), again with O Negative being the one that anyone can receive.

For me, being A Negative, I can only receive the same, or O Negative.

Rh Positive blood if transfused into a an rh negative person, even with the same blood type, can cause a reaction. I has been done, but it throws the body's immune system out of wack, because the Rh Positive factor induces a response to the rh negative person's immune system.

Rhogam, yes, I am familiar with that. That is what has been given to women who are rh negative after they've had their first child.

For mothers expecting their first child, it is important (JW or XJW) to know their blood type so that there are no problems later on down the road with the birth of their child. Knowing this in advance may alleviate unnecessary surprises down the road later.

I'm surprised at the response to this topic. Thanks everyone .

Edited by - RAYZORBLADE on 27 January 2003 1:1:51

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Mine is A+. I didn't know until my son was born -- he has my bood type.

I studied human biology at college a few years back (I was considering combining my experience in engineering with medical equipment/device manufacture...it never worked out but I thoroughly enjoyed the course) and had to write two papers for my exam. I wanted to do a study of blood types and inheritance but by the late 80's non-medical college students were barred from handling human blood. I ended up instead, breeding, identifying anomalies and sexing 2,500 fruit flies (6 generations) for my population genetics paper. I got an A for my work, probably for the effort of counting with a magnifying glass and fine paint brush.

Thirdson

• Curious Mind
    Curious Mind

Im a AB+. Use to be a blood donor however after finding out that AB+ blood can only be used for people with AB+ (we are 5% of the population) I decided to donate plama instead, it is used in far more procedures that my full blood could be. It takes longer to donate (45min - 1 hr) but I can donate more frequently (weekly, fortnightly or monthly) whereas full blood donations can only be given every 3 months. I especially like the fact that it helps people with cancer and burns.

I still find it incredulous that JW's can accept fractions but wont donate, if you want to recieve you should be prepared to give.

Mrs Curious Mind. (Mr doesnt know his)

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I am A postive,,,,,,,my sister says she is O, I thought siblings had the same blood type, if from the same parent. I have no idea, so if anyone knows,,,,,,, how does that work? Do the children from the same parents have one of the parents blood type, or can the child be born with a different from the parents blood type?.

Edited by - LyinEyes on 27 January 2003 8:34:21

• Fire Dragon
    Fire Dragon

O+ here! My mom was an O- and my dad is an O+....I guess that makes me a daddy's girl.

Fire

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Didn't know it until last year - but I am positive!

• Scully
    Scully

I'm going to attempt to give a brief lesson on genetics as it relates to blood type.

Everyone's blood type - like everything else about them - is an expression of two genes of DNA material. One comes from the mother. The other one comes from the father. When a person has "Type A" blood, it can mean that they received two "Type A" genes, one from each parent, or a "Type A" gene from one parent and a "Type O" gene from the other. Types A and B genes are equally dominant genes, while Type O is the recessive gene. (The same way the gene for brown eyes is dominant over the gene for blue eyes.) Think of the "Type O" gene in terms of "zero" to remind you that it "doesn't count" against the "Type A" and "Type B" genes. Someone who inherits a "Type A" gene and a "Type O" gene will be "Type A" but they do have the ability to pass on a "Type O" gene to their offspring.

I made a chart that shows what combinations are possible, with the mother's blood type, the father's blood type and finally the possible blood types of the offspring from those parents. I hope it makes sense to someone else besides me.

Mother

Father

Children can be:

AA

AA

AA

AA

AO (Type A)

AA or AO

AA

BB

AB

AA

BO (Type B)

AB or AO

AA

AB

AA or AB

AA

OO (Type O)

AO

AO (Type A)

AA

AA or AO

AO

AO (Type A)

AA or AO or OO

AO

BB

AB or BO

AO

BO (Type B)

AB or AO or BO or OO

AO

AB

AA or BO or AB or AO

AO

OO (Type O)

AO or OO

BB

AA

AB

BB

AO (Type A)

AB or BO

BB

BB

BB

BB

BO (Type B)

BB or BO

BB

AB

AB or BB

BB

OO (Type O)

BO

BO (Type B)

AA

AB or AO

BO

AO (Type A)

AO or BO or AB or OO

BO

BB

BO or BB

BO

BO (Type B)

BB or BO or OO

BO

AB

AB or AO or BB or BO

BO

OO (Type O)

BO or OO

AB

AA

AA or AB

AB

AO (Type A)

AA or AB or AO or BO

AB

BB

AB or BB

AB

BO (Type B)

AB or BB or BO or AO

AB

AB

AA or AB or BB

AB

OO (Type O)

AO or BO

OO (Type O)

AA

AO

OO

AO (Type A)

AO or OO

OO

BB

BO

OO

BO (Type B)

BO or OO

OO

AB

AO or BO

OO

OO (Type O)

OO

Love, Scully

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thanks for posting that, Scully. My mom recently approached me about donating a kidney. I can't do it, because of my own health risks, but it did get me thinking about blood types. My mom is O negative. So am I (hence the request). My sister is A negative. So that means my dad MUST be Type A (AO in the background). I can't remember my ex's blood type, but I DO remember it was negative. That was very important to my doctors when I was pregnant, because they wanted to be sure my babies were not at risk.

The way it was explained to me, incompatible blood leaking back from the umbilical cord for from the birthing process can lead to the mother creating antibodies against her very own child! This happened to a woman I know. Her second pregnancy was very high risk. The infant received several transfusions while in the womb. A tragic side-effect was that one of the blood donors had Hepatitis. This baby was born with liver damage. I am happy to report he has recovered, and is a healthy lad today.

...and for anyone still terrified of transfusions, remember to keep this story in perspective. Without transfusions, it is unlikely the baby would have survived at all. I wonder, if I were a faithful JW woman, if I would be courageous enough to have a baby. There are so many things that can go wrong, and a normal delivery can turn in to an emergency in a heartbeat. I am one of those girls that wants all that modern technology can offer, five feet or less from my birthing bed.

• outnfree
    outnfree

O-

Apparently, a slightly anemic O- who got turned away when she recently tried to donate blood.

I felt like many here -- if you're going to use fractions, you should be willing to donate the raw materials. I donated within 3 months after I DA'd myself.

For those who might not have been aware, as I wasn't, Rhogam, the shot they give Rh negative women post-partum, is a blood fraction. Being a good dubbie-candidate, I didn't take the shot post-partum after our son was born (my husband is O+). The very next June taking it became a "conscience matter." -- Don'tcha just HATE that when that happens?!!!!!

Bloody false prophets!

outnfree

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Jeez.

Nice to know I am up sh1t creek if something happens to me and I need blood.

I am type AB+ and from Scully's chart I am only compatible with other AB+.

When I was younger my doctor told me my blood type was rare but I had no idea.

All you lucky O- are compatible with anything!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit