Did being a JW stifle your ambition?

by ballistic 40 Replies latest jw friends

• nightwarrior
    nightwarrior

No as i joined later in life but still i was allways determined that my children would get a good education and a trade between there hands,in england most brothers end up as window cleaners or cleaners no ambition,as this is knocked out of them very subtly ,most of the kids are fed information and encouraged to aim for bethel & only special brothers end up there,so sad on the rest of the youngsters ,as they feel that there not good enough or cant make the grade ,i could cry for most of them.

but there parents are responsible for the familys beliefs WHAT A WAST of so many lives.

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

Balistic,

Stifled is an understatement. I was told at age 7 that I was going to be shepherding lambs and lions. What a crock. Pisser is I told my kids the same thing. Now my daughter is grown with a child of her own and my son is going into the Marines. I wish I had persued an education, I would have liked to have made a difference as a doctor or somthing. Instead, after highschool I took less than glamorous jobs and have scraped by financialy. I split from the org. when I brought some "discrepencies" in the literature to the elders attention and was told to "let it go". I found myself at age 30 without a faith, without a god and without a career. All was not lost though. I let my previously squelched imagination run wild and wrote a novel. Hooray for me! The book is scheduled for release in February. I intend to send a signed copy to the brothers who told me that I would never ammount to anything out in the "world". I got about 40 years left on this rock and I intend to make the most of it. I'll go out with a bang not a wimper.

Thunder

Edited by - thunder rider on 16 January 2003 23:28:9

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I wanted to study Physics... but was only "allowed" to get two years of training in Computer Maintenance.

• JH
    JH
    I wanted to study Physics

Who is she?

• auntiem
    auntiem

Well Ballistic,

I was not raised in the truth but started getting my JW education in my very early twenties. At the time when I was studying I was going to community college and doing very well in my classes. I was counseld by the sister who studied with me to forget about getting a worldly education because it would not be needed in the new system and to concentrate on getting a good education from Jehovah so that I could better serve him in the time of the end. cira 1978 It took me quite a long time to become baptised. cira 1987. The whole time I never went back to school I took menial jobs to support myself and then later, my family.I walked away for the b'org in 2001. Now I am 45 and can't find a job. Maybe it is time to go back to school!!!

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Ballistic, I'm living comfortably. When I was the age of 16 living in Brooklyn, I said to my companion, if and when the day comes I'm going to make money, I'm going spend it, and boy have I. My father's occupation of being a high steel ironworker gave me the priviledge of traveling which had a tremendous influence on my life.

I have a number of trades and business under my belt and I have made good use of them. I'm not afraid to take risks even when I was a witness. One of the things that I have learned is to accept the good as well as the bad. Bitching and complaining about things will get you no where. If your not lazy and a good learner, you'll get ahead in life. I'll take a happy and decent chap over those who bitch and cry about their lot in life. Life is what YOU make it. I don't wait for things to happen, I make things happen for my family and me even when I was a witness. You gotta be your own person.

I wish you the best in your endeavors.

Guest 77

• seedy3
    seedy3

"Did being a JW stifle your ambition?"

Well in a way yes and in a way no........ financially no, I was set in a career early on, infact I got started in my career at the age of 16 (1972). But sexually it did, I wanted to have it with so many women but never got the chance becasue I was a "GOOD" JW kid............. Well until I was in my early 20's. But by then I was married and had kids and such, so I still have not fulfilled my dream of doing em all........ sheesh what a sad person I am. (chuckle, chuckle)

Seedy

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I drew and wrote and did a plethora of things before I became a witness then I was so told the end was coming and thinking I will have forever to do this and that. Now I am trying to cram all the things I want to do in less than 40 years and I regret listening to those that told me no to pursue anything.

• vanilia
    vanilia

i was brought up as a jw, eventually went to uni, would recomment it to anyone, as i graduated last year and am now "living".

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Hi Ballistic......good question.

I was raised as a JW and I would definitely say it stifled not only my ambition, but just about everything in my life. I think my mother had a lot to do with it though. Her JW fanatacism and psychotic behavior practically killed any spirit or creativity I ever had.

I was always very artistic. I would find any excuse to draw, paint, or sew, using anything I could find. My teacher in 2nd grade thought I had talent. My mother thought I should be reading the WT or going in FS, and did everything she could to discourage me. But when she saw that her efforts weren't dampening my desire to draw, she started tearing up my pictures. I'd put about 10 on my bedroom wall. (One I drew entirely with pink "foundation", and lipstick.) When I came home from school one day, she'd ripped them down and thrown them away. I felt like my heart had been ripped out.

She was entirely against college. And during the years before 1975, she wouldn't even take us to the dentist. Her reasoning was that Jehovah would make our bodies perfect after Armageddon, so it didn't matter if our teeth rotted out! I'd really like to ask her now, though.....why the hell she was taking all those diet pills???????????

I did get back into dress designing and sewing. I'm just starting to get back into art.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit