More Venting

by gilwarrior 50 Replies latest jw friends

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

However, I think that the idea about being a truck driver would be a good idea. Thanks RevMalk. I will looking into it.

Gil, you're in Vegas? I 'might' be able to help you out if you're interested in driving truck. Let me know, and I can make some calls for you.

Rev

PS. Give the guy a break, it's hard being down on your luck, and hitting that depression. Some support you guys are giving, if you don't like his venting, then read another thread, that simple. It's not like he asked for money or anything, he was upset and he looked to YOU for a little support. And that was his first mistake apparently!

• Solace
    Solace

I know,

Why dont you just come here while I beat you with a large stick! Gheesh guys, be a little nicer why dont ya?

(((((((( Gil ))))))))

Seriously, this is what I would do.

Scan the want ads and make visits to the unemployment office, even while you are employed. There is nothing wrong with keeping your options open and bettering yourself. Sometimes when your current supervisor receives a call from a potentially new employer, they will see you as more valuable. You might even get a raise from your current employer since he knows you are out looking.

Make a day of it. Buzz around town and pass out resumes to every establishment you would enjoy working at, or wouldnt mind working at. Even if somone isnt currently hiring, they may be next week. I have gotten jobs simply by walking in and asking for an application.

Be aggressive but not pushy. If you know someone is hiring, drop off a resume. If they dont call you after a couple of days, check back with them and let them know you are still interested if they havent already filled the position.

Appearance, hygene and demeanor is important. Looking neat and professional during an interview is benificial, even if the job doesnt require it. First impressions mean so much, especially when dealing with the public.

I was also never too proud to start at the bottom and work my way up. Sometimes you have to stock the department before you can manage it.

Good luck Gil, I wish you the best.

BTW, How is your bum?

• Jesika
    Jesika

I am not trying to beat him down. Have you read the threads he has started? It is the same thing over and over. He has been given this advice already.

First it was I have no job and no friends I am going crazy.

Then, I am going to fail my test (the cab driver one) and I don't know what I will do then.

Then, yay I passed the test (my fav).

Then, I don't have enough hrs and I suck at my job.

Then, well, you get the picture.

He has been helped alot here and I just wish he would take the advice already given to him.

This poor me pity me thing is old, sorry.

I have been out of work pretty much since Feb and I don't post about everytime I go on an interview and I don't get the job. I don't post how I feel like a loser everytime I don't get the job. I email my friends here if I feel like talking to someone about it if I am upset.

I think Gil writting down in a journal when he is upset is a GREAT idea. Then he can cool down and if he deems it nec. then post something. This------"It's the end of the world" routine is redundant. He knows some people from here on the board(that live in Vegas) he could call and talk to about job leads in Vegas that I think would be helpful.

I have also posted things when I have been upset, but the samething over and over? There are so many different avenues he could tap into and it is frustrating to see him not using them.

I have applied everywhere---Walmart, grocery stores, the mall (30 different stores), Blockbuster, temp agencies, online, in the newspaper, etc and I haven't found a job yet!!!

I am just saying he should go out and try and find a solution instead of just venting here about it all the time. Hey it is cool to vent, but after you vent you need to do something about it.

I hope Gil finds a job and happiness.

Jesika

edited to add,

Ps I am not yelling, I just like this size type, it is easy to read. I promise I am not yelling.

Edited by - jesika on 30 December 2002 20:48:40

• WildHorses
    WildHorses
    First it was I have no job and no friends I am going crazy.

Jesika, this may very well be the reason he post to us about his troubles in life. Should we further isolate him by telling him he shouldn't come to us? Being alone in a city where you don't know anyone has to be hard.

• Mary
    Mary

Hey Gil, if you're in Vegas, I know some guys that are hiring for a job: I think it pays about $150,000,000

Edited by - Mary on 30 December 2002 21:3:2

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

Wow, I don't think that I have never written a thread that has pressed so many people's buttons!There is not much I can do over what I have already written and posted. All I can say is that the next time I post a thread I'll choose my words more carefully.

• LB
    LB

Gil you have to remember that we all recall the recent posts you've made. One post told us how you sit in a movie theater all day and then blow what little money you have on the tables. Another post has you bleeding out your ass. Now you complain about a lousy job.

If I've ever seen anyone with a victim mentality it's you my friend. Your success lays in your own hands. Time to take charge of your life.

• Jesika
    Jesika

Lilacs,

I understand what you are saying. I am not saying he can't come to us, but through this board he has met people in his city. He isn't alone in that city anymore. I think this would be a good chance for him to call upon some of his new found friends for advice or leads on jobs in his area. Instead he comes on here talking about resorting to stealing. Come on!!!!

I understand he was upset, so I think writting his feeling down on paper is a good idea.

btw thanx for the correction.

Jesika

edited to fix a sentence

Edited by - jesika on 30 December 2002 21:36:35

• Solace
    Solace

People vent for different reasons.

Some people have depression and yes, these things seem "this" bad to them all the time. Some of us are stronger than others. Some of us have close friends, parents, spouses, boyfriends, or girlfriends to tell our problems to. Others are completely alone and want to crawl in a hole and die.

I personally do not like to talk about my problems with anyone, not even myself, but I dont think someone should be belittled for doing so, no matter how often they do it. If I feel I cant help someone, or make a valid point to benifit someone, I try to keep from posting.

I am not perfect. I know I have told a few people off who have offended me in some way, but to slam someone just because we dont want to hear about his problems is awful. Gil did nothing to us, other than come to us for advice.

Its like, he didnt force us to read his thread. It was clearly titled "More Venting". If someone doesnt want to hear venting, maybe they shouldnt read it.

I personally believe that we are where we are as adults by the choices we make in our lives. We can take control of our own lives if we are physically and mentally able. I also know that not everyone can do this. Depression or anxiety can be debilitating and actually make someone non functionable.

Jesika,

You made some valid points.

You mentioned the many places you have applied and how you also have been out of work for some time. Im sure that could have helped Gil by not making him feel so alone in his situation.

Sometimes people think in the terms of, "Well, I dont have a job and you dont see me complaning etc."

Can we honestly understand someones situation unless we are actually in it?

Maybe the harsh comments made from others could have been e-mailed to him so as not to humiliate him in public?

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

If I've ever seen anyone with a victim mentality it's you my friend. Your success lays in your own hands. Time to take charge of your life.
    This may be the case, but then there are ways to go about helping him if people care so much. Listen, I see crap here over and over and over again, and does it annoy me? Sure, but then I just leave it alone. It's none of my business unless I make it my business. So what kind of mentality is it when we attack someone that obviously needs some sort of help, even if it's therapy to build confidence? I don't know Gil's history, I've never seen one of his posts, but when there are people trying to be supportive, let them be. It's really not hurting anyone. It's like when my son annoys my daughter, I tell her to ignore it, she's older, and if he insists on wearing a sock on his head, let him be (I've never actually witnessed him with a sock on his head btw). We all go through different spells in our lives, and different things effect us, but surely attacking a guy looking for help is no cure. The simple fact of the matter is, if he is constantly posting the same things, he's going through some sort of faze, or he's reaching out to us for whatever reason. Hell, maybe it has nothing to do with employment problems. For all we know he might just have a serious underlying problem he's trying to deal with, and if we shut him out, we can't help him, and if we don't want to help? Then go read something about Ray Franz or something, that kept us occupied for a while, haha. Bottom line is, if something is annoying here, why not just walk away without insulting someone? What is the harm in him posting this stuff even 1000 times, if it doesn't interest you, move on. We're all grown ups, and we have that power. He's NOT harming anyone, and if he posts this stuff until no-one listens, then he's posting to himself. I don't know, call me crazy, but I'm always willing to help a guy out, and if I get screwed in the end, so what, I did what was right and that's all that matters. And of course, as my momma always said "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all", and sometimes I think this board needs a big dose of my momma.

Rev

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit