How many here believed, down deep in your heart that the end would come in 1975?

by James Mixon 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972
    Look at to my face. I was the author of that nonsene, doesn't it?. However, nothing happened to me. While many naive witnesses sold their belongings and avoided to go to college so as to preach my false prophecy on 1975, I was comfortable in my flat in Columbia Heights. Nothing happened to me after the fiasco, because I continued to be the Jehovah's seer in the organization, without any censure. Brother Russell and Brother Rutherford were very proud of me in heaven, because I followed their steps. They, like me, proclaimed and enjoyed their own false prophecies deceiving many people, but they continued to live without censure with the money of the brotherhood. Is it not wonderful??
  • Magnum
    Magnum

OrphanCrow: I became pregnant in the spring of '73 and I spent my pregnancy in fear

You're a gal?????? The whole time I've been reading your posts, I've been picturing a guy! Maybe I missed some clues along the way. Don't know why I was picturing a guy... just was.

Oh well, the more I'm on this site, the more I kind of get to know the regular posters. I've always enjoyed and appreciated your contributions. Now I've just got to change my mental image.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

fulltimestudent: That's new to me ,Nathan tells the crowd "Freddy is full of sh--t.

There is not enough time left in 1975 for all the thing that FF says must happen before

Armageddon."

• Ding
    Ding

I never fully bought into it.

If I had known about all the earlier false prophecies, Russell's pyramidology, etc., I wouldn't have given it a moment's serious consideration.

Is it just me, or were the ones who hyped 1975 most strenuously also the ones who later denied the most vigorously that the organization had ever led us to believe that 1975 would be the end?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    fulltimestudent: Nathan was a sick man (from cancer) at this time, but I noted a tone of irritation in his voice, when he introduced Freddy to speak, by saying that there was no longer enough time left in 1975 for all the things that Brother Franz says must happen before Armageddon, to happen. Therefore Armageddon was unlikely to be coming in 1975.
    Worse, the following year, they sent Doug Held*, a Canadian who had been a former Branch overseer in Australia out here to firm up our faith (haha). Doug did that by telling us that Armageddon was likely to be 20 years away...

What??! Damn...I was gone by that time. Guess I missed that "new light"!

jamesmixon: OrphanCrow: enjoyed your story, good for you. I wonder how many young folks were damaged that came out of the 60's and 70's from the end of the world crap....

Thanks, James. I would imagine that there were many people damaged by the '75 fiasco besides myself. That was a particulary cruel teaching that left a lot of people with lifelong scars.

Magnum: You're a gal?????? The whole time I've been reading your posts, I've been picturing a guy! Maybe I missed some clues along the way. Don't know why I was picturing a guy... just was.

Heehee. You are not the first or only one to think I am a guy. My cover has been blown now.

Maybe it is because I have been out for so long...I don't think that I talk like a JW woman. I never have and I never will. I don't mean this disrespectfully, but...I think that most people who come out of the JW cult expect women to be a little quieter than I am.

:)

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    OrphanCrow: What??! Damn...I was gone by that time. Guess I missed that "new light"!

Wish to hell that I had also been 'Awaken' by that elders meeting, from my intellectual sleep. It took me another 15 years to wake up to my bloody stupidity.

I sometimes wonder about Nathan Knorr. I think he died mid-1977, roughly two years later. As he lay dying did he think of his wasted life. My impression is that he was a smart guy (from a business viewpoint). He managed the organisation and he could have had the ability to run any large corporation.

Did he in his dying moments think of his life as wasted in the "Lord's service," and wondered if he had also been fooled. Guess, we will never know. Unlike Charlie Russel and his tomfoolery of getting his secretary to wrap him in a sheet so that it looked like a Roman style toga. He seems to have been convinced he was going off to meet the Lord in heaven.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Didn't believe it even though it was talked about constantly. I did think it was going to happen...sometime...with about 50% surety.

It just didn't seem probable. But did I leave? Nooooooooooo!!!

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I believe it would have been better for our kids to tell them if you don't act right the

Boogeyman will get you. They will eventually grow out of that fairytale, but the damaged

create by the WT seems to continue for years. To tell a 7-8 years that all your class mates,

your grandparents, and other relatives will go up in smoke, that's horrible.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I knew you were a girl, I pictured you as a wise native American grandmother, an artisan with long grey plaits.

I am English by the way but I'm mad about American history.

I can't remember what it was you said (fairly recently )that gave the game away because I too thought you were a guy at first !

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Sorry I am posting to orphan Crow

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit