What is your job/career? Like it?

by ashitaka 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

I got married at 17, and had four children in 16 years. I was a stay at home Mom, until I started cleaning houses.

I started a cleaning business in 1987, with Princess. We called it MR Clean. (Marilyn and Rachel) After she quit working with me, to work for a mortgage company, a few years after she got married, my cousin worked with me for a few more years. Then Sharon had to go to work full time, for more money, and I got to hating cleaning so much, I finally phased out all my jobs and quit several years ago. I do NOT miss it. The money is good, but the work was too hard for two middle aged women. My back is much better now!!!

In 1993, while still cleaning houses, I became an independent distributor in a network marketing company (MLM). I did real well, and now am an independent with 3 companies. Somewhere in there I bought a computer, taught myself how to use it, and I designed web sites to sell the products for two of the companies, and do very well with International sales. I market nutritional, weight loss, and personal care products. I do enjoy it very much. Along the way, I took many seminars and classes and became a certified herbalist, but I don't use it very much anymore, and am forgetting stuff. I have books to look it up though, when the need arises. I have been able to travel a lot with one of the companies and spoke at conventions all over the world. I even was asked, by the parent company, to travel to Malaysia to introduce the new personal care line, in 1997. They paid. I loved it.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Undercar Technician. Fancy way of saying "mechanic". We don't like being called mechanics though. It's like I always say, "a mechanic knows how, a technician knows why".

I started out as a tire tech at Western Auto almost 10 years ago. Moved on to Midas and then Meineke where I stayed for 5 years. At Meineke I decided to specialize in undercar service which is brakes, suspension, and exhaust. I learned exhaust work from pros, one of which has been doing muffler work since the 60's. His father ran the exhaust on the original "Batmobile" by the way and this guy himself worked on Elvis' cars occasionally when he was in Memphis. I don't do exhaust work now but I do specialize in brakes which I enjoy fully. When the shop is running at full-tilt busy, I can have 3 or 4 brake jobs going at the same time.

And I make quite a bit more than the average for tech's. Believe it or not, the average around here is only in the $30k/year range. Our company has the highest paid tech's in the area, all well above the area's average. 2 years ago one of the techs from another store was the third highest paid person in the company, third only to the two brothers who own the company. The goal of our store is to have the first tech in the area (probably in all of Georgia) to break $100k. Which probably won't be me but I still do extremely well anyway. Next year I'll probably be paying taxes instead of getting a refund.

Mike.

• Valis
    Valis

I teach at a community college in Dallas. I've been doing it for almost 6 years now and really enjoy myself. I meet new people all the time, make great money, and don't work more than 25 hours a week.. Right now I'm teaching Help Desk and two A+ certification hardware classes....for any of you interested in my material or you want to infomally take my class have a look...If you wanted to follow along and get the books and attend class I can also arrange for college credit upon completion of the work......You would have to enroll if you wanted credit, but I'm always willing to help just for your own enrichment as well.

http://www.sassquatch.com/Hware

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    The goal of our store is to have the first tech in the area (probably in all of Georgia) to break $100k. Which probably won't be me but I still do extremely well anyway.

You can make that sort of cash working at Midas Muffler? I'm floored!!!

I'm still scraping along at $24K as a customer service rep. Man, do I need a career change.

Simon, thanks for changing my handle. I don't think I'll be able to help you with your algorithm symbols though, sorry!

• Solace
    Solace

I love my job.

Our agency provides food, financial support, home weatherization, health services and supplies to the homeless, low income and elderly in our community. Services are government funded and free to clients, similar to social services. I work in our main office, but I help in the field during the holidays, when the load is heavy, or during large food distributions.

I feel very fortionate to be able to help people, and actually make a living at the same time.

• willdabeerman
    willdabeerman

I am the Budweiser man. I sell beer(cases and kegs).to restraunts bars,and clubs in the metro Wash. Dc area.I love my job, it could be a career but those damn kegs weigh 160 lbs a piece and when your dragging them around 2 at a time 40-50 kegs a day it gets old and your back takes a beating.Im looking to get in the automotive tech field but i need to start school.(free beer kix azz also). cheers!

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

I'm a Customer Support Representative for an international semiconductor company. I help support field service engineers and customers by getting them the parts they need ASAP. Cool job, especially for the money, but it's not all that challenging.

I'm also a DJ (House/Techno music) and I'm working with several friends on turning it into a business. I make a little money here and there, but not nearly enough to live off of yet.

The time will come - hopefully by the end of the year, once we get our independent record label off of the ground.

:-)

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

I work for ADT Fire and Home protection. I am a security consultant and I actually do really like my work. I get to set my own hours within reason and I work with really nice people.

• yard dog
    yard dog

I'm a locomotive engineer. 12000 horsepower pulling 18000 tons at 55 mph for the 2nd largest class one railroad in America(BNSF). I work long hours and am on the road quite frequently but the pay is great(100,000G) as well as full retirement through the tier 1 tier 2 taxes and unmatched medical coverage. I wouldn't do anything else. I guess you could say it's in my blood.

• jelly
    jelly

I am finishing my education (B.S. degree) and am currently working managing my parents business. To be perfectly honest, if I knew two years ago what I know now I would not have left my other job. I started working for my parents after they made some very bad business decisions that very nearly cost them everything, things are better now however. So, to answer your question, I do what every small business manager does, everything. I do scheculing, fix the machines and computers, deal with customers, write reviews, and set pay. When I first started I spent most of my time dealing with day-to-day management issues, but things are better organized now so I can spend more time working on IT projects. I really should not complain my resume is going to look great; I have created a company database, written vb.net software that we use, traveled to Indiana to go to tech school, and am currently working on a company web page. Basically, now that the company is in the black again my job is to pad my resume.

Terry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit