WHEN people leave a cult...MAN landed on the moon? Or critical thinking......

by The Rebel 54 Replies latest jw friends

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I have been smacked down more than once for poorly thought out posts.

But, I'm still here because I continue to want to sharpen my critical thinking skills.

So, thank you to all of you who keep me (and everybody) on their toes!

• Viviane
    Viviane

STA... You asked me to enlighten you. There is no whining or making it personal in critical thinking. You and Rebel are both doing that. Don't blame "English as a second language" ( you chose to jump in these threads), don't blame me for what you said or not responding the way you want, don't pretend I'm acting as a moderator, don't pretend I've the power to demand anything of anyone or that what you worry about is any way my fault or that I never answer questions of me.

Consider yourself enlighented.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Thanks everyone for the informative replys to my O.P.

Millie210. I found your post insightful and have read it many times.

Vivianne .This is where you and Rebel go wrong, "there is no whining or making it personal in critical thinking" Noted

Further comments from the Rebel when/ if he has something insightful to add to the thread.

The Rebel.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

I think I have something to say, or should I say to be shot down saying?

When I write I try to express myself in words. ( as I am sure we all do) Now these words we write must also express our individual personality, and the reader even then must require many assumptions to perceive those words as I wrote them.

So then surely critical thinking must mean not taking what you read at face value, or taking a few words from a paragraph, and then holding those words up to the light, whilst leaving the rest of the paragraph in darkness?

I mean it just seems so calculated that the more words you use the more ridicule you expose yourself to. Sometimes I personally feel words are like breathing,and I use them and take them for granted as I do breathing. So why must my words struggle to breath? Is that the way to communicate, to isolate words to be afraid to use them?

My guess is I will never be a good critical thinker, but that's ok. My painting is what is good in life for me. A painting coloured correctly, and a painting people can view and I hope see me personally in.

So critical thinking skills are the real problem to me. I need language and I need critical thinking skills to say my thoughts in words, but I have difficulty communicating this ....it's not like a smile or a kiss, or a painting, or air, or other insane noncence that makes a persons day.

The Rebel

p.s without the editing button, my words would have made even less sence.The editing button is an asset, even if my words are still unskilled in expressing my thoughts.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Millie210....

I read your post many times and my earlier posts on other threads today were posted based on the wisdom contained.

Post one was on the thread ; " To DA or not to DA. That is the question?

this I assumed was from Shakespeare's " To Be or not to Be, that is this question?

My answer was I think Skakespear was saying " To Live or not to Live, that is the question?

Thread two " VA shooting suspect...." And Frazzled replied to my post " The Rebel has summed the reason why this debate is going nowhere brilliantly...." All I said was "Guns represent to me Americans freedom of choice? I mean Americans should be able to do what the second amendment says......."

Now whilst I was pleased with applying my " limited critical thinking" I felt my answers were calculated and I noted by giving down to earth short responses, positive compliments followed. Such response I feel are a cheap victory if it lacks the senses and the depth of using more forceful emotional language when the heart wishes to speak.This is what I learnt from your comment Millie210 "Man must be able to lead two life's"

The Rebel.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    The Rebel:
    Thread two " VA shooting suspect...." And Frazzled replied to my post " The Rebel has summed the reason why this debate is going nowhere brilliantly...." All I said was "Guns represent to me Americans freedom of choice? I mean Americans should be able to do what the second amendment says......."

I also thought your comment nailed it. Personally I am fascinated by people who have the ability to communicate their ideas, concepts and insight accurately with few words and in that comment you did exactly that.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

I will choose to be the bigger person and I will quit having to explain everything you get wrong and everything else you read into my comments. Unless off course you want me to continue. I got plenty of energy but I usually take a break from the forums on weekends.

I will respect your right to pick apart my semantics any way you want but I will also exercise mine when and how I choose to. You have shown as many emotions in your critical thinking as anyone else here. You just channel it in a different way. You whine just as much as you perceive anyone else doing it.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    So then surely critical thinking must mean not taking what you read at face value, or taking a few words from a paragraph, and then holding those words up to the light, whilst leaving the rest of the paragraph in darkness?

It means the opposite, making as few guesses or assumptions as possible. It's not our job to guess what you mean. It's up to you to say it clearly.

• Viviane
    Viviane

STA, "being the bigger person" and accusing someone of exactly your own faults are time honored tactics of someone who has nothing of value to say. On the plus side, you've move into angry accusing and away from whining, so there's movement. Not progress, but movement.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    LMAO! Like you never left a question unanswered? Oh, sorry, I forgot... you were "bored". I told you I could keep going if you wanted to, which is more than a pinch ahead of not answering at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit