Did being a JW stifle your ambition?

by ballistic 40 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

Did being a JW stifle your ambition? Did not needing to plan for the future affect your career choices and your consequent wealth?

I'm not simply talking about following the advice to not take up an education which has been discused many times, but I'm going further to say that those brought up in "the truth" had their whole philosophy moulded and shaped in a way which never searched for more or wanted more; a non-materialistic outlook.

Now some may still say materialism is evil, or that being brought up this way leads to a more content life.

The cynics, like myself, will say that keeping people 'happy but poor' is the genius of the rich.

I've had some success after leaving the org, after taking up education and so on, but it has taken time. I was completely numb in spirit when it came to trying to make a future or even wanting to.

I still say to anybody that there is a big difference between being brought up in the truth, at least from a young age, and those who shaped their lives first.

also I would just like to add to our US readers that we still have a great gap in this country between rich and poor with 85% of the wealth in 15% of the population.

• rocky220
    rocky220

Around the "1975" time yes.....rocky220

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

not at all! my only ambition was to get the hell out as soon as I turned 18.

• BIBLE BASHER
    BIBLE BASHER

not at all, if you are strong enough as a person the truth can give you the edge in business education and life.

• ballistic
    ballistic

1975, I would have given everything I had as well as my soul, and while I was very young in 1975, I do know people who gave houses and so on.

Kaykay, this is probably a post for people who were either "completely taken in" by the truth or "took the truth very seriously", depending on which way you look at it. I will always envy you non-starters.

• JH
    JH

How can you have any ambition, when you are a JW? The end is for tomorrow, remember!

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Good post Ballistic. Without a doubt the org. stifles one's growth in more ways than one. Personally, I have done many things even while being a witness. I'm glad I did what I did otherwise I would be a basket case. I have accomplished quite a few things and I'm glad I did my thing.

I really hope others will move on with their lives because life has a lot to offer.

Guest 77

• AnotherEscapee
    AnotherEscapee

It didn't just stifle my ambition it stifled me - fullstop. But I finally broke free and reclaimed my life and now I'm at university and loving every minute of it even if i am a mature student. I graduate this year and then I'll ride off into the sunset to find a job i feel is worth doing and its not gonna be window cleaning!

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

Yes, for a big time.

I should have left the jws' when I heard their first college discouragment.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Guest, glad you accomplshed something as a witness. I did nothing. I have bought a house (nearly finished paid for) and career in the 8 years I 've been left, and some qualifications. The only thing I can chalk up for all those years in is maybe being such a decent chap now. LOL. Maybe some good came out of it.

Another Escape, I did the late Uni thing. Hang in there. It was tough for me, but it sounds like your doing fine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit