Biblical Names for your children

by JH 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

Considering where I work, I hear babies' names all the time.

I really like Caleb, Noah, Jared, Joshua, Jacob, John, Matthew, Stephen, Samuel, David..... the standards. I do not like Moses, Saul, Boaz, Nimrod (although I know someone who has that surname) and many others.

For girls.... Sarah, Rachel, Rebekah, Esther, Ruth, Jemimah, Keziah, Prisca, Jael... those are about the only girls' names I like from the Bible.

I can't imagine anyone calling their daughter Bilhah, Oholah, Oholibah..... although I have met someone who called their daughter Dorcas. Poor kid.

Love, Scully

• meadow77
    meadow77

I always liked Esther because she seemed like an important woman in the bible, I don't know but I always liked that story. I also always liked Isaiah, Caleb, Jacob, Gabriel, Zachariah, and I kinda like David too, but it's become so common now. Also for a girl I have always liked the name Eve.

Names to avoid I would have to agree Jezebel is definitly up there. I would probably avoid two biblical names together, sometimes it can just be overkill. Like I have a friend who is named Gabriel Abraham, and my husband's name is Timothy Joseph. His isn't all that bad, but I tell him his name makes him sound like a priest. I also used to like the name Issac, but there was this really doofy kid I knew from high school named Isaac, and now I could never name my kid that. It's funny how things like bad experiences with people can really ruin perfectly good name for you. HHMMMM maybe I'll start a thread about that.

"hello, may I speak to Opah?"

I thought it was Orpha, but either way I heard that was who Oprah Winfrey was named after. Her mother meant to name her after this character from the bible, but misspelled it, so Voila Oprah.

• bowels
    bowels

Slightly off topic but I once remember a couple in my old congregation that had their kitten "fixed" and named it Ebed-Melech or "Ebbie" for short.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I knew two brothers called Joshua and Caleb, real bible-freaks. Another set of brothers called Adam, Daniel and Seth, no Hezekiahs or Onesiphoruses though!

My exJW friend called his son Luke, but after Luke Skywalker, not the guy in the bible.

• Englishman
    Englishman

I swear that this is true.

My friend John Curry named his daughter Juanita.

Englishman.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Micha El. Who is Like God? Michael, the Arch Angel, not to be confused with Jesus of course.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit