Ky. Bill to Repeal Clergy "Silent Right"

by Kenneson 82 Replies latest jw friends

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

I personally think that ALL religion uses the "Bill of Rights" to harm their followers to some degree. People and religion hide behind the "Bill of Rights" all the time. Do you want to see them weakened though? It's a Catch 22! Protect the children, but at what cost to freedom. Sucks doesn't it, to not have everything so black and white and laid out with exact right and wrong. People can say, "save and protect the children OF COURSE!" Yet what are we giving up? What freedom are we weakening that will cause further harm to children and adults later. No easy decision on that. Although, I would vote for a law that required religious leaders to report all abuse to the authorities. They should never act as a councilor or police man.

Edited by - whyhideit on 11 January 2003 1:49:44

• siegswife
    siegswife

Freedom? Freedom to molest isn't in my definition of that word. Even if innocent adults are charged and convicted that's better than one innocent child having to suffer sexual abuse in silence, isn't it?

Someone once pointed out to me that families of the accused are involved even when an innocent person is accused in order to defend the policies that exist within the WTS system. Yes they are, but if they truly know and love that person and know they're innocent, he or she hasn't lost near as much as a child who has to endure abuse with no way out.

Isn't it worth taking the chance of losing something (freedom) in order to give a silenced child the voice to protest abuse?

Edited by - siegswife on 11 January 2003 1:59:50

• whyhideit
    whyhideit
    Even if innocent adults are charged and convicted that's better than one innocent child having to suffer sexual abuse in silence, isn't it?

When we accept convictions that are wrong, we are going down a dark avenue

Isn't it worth taking the chance of losing something (freedom) in order to give a silenced child the voice to protest abuse?

I do not think locking up the innocent is going to solve the problem. There must be a due process of law, and that can not involve locking up everyone who has a finger pointed at them without evidence. Have you ever read "The Crucible?" For what you are saying is ...

"Burn them all and hope that we get at least one witch or two in the bunch"

Nothing can be worse then spending time in prison or having your life ruined, because someone wants to accuse you of something out of spite. Not every accusation is true!

Edited by - whyhideit on 11 January 2003 2:12:8

• abbagail
    abbagail

Whether the bill passes or not, the "good news" is that this article was shown on 44 media sites (thanks to Undf'd for the heads up!). And as quoted from the article above, the JW abuse "horror stories" were lumped right along side the Catholic Church's. So those members of John Q. Public who were not yet aware of the JW abuse problem, will surely be cognizant of it now!
    ------------------------------------
    One complete copy of the article can be seen here: http://www.lambsroar.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=1891#1891
    ------------------------------------
    And a list of the other 44 sites w/URLS can be seen here: http://www.lambsroar.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=1892#1892

Thanks/Grits

Edited by - Grits on 12 January 2003 13:38:44

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

I want to stress a point. I do not get the impression that people want all accused to be convicted. The point I gather from the movement, is that they want all accused to at least be turned over to the proper authorities, so that PEOPLE who know what they are DOING can take the appropriate actions.

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

GRITS

I thought it was appropriate to lump them together too. I like the extra heat and awareness it adds to a religion who tries to act like they are whollier then thou.

• siegswife
    siegswife

I'm not saying that at all. I happen to have some degree of faith in the justice system in this country.

What I'm saying is that these "religions" claim to have faith in God. From what I've read, God says it's good if a righteous man get's persecuted for the sake of righteousness. Isn't it better for a good man (or woman) to suffer for the greater good than for a child to suffer to protect molesters?

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

I don't think so, I think there has to better way. As a culture we should be beyond such trivia nonsense and should work out a system that prevents such action upon the innocent. I think the Bible is used to often to harm people that are innocent. I went over my posting limit. So I will add a response here. Getting innocent men and woman off the street and convicted is not helping the children. We need a system that finds the guilty and handles things in such a way that children are protected. We should not trade one human's rights for another's. I don't know about you, but if I got wrongly accused and had my life ruined because of it. I would not feel like I was "doing a far better thing then I had ever done." I would feel VERY wronged and upset! I would feel that justice was weak. Also, I have no problem with people being a Christian. I just do not want to see the Bible used to harm anyone, any more then it already has. The whole issue we are speaking about here was caused by the Witnesses misusing the Bible.

Edited by - whyhideit on 11 January 2003 2:29:34

• siegswife
    siegswife

You may be right...we should be...but we're not. Should the kids suffer abuse until we get it right?

• siegswife
    siegswife

Look man, I realize you might have a problem with me being a Christian, but that's really not the issue. I say Christianity be damned if kids are being hurt, get it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit