How many here believed, down deep in your heart that the end would come in 1975?

by James Mixon 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I was straddling the fence on that one, just in case they were right. I don't recall

telling anyone this is your last chance. My sister went to my mom and told her, you

have one year to become a JW. My ex- told her folks the same thing. I guess Jehovahs

spirit wasn't working on me, because I still had some doubts. Thankful no one has ever

told me, didn't you tell me back in 1974 we wouldn't be here today.

You think one would be embarrassed, credibility down the tube.

• prologos
    prologos

the 1975 date was a six year advance warning, so, with that much left in the old world, build a house, rather than rent, but did in 'needgreat' territory to be on the safe side, the slim chance that they were right this time.

wt lived up to expectation, no promise ever fulfilled.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    I was quite young in the late 60's early 70's, so a very much impressible mind. I think looking back I might have been 80% convinced but as the date 1975 approached I started to have some doubts. What if this was all a big hype and mistake? I recall in the early 70's studying with this brother that every study he would lead off with, the time is so short, you have to get baptized. Then he would point his bony finger at me and say, "when are you going to get baptized?" I eventually got baptized, not because I knew what I was doing but felt pressured into it and that is what all my witness friends at the time were doing. I recall in about 1973 my ex brother in law saying to me, "this system can't go one, I don't think we will even see end of 1974 in this system." Well when 1975 came and went and nothing happened and no acknowledgement from the WT, that was the beginning of the end for me. It took me another 10 to 20 years to do the slow fade.
  • blondie
    blondie
    I never bought into it realizing that Jesus said it would not come at a time you would think it to be...the Heisenberg principle.
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

prologos: also moved where the need is great, but I learned a new trade so

it worked out good for me.

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho
    In 1975, I must have been out of the loop because I was busy working and doing other things. I must have missed that bit of the end of the world because it looked okay to me as far as I recall. Oh, that's right, I had nicked off, got away from the bloody JW family. They thought I was about to burn up I suppose.............I only found out about it later, much later. That was interesting. Yes, I was being shunned at the time for crimes against everything............I know, a bit of hyperbole, but I couldn't help it and I'm so tired lately. Can't sleep.......
  • freddo
    freddo

What William Penwell said. I was 13 in 1975. Unbaptised Publisher/Approved Associate.

My Mother believed it with all her heart. My Dad, not so much.

At least they didn't sell up and Dad give up his good job and pioneer like my mother wanted them to do.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

william: I can understand those of you who were young at the time, your parents or

older men in the congregation wouldn't lie to you, right.

blondie: That's is what my mom kept telling my sister. LOL

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

umdertoecho: they told a BIG lie and they shun you.

freddo: so many brothers gave up good jobs, homes and common sense.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy
    Nope, it was all supposed to kick off in October 1975. As a callow youth at the time, I started my Pension in August of that year, the rules of the Scheme said I could not collect it before 2015.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit