What is your job/career? Like it?

by ashitaka 60 Replies latest jw friends

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I am a freelance court reporter. It was my best option being brainwashed that college was evil thanks to my fanatical mother who was a complete asshole when it came to rigid obedience to every remote suggestion the Watchtower ever made. Do I like it? I can do the job and do it well. It pays well. 35 years in the Borg distorted my thinking so much that I didn't know who I was or what I liked. Now at 43 I do know and am working on my plans to pursue what I love. But it's nice to have a job that pays me as well as any college graduate.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Wow, everyone here seems to have real jobs.

My job is a jobby-job, customer service for a textbook publisher. I do enjoy what I do though.

• BadJerry
  • Carmel
    Carmel

Senior Fisheries Consultant, Project Director for a fisheries project and independant researcher for fisheries (salmon) propagation and restoration.

carmel

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Cool jobs people.

My wife is a RDA (registered dental assitant) to an Endontist (I spelled that wrong, that's a root canal guy).......oh, the horror stories she brings home about teeth.

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

ash

• Aztec
    Aztec

I work in an art gallery. It doesn't pay great but I get to do something I am passionate about.

~Aztec

• Mum
    Mum

At present, I have a job in local government. I am the custodian/librarian of building plans, infrastructure maps, new construction documents in a large room. I maintain indices of the documents on file. I assist the public (civil engineers, construction people, homeowners, etc.) and people in my department (engineers, planners, their assistants, etc.) with locating needed information. I like my job because I like the people I work with and the members of the public who come in.

In the past, I have been a hotel reservationist, legal receptionist, legal secretary/office manager, French and English teacher, medical office manager, and Human Resources/Personnel assistant. My present job, however, is the highest paying I've had, with the best benefits. I bought a condo half a block from work, which gives me back a lot of personal time and reduces stress immensely.

I am studying court reporting, and I love it, although most people are pessimistic about my prospects for employment because of my age (55). But I want to freelance like Mega. I am also considering obtaining a master's degree in library science online from the University of Arizona.

I consider myself competent and adaptable. Sometimes these qualities work against me because of jealous co-workers (something I would not admit in the past because of fear of sounding immodest). I learn quickly and have a higher retention rate than average. The fact is, I am good at what I do in almost any field or environment. It has taken me a long time, however, to find a work environment that is supportive.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful because I'm not.

Enjoying my day off (another benefit of being a government employee),

SandraC

• mann377
    mann377

After Bethel I went back to school, 2 years. Did not finish my engineering track. Started my own construction business 20 years ago. I do historical restoration, and other remodels. I work for some law firms as their resident expert. I love what I do and make a comfortable living.

• AlanF
    AlanF

I'm an electrical engineer and design analog integrated circuits (analog microchips). I totally enjoy my work, as it's a great outlet for my creative instincts.

AlanF

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

cool job AlanF. Did you go to college while you were in the borg or after you left?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit