WHEN people leave a cult...MAN landed on the moon? Or critical thinking......

by The Rebel 54 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Vivianne: " if every one is " special" that just becomes what everybody is ,ie,, normal"

The Rebel. No where in my post did I suggest every one was special. I said " each sincere post, is written by someone special"

Having said that I also wrote " I am not interested in splitting ropes with thinkers that do not understand empathy" so maybe I should back off.

The Rebel

• Viviane
    Viviane
    No where in my post did I suggest every one was special. I said " each sincere post, is written by someone special"

It's a principle, Rebel. If every post, person, tree, cat, dinner, is special, then none of them are.

Having said that I also wrote " I am not interested in splitting ropes with thinkers that do not understand empathy" so maybe I should back off.

Perhaps. The concepts of "understanding basic logic" and "has empathy" are not mutually exclusive, yet you seem to treat them as though they were.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Every dinner my wife makes is special and such does not render the previous dinners un-special or any equal to the others. Despite the fact that sometimes the menu repeats itself.

Please do not leave humanity out of your posts. When you stick strictly to the definition of the principle you sound a lot like the WT

Please don't get all sticky over this. You are correct Viviane but I believe you missed the point made by the Rebel

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Viviane - "If everyone is 'special', that just becomes what everyone is, i.e. normal."

Terrific.

Now I'm picturing a reality-style TV show on HBO, set in a world where everyone has newly-acquired superpowers, called "Special is the New Normal"...

• DJS
    DJS

Rebel, et al make some valid points. Respect is a 2-way street. I promise to be less of a wise ass if some of you all promise to do the following:

Respect debating – Nearly any OP can turn into a debate, and debating is essentially about 2 things – Facts and the Correct Interpretation of those Facts. Anything other than that is a tactic or strategy employed by someone on the losing side of the Facts but trying to ‘win’ points. A taxi driver’s opinion about the lunar landings, for example, should never ever be considered as equal to an astro-physicist’s, unless you can show a compelling reason.

Respect the Topic – If you can’t provide anything useful, avoid typing into the keyboard. Even better, conduct some very good research using the best empirical data you can find on the subject before posting. Understand as much of a 360 degree approach on the topic as possible before posting. And please, stop posting confirmationally biased tripe to support your lame-ass views and opinions. Become an empiricist.

Respect the freedom, access and privileges the www has provided you. Employ the Peter Parker Principle – with great power comes great responsibility.

Respect the Lurkers and Members – If you can’t provide empirical data or something close to it to support your views, frame it as an opinion. If you reach a dead end, stop posting, exercise self control, and stop wasting everyone’s time in your vain, narcissistic attempt to win an argument that you have lost.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Every dinner my wife makes is special and such does not render the previous dinners un-special or any equal to the others. Despite the fact that sometimes the menu repeats itself.

All that tells me is that you don't know what "special" means.

Please do not leave humanity out of your posts. When you stick strictly to the definition of the principle you sound a lot like the WT

The WT denies reality and twists the meaning of words to suit their agenda. Your complaint can be broken out as "when you stick to the definition of words, you are like those who lie about what words mean". You're literally saying a thing equals the opposite of the thing. It doesn't make sense.

You are correct Viviane but I believe you missed the point made by the Rebel

I don't miss the point. I reject it wholly. He writes of the "ridicule" for not possessing critical thinking opportunities on a thread he start to discuss the moon landing. He was provided with facts, evidence, where he could find the information on his own, read analysis of the data and was offered summaries of the analysis. He rejected all of this and attempted to use his feelings as a guide for a science question. He wasn't ridiculed, his argument was rejected. He wasn't abused, he was told that if he would not bother to do any work to learn, then there was zero reason to take his information-free feelings as a guide.

I reject his argument as an attempt to justify his lack of even cursory work and place it equal to those who have taken the time put the work it. It's laughable.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Well obviously posting is about right proportions. Often by reading and contemplating what a person has written, we unearth a well of riches.

Often I am inspired by questions raised by the pupils, willing to learn as much as I am by the masters. But I have also found some wonderful and inspiring teachers here. Admittedly there is also the odd eccentric, but I can live with that.

The Rebel.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Viv, you make some excellent points. However, this statement needs a bit of work:

"Every dinner my wife makes is special and such does not render the previous dinners un-special or any equal to the others. Despite the fact that sometimes the menu repeats itself."
    All that tells me is that you don't know what "special" means.

"Special", in the context of the sentence structure that was used does, indeed. reveal that the person knows quite well what "special" means. If the sentence had been "Every dinner is special.." then you have a point. However, that is not what the sentence says. It says "Every dinner that my wife makes..." which identifies those dinners as being special. Special in this case describes the meals made by his wife as opposed to all other dinners made by other people.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Depends on how he meant it, Orphan, but I can certainly see a case for your interpretation.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Viv: Depends on how he meant it, Orphan,...

Actually, how he meant it has nothing to do with it.

I only read exactly what he wrote. I didn't interpret it - I just followed sentence structure rules.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit