What must I do to be saved?

by StinkyPantz 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

First of all, I am agnostic. Maybe there's a God, maybe not. So I wonder, do I actually have to believe in God in order to be saved? Can't I just be a good person? If not, are there certain specific requirements?

• Southland
    Southland

Great questions ... I wonder the same things myself.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Well, I'd like to think that if there is a God then he'll look at a person's heart and see that they are as good as they can be though they are imperfect.

• ISP
    ISP

I wouldn't lose much sleep over it..........god doesn't. When he wants to do something about it.....he would let us know.....clearly .........not thru garbled religion.

ISP

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    First of all, I am agnostic. Maybe there's a God, maybe not. So I wonder, do I actually have to believe in God in order to be saved? Can't I just be a good person? If not, are there certain specific requirements?

Acts 2:21
    And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.'
    (Whole Chapter: Acts 2 In context: Acts 2:20-22)

Acts 4:12
    Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."
    (Whole Chapter: Acts 4 In context: Acts 4:11-13) Acts 16:30
    He then brought them out and asked, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"
    (Whole Chapter: Acts 16 In context: Acts 16:29-31) Acts 16:31
    They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be savedyou and your household."
    (Whole Chapter: Acts 16 In context: Acts 16:30-32) Romans 10:9
    That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
    (Whole Chapter: Romans 10 In context: Romans 10:8-10) Romans 10:10
    For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
    (Whole Chapter: Romans 10 In context: Romans 10:9-11) You can't consider yourself to be good because no one is good, not even me... Mark 10:18
    "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "None is good except God alone.
    (Whole Chapter: Mark 10 In context: Mark 10:17-19) Luke 18:19
    "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "None is good except God alone.
    (Whole Chapter: Luke 18 In context: Luke 18:18-20) Romans 3:12
    All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is none who does good, not even one."[ 3:12 Psalms 14:1­3; 53:1­3; Eccles. 7:20]
    (Whole Chapter: Romans 3 In context: Romans 3:11-13) You can't do good works to earn salvation, unlike what the WT teaches, having to go to door to door and count time in hopes you would be found in favor of Jehovah. Romans 11:6
    And if by grace, then it is no longer by works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace.[ 11:6 Some manuscripts by grace. But if by works, then it is no longer grace; if it were, work would no longer be work.]
    (Whole Chapter: Romans 11 In context: Romans 11:5-7) Ephesians 2:8
    For it is by grace you have been saved, through faithand this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God 9 not by works, so that no one can boast
    (Whole Chapter: Ephesians 2 In context: Ephesians 2:7-9) Once you become part of the family of God, you are no longer under the law of God, but under grace. Romans 6:14
    For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.
    (Whole Chapter: Romans 6 In context: Romans 6:13-15) Ephesians 1:7
    In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace
    (Whole Chapter: Ephesians 1 In context: Ephesians 1:6-8) Ephesians 2:5
    made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressionsit is by grace you have been saved.
    (Whole Chapter: Ephesians 2 In context: Ephesians 2:4-6) But it doesn't mean we can continue to sin under grace just because we're no longer under the law... Romans 6:15
    What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means!
    (Whole Chapter: Romans 6 In context: Romans 6:14-16) There is no requirements since grace is a free gift, paid for by the blood of Christ. How can you earn a free gift by working for it when it's free??? No cash deposit required. If you want it, go ahead and take it. Ask Jesus to come into your heart, we must confess (aknowledge) that we are sinners, in need of a Savior and He will come into your heart as promised in scripture. This is all what it means to be "born again" 2 Corinthians 5:17
    Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
    (Whole Chapter: 2 Corinthians 5 In context: 2 Corinthians 5:16-18) You will experience a total transformation from the old you to a new you. When about a year has passed and you look back, you'll have a jaw dropping experience of who you was were the year before to who you'll be one year then. You won't be alone to become a new person, for God will send His Holy Spirit to transform your life. You won't notice it much until much time has passed before you come to that realization just as I did. Yizuman

Edited by - Yizuman on 31 December 2002 21:35:30

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Yiz-

You can't consider yourself to be good because no one is good, not even me...

Actually I can consider myself a good person and I do. My husband is also a good person and my best friend etc.

But basically you are saying that agnostics wont be saved because of Acts 16:31? Correct? I just want to know what my chances are.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    But basically you are saying that agnostics wont be saved because of Acts 16:31? Correct? I just want to know what my chances are.

If you don't believe in Christ Jesus and prefer to believe you can be good based on your merits that you can be saved w/o being in Christ...I'm going to let Jesus answer this question....

John 8:24
    I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am I

claim to be>, you will indeed die in your sins."
    (Whole Chapter: John 8 In context: John 8:23-25)

As scripture showed, no one is good, none is worthy but God alone. But God loves us and wants to save us that he sent his gift of love, his Son Christ Jesus as a ransom for our sins so that we can be saved if we accept the finished work of Christ on the cross (or stake, however you want to believe). Christ has done his part, now it is up to us now whether we accept or reject Christ as our Savior. The choice is up to each and every one of us. I made my choice, I chose to believe and I have accepted Christ in my heart.

The choice is yours to make. I leave it between you and God.

Yizuman

Edited by - Yizuman on 31 December 2002 23:57:36

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I just want to know what my chances are.

StinkyPantz, what does "saved" mean for you?

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

Well said Yizuman! It's really not that difficult. If you find yourself doubting who Jesus Christ , there is a great book I just read it's called "A Case for Christ". I really enjoyed it. It was written by this guy a journalist who also majored in law, who didn't believe in Jesus, I believe he was an athiest and his wife became a Christian. He then started investigating for himself. It is a good read.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Stinkypantz,

Not long ago I would have given you the same list of scriptures that Yizuman gave you. I have grown some. I still would use the extensive list of scriptures to help a JW break from WT enslavement to salvation by works. We need that for them, so good work Yizuman.

Personally I wonder how this approach is going to help an agnostic or an atheist.

There is a wonderful message in the Christian Scriptures but also some confusing contradictions. I try to get the big picture without getting all wound up on technicalities. The bottom line is Jesus came and gave us a new view of God as a loving father instead of the bloody Jehovah of armies. He also fulfilled the "law and prophets" ending a "system of things" that failed to make anyone right with God. He destroyed for all times the notion of salvation by works or a code to obey and destroyed the need for a religious system to maintain a relationship with God, to be "one" with God. Where the "spirit of God is, there is freedom".

Despite the extensive quotes above, Paul at Rom 5:7 show being a "good" person is far superior to being a "righteous" person. I wouldn't put that down.

Jst2laws

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit