What Kept You "In The Truth"?

by minimus 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Skeptically Yours
    Skeptically Yours

Minimus,

Parents and friends, really. Can't affort at this time to lose the good relationship with them all.

My folks are just so sweet and nice, and also other people I know in the religion. We just hang out and have a really good thing going.

Planning to slowly fade soon. Just haven't quite figured out how to fade out and still keep the relationships working.

Take care!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I sorta believed it. The whole Daniel & the march of world powers thing still works on me quite a bit.

• Jesika
    Jesika

My parents!

And I left as soon as I could.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I really believed it.

Me too. I hate being fooled.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

I think it was because it was drummed into my head from the time I was a small child. I never knew any different, and had the superiority complex that goes along with JWs...I thought we were right and better than the rest. Now I know better.

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

I thought it was the one correct religion, even though I never checked others on my own to prove it. When I realized it was just as full of it as the rest, I left. I did not want to waste anymore of my days, worshiping the tower.

• madison149
    madison149

It was all I ever knew, and I believed it. Then when I finally stopped believing it, I stayed in because of family. And I'm still in, but trying to fade without losing the family. Very sticky situation.

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

THREATS!

If I didn't get baptized as a JW in order to receive the 'mark', I would die at Armageddon.

~ I just didn't want to die ~

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother "NOT" Exerting Vigorously")

• Mutz
    Mutz

I started to study when I was 17 then baptised 6 months later. I started to have doubts and questions a couple of months after that. It took me a further 15 years to extract myself. I have always been interested in astronomy, science and archeaology so the pseudo-science I was 'learning' from the WT just didn't make sense. As for mankind being 6000 years old, what total and utter tripe. Fear is the key to holding people captive, fear of dying at armageddon, fear of being shunned and cut off from your 'friends' and family. Once you realise what bullshit it all is the fear melts away. Mostly the fear of losing my family kept me from jumping ship.

• minimus
    minimus

I think if my immediate family were to clearly see the light it would much easier to say BYE-BYE.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit