Biblical Names for your children

by JH 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Francois
    Francois

Here in Savannah several years ago, one of the bloods had twins and he named one of them "Continental" and the other one he named "Mark IV"

I swear. I couldn't make up something like that.

francois

• Mulan
    Mulan

We knew people, who just took words from the Bible, and made them names for their kids. The only one I can remember is Seriah. I always wanted to say Psoriasis.

Another family had a daughter and two sons, and she was pregnant. They were going to give the baby, if a girl, a really weird name, but it was Biblical.

Ours were Randy, Stephen, Rachel and Daniel. For the first one, we just needed a name we agreed on.................after that, they had to be a Bible name. I like them though.

The worst I ever heard, was a family with six boys, normal names. They finally had a daughter, and named her Hallelujah.

• Francois
    Francois

When my friend Shirley Whalley was pregnant someone had the nerve to suggest she name the baby Polly. Can you imagine?

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

The names of my four sons are, Daniel, Joel, Aaron and Joshua. The last three names were uncommon in my community but now it's the norm.

Guest 77

• DIAMOND
    DIAMOND

My children do not have biblical names but if Iwas to give them one I would name my son Titus. I just love the way thay name sounds.

Diamond

• flower
    flower

Well I am one of those poor souls whos jw parents gave them an awful biblical name. I guess it could be worse but it was tough growing up with no one able to pronounce my name correctly. I cant say what it is on here for privacys sake but a lot of people already know.

My parents have nine children and have used lots of biblical names in naming us, either first or middle names including Michael, David, Jonathan, Mark, Joseph, Prisca, Rachel, Joshua and my own which happens to be worse. My sister also named her son Caleb.

LOL well if any of my relatives ever lurk here they certainly will know who I am.... HI GUYS! Guess What? I'm an APOSTATE!!

flower

• Xena
    Xena

My daughter's name is Bethany. Didn't really choose it cause it was from the Bible...I just didn't care for Beth and tyydyy did so we compromised on Bethany.

She likes to see the churches with her name on them lol nothing like seeing your name up in big letters

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Our oldest son is Jacob,,,,,,, I liked it from the bible , but we liked Jake the nickname thebest....we still call him Jacob too thou. Hubby wanted to give him a tough name. We choose the middle name to start with an S so his initials would be the same as his pappaw........JSB.

Our daughter is Kelly Catherine. I loved the name Kelly since Charlies Angels, and I wanted my daughter to go to a darn Stucky's and find a key chain with her name on it. Mine name you never could. Kelly also became more popular due to the 90210 show, and it is just a pretty name to me. I decided on Catherine to go with the Irish name, since my mom and wild's mom are irish. And Catherine is very close to her grandmothers maiden name.

Our youngest son is Robert Chance,,,,,,,, we were told to name him because we need to make funeral arrangements when he was delivered. We were told he was a boy and had time to think of a good name. Robert is Wild's first name, so that was fitting, to give him something of the family like the other two. After the 5th amino, to draw fluid off of the baby's belly just to keep his heart and mine, from working too hard until he was born,, I always asked if things were better , would he live, any good news at all.

The doctor said to me one day........"There's not alot of hope,,,,,, but there's always a chance."

So it hit me to name him Chance..... In my mind, as a JW, he might have a chance, if not in this world in the resurrection he will have the chance to be a healthy happy little boy. Chance beat all the odds and is our miracle child.

Now his name is so him. He is strong, fearless, takes chances all the time, not always a good thing. But when I say his name it always reminds me of that little tiny boy , who fought to live,,,,,,, I am glad to tell him the story of how we named him, and he loves to here how he got his special name.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

That's beautiful, Dede. What a wonderful keepsake for him! Hey, looking forward to meeting you in March in Dallas. DON'T GET SICK THIS TIME!!!

Nina

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Being the character that I am, trust me, I'd have some fun with childrens' names...IF I had any. Of course, no worries, I would certainly give my child a name that is easily pronounced, and made sense.

Some names are pretty much plain, but I still like them. For boys: David, Alec (after my grandfather), Tobias (an uncle) and maybe Samuel (Sam for short).

For girls: Hannah, Sarah, Mary, Alma and possibly Carmen.

Names to avoid, IMHO: Cain (honestly), Lucifer (I like it, but well...you know?), anything with more than 3 syllables from the Bible, is a bad start for any kid going into primary school. With baby teeth falling out in the first few years, kids at school will be calling for something that sounds more like an incurable illness. In teenage years, it could get worse, image someone calling up for your son/daughter:

"hello, may I speak to Abednego?" or "hello, may I speak to Opah?" (book of Ruth, right)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit