UK Gun Laws: Possession = 5 Years Imprisonment.

by Englishman 72 Replies latest jw friends

• Buster
    Buster

I'm in the 'individual freedoms' camp. An argument over the effectiveness of gun control laws is largely an 'ends justifies the means' discussion. Fact is, I want my gun. I want to keep it at home. I want to use it for hunting, self-defense, sport shooting, and whatever the hell else I feel like that doesn't hurt anyone. And I'll take responsibility for how I use it. And its not my damnable government's right to infringe those freedoms.

Something else: thousands and thousands of people died for our rights and freedoms. It is a spit in the eye of all that gave us these freedoms in to let them fall like a two-day-old newspaper.

Austin Powers' dad in Goldenmember: 'Two things I cannot stand, those who are intolerant of other peoples' cultures, and the damn Dutch.'

ThiChi, I was reading thru and planning to reply with the famous Archie Bunker quote to Gloria, "Would ya feel better, little gearl, if they wuz pushed outa winduz?". Damned if you didn't beat me to it.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Buster: hehe, yea, it poped right into my head when I read the post..........

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound
    Ladeez and gentlemen!

Please note that I have not expressed an opinion at all in this thread so far, all you see is an item of news that I have reported. But, I do know about guns and have owned a few, although I now choose not to do so by the simple expedient of not renewing my gun licence when it became due in 1992.

Englishman.

Better watch out E-Man, you might be accused of being an American.

• Valis
    Valis

One thing we could consider is that like anything else that gets criminalized, guns would be sold even more covertly and the governemt would have less control over firearms and who they end up with. I think there are a lot of extremists that buy guns legally that should be watched. The Branch Davidians we a group I think needed an eye kept on them, and the supremacsists and their ilk as well. They have a right to buys guns legally, but they don't have the right to use them to forcefully impose their views on others. One of the ways to monitor them is to track their legal gun purchases and make sure they are not used untowardly. I know several people who carry a hadngun...one my good friend Anne. She's had to defend herself twice...she's a short, older, white woman and a good target from criminals to go after..Jehovah help the fool who makes her a mark, because she would put a cap in yo ass! Not your average gun toting NRA member for sure... I don't think self defense, having registered gun ownership, or our constitutional guarantee to bear arms are bad things, just abused by criminals and by people who know better.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    "Shot up" by ... 1.5% ? Given stats in other countries, that seems quite a modest rise. Of course the difficulty is that you never know what would have happened without the changes - it could have been better ... or much worse. There is also the 'after effect' of legislation where people sell things that are no longer allowed, thus causing a blib in the number of guns in circulation (perhaps a possibility in the UK after the botched Dunblaine legislation?)

Just imagine what happens when and if the US were to suddenly have a new law that disarms the law abiding citizens of this country where it is illegal to own any type of weapon as a means of self defense. What percentage of crime do you think will go up as a result of the new law?

Quoting extreme examples like Hitler and Stalin is a poor argument IMHO.

It's a fine example for what happens when the citizens of Germany allows their Government to disarm the people of personal firearms or any kind of weapon that is used as a means of self defense during the period of 1938 to 1945. Then suddently the German police got replaced by German Soliders and the Gestapo.

How many innocent people have died because they had nothing to defend themselves because some asshat didn't like them for whatever reason it may be, may it be a Jew, homosexual, JW, Gypsy, black, mentally challanged, physically challanged, etc?

What makes you think it could not happen here in the US? It's not happening now, but what about 50 years from now? 100 years from now?

It took one crafty man in Germany to change the entire government to his liking. One day, it could happen to the US the same. We may have a crafty person in politics that could change the entire government from what we know now to something that could be a major nightmare to every citizen in the US. Which is why the US consitution is in place to prevent what your King had done to our country over 200 years ago.

We want to make sure it never happens again. But the liberals are forgetting what our country stands for and what we are trying to prevent from ever happening again. Like the old saying goes, "If man forgets the past, man is forever destined to repeat it". We may wind up losing our freedom one day if we allowed some crafty man to rule over our country just as Germany once did. I hope to God it doesn't, but we can never know nor can we forsee the future.

I think the real problem is not 'having gun control' but how do you get there after allowing everyone to have guns? I don't think the USA could ever change even if it wanted to and needed to.

We won't as long as there's folks like us making a stand for our rights to bear arms. The only way for the anti-firearm nut to change that is to kill us all. Good luck if they can pull it off. We will not back down for our rights for self defense of family and property.

Making it illegal to carry guns is a change. here's why:

Before: Guy stopped in the street carrying a gun. Not caught 'committing a crime' as such so goes free. Hard to catch actually pulling the trigger.

After: Guy stopped in the street carrying a gun. 5 Years. Ah ... much better.

That's what makes it all so scary. It will put good people in prisons just as much as the bad people. I'm talking about good people who care about their families, themselves, other good people, property, etc.

The problem the UK faces is that replica guns are so easy to purchase and convert into *real* guns but legislating against a replica is difficult - where do you draw the line ... PS2 games, cap-guns, water pistols etc ...

Ha ha, yeah, can you convert a PS2 game console to go out and actually kill real people??? Gimme a break!

Yizuman

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

I know an ex-green baret, that can kill people with toothpaste.

• Englishman
    Englishman

I suppose that if I lived in a handgun culture then I would want to own a handgun myself. I don't, as it happens, and have never ever heard a shot fired in anger, nor do I know of anyone who has been injured by a handgun. It's a very rare occurence in the UK, so I go along with the idea of handgun ownership being very restricted in the UK. My experience of guns has been limited to sporting guns, however I do find them fascinating items simply because of the engineering detail that goes into them.

I remain opposed to the police carrying handguns generally in the UK, so far it seems to be limited to special forces only.

Englishman.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I have lived all my life in the USA 67 yrs. It is my experience that very very very few citizens in this country actually carry a gun. Almost all that do, have a gun permit for a concealed weapon. It is the criminals that are found to have an illegal "stolen" or a legal gun "purchased" on their person, an illegal act in itself, if one does not have the concealed weapon permit.

The perception of europeans and others that we all carry guns, or that a lot of us do, is false. It is evident that if the population in the US is forbidden to have "own" a gun, only the criminals will.

Let me assure you that the criminals will. They do not abide by the law and will be very pleased if they are the only ones who do have a gun.

Having been a sheriffs deputy, I have heard this issue discussed many times among law inforcement personel. They almost always state that they believe the average citizen should own and know how to use a gun. It is the knowing or not knowing how to use a gun that is the problem in the eyes of the police.

Outoftheorg

• Englishman
    Englishman

This is interesting: Not too much violence in Switzerland, despite them being number 2 in the gun ownership league.

United States 29%
    Switzerland 14
    Finland 7
    Germany 7
    Belgium 6
    France 6
    Canada 5
    Norway 4
    Europe 4
    Australia 2
    Netherlands 2
    United Kingdom 1

Englishman.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit
    I know an ex-green baret, that can kill people with toothpaste.

OK Trauma Hound, you've hooked me. How exactly do you kill someone with toothpaste?

Expatbrit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit