UK Gun Laws: Possession = 5 Years Imprisonment.

by Englishman 72 Replies latest jw friends

• ofcmad
    ofcmad

Ok... I HAVE to put my two cents in....

In the state of Georgia, crime statistics have significantly lowered since carry concealed permits were inacted. I love my handguns, rifles, and shotguns. I guess that is why I live in Georgia. Georgia does not require any registration of any handgun, shotgun, or legal rifle you purchase.

If you don't like handguns, then don't carry or own one. Oh, and when the cops show up to shoot the felon that is holding a gun to your head, ask us to put our guns down, since you are so adamit in your beliefs.

ofcmad

• Valis
    Valis

ofc...there are many states that do not require registration, so this doesn't make Geoergia particularly special..Georgia still uses the Instacheck system to scan for felons, and wanted criminals who might be buying guns. I recently read somewhere that some are urging the passage of laws designed to keep guns out of the hands of those who might be mentally ill and a danger to others. I agree w/this to some extent...any comments you all?

Check your state's gun laws here..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I read a comparison piece that compared violent crimes against persons stats a few years back. I wish I still had it for reference.

Chicago (Cook County, IL) v. E. Chicago, Gary and Hammond area, IN. The article noted that the areas have virtually identical demographics ( not to mention border each other in what could be considered the Metro Chicago area) had a siginifigant difference in crimes against persons , like murder, assault and battery, etc.

The thing that jumped out in this comparison is that Chicago ( Cook County) makes it virtually impossible for a civilian to possess a handgun. In Indiana the law allows for citizens to possess handguns with relativly little goverment intervention.

The Indiana suburbs had lower crime statistics in all crimes against people categories. Florida stats went down in the 80's when the new Concealed weapons law came into effect. "Bad Guys" behave better when a percentage of honest people are possibly armed.

The US Consitution allows the people to own and bear arms. A tyrannical goverment fears an armed population. Figure it out.

Why doesnt the liberal anti gun group ever mention the mass shooting and other gun crimes that occur in the European nations with the stictest gun laws?-- Just asking?

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Florida uses a phone in background check system and a 3 day wait for handgun purchases. I knew several gun shops in the West Palm area that "kept the guy in the shop talking" while the police were enroute to pick him up for outstanding warrants, etc. Sane legislation is out there, and and armed citizen is a good thing.

A county near me just lost funding for the sherriffs office and laid of most of its road patrol deputies this year. Exactly who will protect those people? Extreme case? Yes-- but having a police man onsite when you need him is a rare event. American's will always value the CHOICE we have to defend our homes on our terms. No one says you must own a gun and refuse to be a "Criminal" for choosing to defend my family and home if I need to.

• ring
    ring

Taken from: http://www.sierratimes.com/archive/ray/edrt041400.htm

So what has happened in other countries when they actually achieved complete disarmament of their citizens? Adolph Hitler attained "perfect gun control." Then he proceeded to murder millions of his people. The Soviet Union established gun control in 1929 and from then until 1953, 20 million political dissidents were rounded up and murdered. Turkey did it in 1911 and from 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians were exterminated. China established it in 1935 and from 1964 to 1981 then murdered 20 million dissidents. Guatamala banned guns in 1964 and from then until 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians were exterminated by the government. In 1970, Uganda did it. Then rounded up and exterminated 300,000 Christians between 1971 and 1979. Cambodia? In 1956. Then proceeded to exterminate 1 million "educated people" between 1975 to 1977. Total victims of "complete gun control?" 56 million.

It seems to me that history has proved that anytime you put your trust in the govt to provide for your "safety" by banning guns......you are at that governments mercy.

• LDH
    LDH

Two names.

Bernhard Goetz

Colin Ferguson

Now, I wonder how far Colin would have gotten if some citizen armed with a concealed weapon pulled out his own gun and rat-a-tat-tatted ol' Colin's ass?!?!?

I'm not advocating MORE guns, hell I'm a mother. But there are some benefits.

Lisa

You don't look so bad; here's another! Class

• Simon
    Simon

It's easy to kill people with toothpaste ... you just need a lot of it (about a lorry load) and somewhere high to tip it from.

So Simon, are you saying law abiding citizens that own guns, are murderers?

No, this is one of the crooked reasoning ways to try and win an argument - state the opposing view in a massively exaggurated way. Of course law abiding citizens aren't murderers ... since when can murderers be law abiding citizens?

Quoting Isreal is another warped example - they are literally at war. Of course they are encouraged to carry guns! Last time I checked, America was not being invaded by anyone.

• D8TA
    D8TA

Nope nobody is invading the U.S. as of now...

But it sure took more then dumping some tea in Boston Bay, now didn't it?

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound
    No, this is one of the crooked reasoning ways to try and win an argument - state the opposing view in a massively exaggurated way. Of course law abiding citizens aren't murderers ... since when can murderers be law abiding citizens?

My point, the only thing gun laws do, is take guns out of law abiding citizens hands. Criminals don't care about gun laws.

• Englishman
    Englishman

My point, the only thing gun laws do, is take guns out of law abiding citizens hands. Criminals don't care about gun laws.

This is indeed a massive problem to anyone who wants to reform the gun laws in the US. It may just take years and years for guns to become socially unacceptable, much in the same way that smoking is no longer condoned by the majority.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit