You're Canadian When

by WildTurkey 48 Replies latest social humour

• Aztec
    Aztec

Hey you hoser Razorblade, I am across lake st. clair fyi. I love the Mckenzie bro's! I like your posts too!

~Aztec

• mouthy
    mouthy

Good you repented Razor...... I forgive you!!!! Aint I good?

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Something most Americans and Canadians don't know:

The only person born in a foreign country who ever became president of the U.S. was born in Canada!

According to the U.S constitution, a person can only become president if he or she is born in the U. S. That's why there was some controversy about whether Chester A. Arthur, the 21st president, should have had the right to the job.

Burke's Presidential Families of the United States of America says that despite the official birthplace in Vermont, Arthur "was probably born in Canada." Other sources make the same claim, almost off-handedly, but argue that since his parents were U.S citizens the controversy surrounding Arthur's eligibility for the presidency didn't rupture into a full-blown crisis.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

My last post set me to thinking:

George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, John Quincy Adams and other presidents were also born in the one country that later became known as Canada. They successfully seceded and formed a new nation. So they were born before there ever was a U.S. of A., and where? -- in that portion of the British Empire that later became known as Canada!

• Sargon
    Sargon
    George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, John Quincy Adams and other presidents were also born in the one country that later became known as Canada

This is all news to me. I would have thought most of these men were born in one of the 13 colonies. There wasn't much to English Canada prior to your American revolution. The area known as Upper Canada (now Ontario) basically became populated by the United Empire Loyalists following your revolution. It was the sons of these men and women who kicked American butt in the war of 1812.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Sargon,

If the 13 colonies hadn't engaged in a revolution, there never would have been a U.S.A. All of English North America belonged to Britain. The revolution took the colonies away from the British Empire and left what became known as Canada. True, the 13 colonies were not then called Canada, but neither were the territories now known as B.C., Alberta, Sask., etc.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Mouthy...I need an on-line grandmother to keep me in line and keep me in check.

If you wish, I will 'promise' to be good, and behave while here in your midsts.

Virtual roses to you Mouthy.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

Matty,

soda-pop or just soda or just pop is carbonated flavored seltzer water. such as Coke, Pepsi, 7UP, Dr. Pepper, etc. in the US and CA.

to JWs in the US and CA however the ony brand is SHASTA and it comes in 'coke' and 'green'.

(just like pudding is only chocolate and 'white')

used to be in the old days that soda pop came form a fountain that mixed the carbonated seltzer with the flavored syrup at the same time. that led to such delights as ice cream sodas, Italian creams, French creams, and egg creams.

If you ever get the chance to visit Atlanta Georgia--the best place to go is the Coca-Cola Museum.

Ravyn

• archangel01
    archangel01

WoW what a history lesson eh.....GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit