Strangest thing you were called on the carpet for.

by Icansaylucky 65 Replies latest jw experiences

• Swan
    Swan

For watching the ducks. Not the football team here in Oregon, mind you, the ducks out back of the Woodburn assembly hall. I went out there with a friend and we watched the ducks during the lunch intermission. People thought we were getting "serious" by going out there together to watch ducks. We only watched the ducks because we were bored out of our [deleted] skulls!

Tammy

Edited by - swan on 22 January 2003 18:46:54

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Thunder Rider was councilled because my daughter would look at him carrying mikes at 7 months and say Da DA Da DA he was pulled in for smiling at her

• confuzcious
    confuzcious

I posted this in another thread, but I got counciled for using the old 32 cent stamps with the flag on them.

I was told that I shouldn't use those stamps because they had flags on them. They said, and I'm not kidding, that the brothers at bethel didn't like them.

I was the mag subscription guy at the time and I had to fill out those mag subscriptions and put them in the yellow envelope to send to the society.

I asked, 'well, you use money don't you?" and I was told that that was different because with money you don't have a choice buy when it came to stamps you did.

• Soledad
    Soledad

for painting my fingernails fuschia. and then for cutting them. and then for letting them grow back.

• blondie
    blondie

When I was young, I can remember an older sister who was short and well-endowed. She always wore a sturdy bra and tops up to her neck with a jacket over it. A young elder counseled her on wearing more modest clothing. Her JW husband (who was 72) grabbed the young elder by the ear and dragged him back into the library and shut the door. The young elder came out about 5 minutes later visibly shaken and went over and apologized to the brother's wife.

No one has ever had the gonads to counsel me about anything trivial. They save it for the more serious occasions. I scare most elders. They have to resign themselves to talking bad behind my back.

Blondie

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

Here's a kicker. I was in an accident, a drunk driver ran a stop light and T-boned my truck. I blew out 3 discs in my low back. I missed a lot of meetings because of my injuries and while no financial or emotional support was offered by anyone in the congregation, I was encouraged often to "get to the meetings". I tried to comply, but with my back in such bad shape I was not able to sit or stand for any more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time. The elders took me to one side and counceled me for being a "distraction" during the meeting. That was my last visit to a KH. I will never look back.

Thunder

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I was counseled once for having too wide a tie.

I was counseled for having a mustache.

I was ridiculed by a co for having too many keys on my key ring. "I must have too many toys".

I was counseled for saying one hundred fourty four thousand. I left out the one hundred AND fourty four thousand. Which is superfluous.

After I would give a talk, usually several publishers would tell me how much they liked my talks as they held their interest. An elder told me my talks were boring and wasted the congregations time.

I was dressed down for parking in a public street, legally, that the jw convention had no control over, after being told to not park there by one of the teenage security. I didn't move my car. For some reason that really pissed them off.

In one of the kh in a small congregation they had an elder that was mentally challenged. I am not kidding, this guy was obviously not all there. He had some crap job with the railroad cleaning out cars. When I first moved there and refused to be an elder, they didn't know what to do with me. So they started all over again with putting me at the bottom and offered me the "privilege" of monitoring the furnace thermostat. I thought that was hilarious, so I took on the job of checking this thermostat at the beginning of the meetings. This didn't seem enough to this poor sap, so he walks up to me and says,"if you don't want this privilege we can get someone else". I told him "why don't you do just that".

He stood there for it seemed like minutes and couldn't think of anything to say.

There were others but I don't recall them all.

Outoftheorg

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

A friend of mine had just moved to another congregation, but had not moved out all the firniture and stuff yet, so a few times he was in his old house clearing up. He was seen by one of the elders then, walking hand in hand with a woman. And the brother was single (aged 40), the elder at once summoned a committee. They did not bother to mention this to the brother in question, make a call or talk to him, but they wrote some lines on the seriousness of this incident etc., and sent it to his new congregation, asking them to form a committee and find out why he was behaving like this. OK, they did so (the elder who was behind all of this and had witnessed the shocking behaviour, was a special pioneer and thought of himself as being next to you-know-who) and summoned him to appear before a committe. "It's been reported you have been seen walking hand-in-hand with a woman on the date of so-and-so. Is that correct?" - "Yes, it is." "What do you think of such a behaviour?" - "I find it natural and good." "Is this a woman you are planning to marry?" - "No, no way am I planning that." "But, how can you say such a thing? Why can you then do such a disgustful thing? Who is this woman?" - "It is my mother." .......... So without any word of excuse or anything, the matter, the serious case, was dropped.

The same pioneer called me to appear an evening, but "just in front of me" as he put it (Wow! Was I lucky, no committee!). The reason? When I pulled down this white sheet - thing to be used with the overhead projector, I pulled it down when standing behind it, so that from the congregation's view, they saw the white sheet and then my legs were visible below the lower part of it, and that looked kind of funny, some youngsters smiled or giggled, and nothing an elder did should be considered funny bythe youth. My action seriously rocked the congregation's view of the elders as serious and hard-working older men.

Reproved by a committee and in effect having to resign as an elder because of visiting my df'ed daughter (who had asked for being reinstated and in fact was reinstated one month later), when she was ill with cancer.

• Marcos
    Marcos

Yeah,

When I was in Bethel in the early 70s the Society had a room in one of the buildings where you could go and choose clothing that had been donated by the brothers. It was COLD outside. I couldnt afford to buy a winter coat so I always layered a t-shirt, shirt, one or two sweaters and a nylon jacket.

I went to the clothing room one day and found a long winter coat. I only used it to go to and from work. Someone made the comment that I looked like Poland, 1942 or some such comment. Later, I was counseled by one of the factory overseers regarding my look and that it brought reproach upon the Society and upon Bethel. I was told to ditch the coat.

If the clothes werent good enough, why were they there for us to use?

Just another loving provision of the Society that ended up biting me in the a$$!

Marcos

Edited because I can't spel(sp?)

Edited by - marcos on 23 January 2003 1:54:45

• avishai
    avishai

LOL @ Swan!!!

I was busted for feeding those very same ducks. They said I needed to spend time w/ more spiritual pursuits. Geez! Were the ducks satanic or what?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit