Biblical Names for your children

by JH 35 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

I changed my question to this:

What nice biblical name would you give your child, and what was the ugliest biblical name you ever heard a witness give to his child?

Edited by - JH on 18 January 2003 12:3:36

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Since you changed the question, I'd better change my answer.

I didn't intend to give my son Biblical names. He has an old Saxon name as a first name and a Greek name for his middle, although that name appears in the Bible. He is named after a famous actor; not that I liked the actor but liked the name. The middle name was from a friend.

I knew a JW who wanted to name his first kid Maher-shalal-hash-baz. My dad talked him out of it. ("Think about what he'd face at school," he said.)

Thirdson

Edited by - thirdson on 18 January 2003 14:49:30

Edited by - thirdson on 18 January 2003 14:59:41

• JH
    JH

I guess no one would dare call their child Jehovah. There is only ONE.

Edited by - JH on 18 January 2003 13:40:37

• Jade
    Jade

I gave my son the middle name "Matthew"

I would never name them Cain or Jezebel

• Oreopandabear
    Oreopandabear

My daughter's name is Grace. (Wish I could tell you the awesome story behind it, but it will reveal too much information.) Oreo

• auntiem
    auntiem

Well I have a Matthew and a Jonathan and my daughters name is none biblical, but I think the most humerous I have heard is Obediah Nehemiah and they called him Obbie for short! There was a boy in my daughters high school who's name is Jehovah. She asked him how he got his name and he said his parents were pissed that his grandparents had joined the JW's shortly before he was born and hence the name.

Hugs!

AuNTiE M

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I, too, gave my kids biblical names. I rather found them in the cast of some American movies. :-)

In Germany everything is regulated and the officer can reject a name you want wo give to your kid. I once read in the newspapers that parents were rejected who wanted to give their offspring the name "Satan".

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

I did not give my kids biblical names. . .Shawn Edward and Heather Diane

My brothers have biblical names. . .Richard James, Andrew Isaac, Philip David (JW), Timothy Albert, Daniel Robert and Steve (JW) (ummm, I forget his middle name). . .oh well. . .

My name is biblical. . .Esther Diane. . and like it.

Love,

ESTEE

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

LOL......two of my boys have biblical names...Nathan Daniel,and Noah(middle name was going to be Luke,til I changed it at the last second to my mom's maiden name,Douglas).My youngest sons middle name is Michael,but that's because it's his dad's middle name.

• freedom96
    freedom96

There of course are the normal popular names such as Mark, Matthew, John, etc. But I always felt that those people who chose the really biblical names with unusual spelling and obviously biblical in nature were kind of trying to up one on another. "Oh look at me, I named my child (fill in the blank)" thinking they were so much more spiritual. Another way I felt some witnesses just carried it all a bit too far.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit