What must I do to be saved?

by StinkyPantz 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Saved from what? I don't know about you, but I don't need to be saved.

• undercover
    undercover

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia?

He laid awake at night wondering if there was a dog.

• nakedmvistar
    nakedmvistar

Maybe we'll all be "saved" or be given a second chance. a place where mental and physical imperfection will no longer be a factor. Where only the true language of God will be preached without human ego and pride to get in the way. Only then will we look back and understand how depraved we really were.

• logical
    logical

well if you dont believe in God or arent sure - just do good to others. Thats pretty much all thats required of Christians - to love each other and love everyone and anyone. Do our best cos we never can be perfect.

dont forget that many who are saved were not Christians and never knew Christ, but through their actions proved themselves worthy.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    funkyderek
    Saved from what? I don't know about you, but I don't need to be saved.

That's your choice Funky. I wish you luck in your endevors in life.

Yizuman

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    nakedmvistar - Maybe we'll all be "saved" or be given a second chance. a place where mental and physical imperfection will no longer be a factor. Where only the true language of God will be preached without human ego and pride to get in the way. Only then will we look back and understand how depraved we really were.

If not before the Rapture, there will be a second chance during the Tribulation. I want everyone to know and to take heart that if anyone gets left behind after the Rapture (calling) of the Body of Christ, you do have a second chance and I hope and pray that everyone takes that opportunity to take advantage of it. There won't be any more chances after that.

Yizuman

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I appreciate people like Yizu, but agree with people like Derek....why should I have to be 'saved'?

If God is not clairvoyant enough to see my good deeds without my seeking Him, then He is not a God at all. He should be able to see my good works and my heart no matter what 'obstacles' there are. He is supposed to be God, after all.

ash

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    logical - well if you dont believe in God or arent sure - just do good to others. Thats pretty much all thats required of Christians - to love each other and love everyone and anyone. Do our best cos we never can be perfect.

dont forget that many who are saved were not Christians and never knew Christ, but through their actions proved themselves worthy.

It would really be nice if one could enter heaven for simply leading a good and decent life and never done any wrongs in their life. Even if they did good works for others like helping an old lady cross the street or take out her garbage.

But the sad fact is that it isn't supported in scripture. As I have already shown in scripture. Doing good works won't cut it anymore.

Romans 11:6
    And if by grace, then it is no longer by works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace.[ 11:6 Some manuscripts by grace. But if by works, then it is no longer grace; if it were, work would no longer be work.]
    (Whole Chapter: Romans 11 In context: Romans 11:5-7)

Ephesians 2:8
    For it is by grace you have been saved, through faithand this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God 9 not by works, so that no one can boast
    (Whole Chapter: Ephesians 2 In context: Ephesians 2:7-9)

Question is, how can anyone earn grace, the free gift of God when it is free? In other words, how can you work for a free gift when you can just simply take it?

I had a friend who illustrated a story that goes like this....

There's a table that contained many variety of things on it. The word of God (i.e. The bible), Grace, Salvation, Heaven, Eternal Life, etc.
    A sign was next to the table that read, "Free! Take what you want!"
    Then people walked by and looked at the table, picked up the various things that was on the table and looked at it. Then they put it back on the table and walked away. It went like this all day long.
    Then Jesus came by to check on the table and saw nothing was taken and he began to weep.
    A fellow walked by and saw Jesus weeping, "Sir, what's wrong?" he asked.
    Jesus replied, "I have given all these free gifts to the people long ago and nobody seems to want it!"

Food for thought...

Yizuman

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    ashitaka - I appreciate people like Yizu, but agree with people like Derek....why should I have to be 'saved'?

If God is not clairvoyant enough to see my good deeds without my seeking Him, then He is not a God at all. He should be able to see my good works and my heart no matter what 'obstacles' there are. He is supposed to be God, after all.

I'll try and give you the best of my understanding why we should want to be saved to the best of my ability.

When Adam sinned and fell before the eyes of God. A curse had taken place when it happened. See when sin happened, a wall was wedged between God and man. The relationship there was broken.

God wanted to restore the relationship and destroy that wall that wedge between Him and man. So He did what he thought would restore what was lost. He offered His Son, Christ Jesus to bridge the gap between God and man and to tear down that wall that hindered the relationship between God and man.

Now, if we want to be saved, we need to accept the finished work of Christ who died on the cross on that of Calvary. He offered His life as a ransom for our sins in our place. So instead of us being punished for our sins, Christ instead took our punishment in our place. Jesus was saying something like this, "You don't have to die in your sins, I'll take your place and take the punishment for your sins instead."

How many times have you seen someone get into trouble and is about to take the rap for it and someone else steps in and takes the rap for you instead? I've seen plenty of that from people from time to time, people wanting to protect someone by taking the rap for their troubles so they can stay out of it.

Anyway, this curse remains from Adam to his decendants from generation to generation. It's like a genetic inheritence. This curse will remain on that person until the day he/she dies. If that curse isn't broken before he/she dies, they will die in their sins. That is a tragedy my friend and God doesn't want that to happen to anyone. So He offered us a way out of that.

Remember the day when Christ died, a veil (or curtain) within the temple split in two?

Matthew 27 50 And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.
    51 At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split. 52 The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life.

Do you know what that means? It means now we can have access to God FREELY if we come to Christ Jesus. The wall has been torn down folks. Victory belongs to God and God wants to share that victory with us. He wants us to have that same victory so He is holding out the victory to each and every one of us and asks, "Do you want it?"

Ezekiel 13:21
    I will tear off your veils and save my people from your hands, and they will no longer fall prey to your power. Then you will know that I am the LORD .
    (Whole Chapter: Ezekiel 13 In context: Ezekiel 13:20-22)

2 Corinthians 3:14
    But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away.
    (Whole Chapter: 2 Corinthians 3 In context: 2 Corinthians 3:13-15)

Corinthians 3:15Even to this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts.
    (Whole Chapter: 2 Corinthians 3 In context: 2 Corinthians 3:14-16)

2 Corinthians 3:16
    But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.
    (Whole Chapter: 2 Corinthians 3 In context: 2 Corinthians 3:15-17)

2 Corinthians 3:18
    And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect[ 3:18 Or contemplate] the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever­increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
    (Whole Chapter: 2 Corinthians 3 In context: 2 Corinthians 3:17-19)

2 Corinthians 4:3
    And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing.
    (Whole Chapter: 2 Corinthians 4 In context: 2 Corinthians 4:2-4)

I don't want to see anyone perishing, but I hope in my heart and pray that the veil will be taken away from you because when the day of the Lord comes, I would love it if any of you could be at my side standing in victory with the Lord.

Yizuman

Edited by - Yizuman on 2 January 2003 16:27:56

• jgnat
    jgnat

Stinkypantz, I have been mulling over your question for a couple of days now, and it still puzzles me. As a self-declared an agnostic, I assume you are unsure about many things. First of all if God exists. Also, whether anything happens after you die. By inference, then, you are not sure you have to be "saved" from anything. The first guy to ask "What must I do to be saved?" was a devout JW *ahem* I mean Jew. He was doing all that the laws of the prophets required of him, yet was unfulfilled. He therefore went to the Master to get the answer for his gnawing emptiness. I understand why he asked.

Why do you ask the question this way?

Whether or not God proves himself to us, and regardless of our fate after death, what we believe does affect how we live our lives now. JW's slave in the field, neglecting family and shunned ones, because of their belief in armageddon-around-the-corner. I believe that love triumphs over evil. Because I believe this, I have in my more heroic moments, given love to the unlovely. Such behavior would not be logical or wise for a believer in entropy. So the way I see it, the salvation you could benefit from now, as an agnostic, is to be "saved" from the most unlovely parts of your self. Are there things you could do or chose to believe, to "save" yourself from those unlovely parts?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit